Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CYCC Regional Qualifiers

Default CYCC - Playing-Up an Age Section(s) - OK

Hi Ken:

I agree that juniors should have full freedom of choice - almost. If they are good, and want to play up a section, or more than one, to play their peers for the championship, they should be free to do that. The only limitation I would have, is that a player playing up cannot be more than 100 points lower than the lowest-rated player in the section. Parents push children, and we cannot have them placed in upper sections inappropriate to their rating ( no matter how much the parent argues their wonderkind is " underrated " ).

The big fear in doing this appears to be that an under-age player, George, 7 years old, will win the U 10 years old Open section. Then when the WYCC comes up, and the world competitors are much stronger than the equivalent Canadian peers, George ( more likely his parents ) will get cold feet, and want to be the " official Can. Rep. " in the U 8 Open WYCC! Problems......

I say we make the rules clear, and known, and then people choose.

I have no problem with George exercising his freedom to chose to play wherever-the-hell he wants to. BUT if he won the U 10 Open CYCC bursary, then that’s where it HAS to be used! If he plays in the U 10 WYCC, he gets the bursary to help defray costs, and gets the free room and board from the organizer, as the “ official “ Canadian rep.

But if he chooses to play in the WYCC U 8 Open, he is free to do it, but loses the bursary, which will then devolve to the second place CYCC U 10 Open finisher. And he will no longer be an “ official “ Canadian Rep., getting free room & board. There is an U 8 Open CYCC Champion who has already won that position/bursary.

George is simply an “ extra “ player, paying his own way throughout in the WYCC U 8 Open section he chose.

I don't particularly see any problem with this. And if George's parents object, tell them all must follow the rules! You knew them when you chose – and now you’re stuck with your decision. And you can sic the devil himself on the CFC to try to get the decision changed, and we will “ not be moved “! Our resolve will be strong in the face of the evil wind! We are right, and will hunker down and weather the storm, and come out stronger on the other side for it.

And it gives the juniors almost total freedom to play in the CYCC where they feel most confident and comfortable.

Why not??

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 02-02-2012 at 03:48 PM.

This can be simply and easily solved with a Motion (or Motions) just to clarify rules. Imho, it is time to stop this slight off-topic (three pages already were devoted) and move to Qualifiers.

One more was publicized at chesstalk ( http://chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=6217 ) - Toronto Qualifiers for 2012 CYCC, Monday, Febuary 20, Family Day.

Does the CFC give any special treatment for website/newsletters spaces for these events?
    .*-1

Default CYCC Playing-Up Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    This can be simply and easily solved with a Motion (or Motions) just to clarify rules.
    Hi Egis:

I am willing to bring a motion to implement my " CYCC Playing-Up Rules " I have set out here, to the 2012 Spring Meeting ( April ).

But first I would like more public input to see if I have consensus on my position. There are those who are dead against allowing any playing-up - I'd like to know the extent of the opposition.

Bob A

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    There are those who are dead against allowing any playing-up - I'd like to know the extent of the opposition.
    The motion can clarify who can play in sections with several options:
    everybody who is younger (imho, this should be);
    only two years;
    only two years + a special Execs decision for a younger player (seems this is practiced).
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Egis:

I am willing to bring a motion to implement my " CYCC Playing-Up Rules " I have set out here, to the 2012 Spring Meeting ( April ).

But first I would like more public input to see if I have consensus on my position. There are those who are dead against allowing any playing-up - I'd like to know the extent of the opposition.

Bob A
    Hi Bob, I am respectfully "dead against allowing any playing-up". I have to run to play chess now, so we can chat tomorrow or something. But until anything is changed, when we run the CYCC Qualifiers this year, is playing up allowed or not? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hi Bob, I am respectfully "dead against allowing any playing-up". I have to run to play chess now, so we can chat tomorrow or something. But until anything is changed, when we run the CYCC Qualifiers this year, is playing up allowed or not? Thanks in advance.
    Aris,

Fred is correct:
    the rule was strict that players in the CYCC had to play in their own age group. Of course, exceptions could be granted, but such exceptions should be considered on case by case basis on organizer's discretion.

The case in point:
    Why Canada didn't have a representative in U18 Open section at 2010 WYCC?
    I know for sure that we have registered one of younger players for this section.
    Why he wasn't admitted?

Maybe you, Aris, could shed some light at what actually happened in Greece?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Aris,

Fred is correct:
    the rule was strict that players in the CYCC had to play in their own age group. Of course, exceptions could be granted, but such exceptions should be considered on case by case basis on organizer's discretion.

The case in point:
    I know for sure that we have registered one of younger players for this section.
    Why he wasn't admitted?

Maybe you, Aris, could shed some light at what actually happened in Greece?
    So, to confirm this, for the upcoming CYCC Qualifiers, players must play within their 2-year age group? I would agree with that, but will enforce whatever the rule actually is.

Re the 2010 WYCC in Greece, sorry, but I have no awareness of what you are talking about. I was the main arbiter in the U18 Open section, independent of being Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Aris,
    Why he wasn't admitted?
    I'm not sure how it is related to the topic but the case was very simple - Greeks allowed us to have 2 official players in U16.
    So, we found no reason to register one of them in U18.

I wonder if restricting someone from playing in an under 18 chess section when they are any age under 18 would withstand legal challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    So, to confirm this, for the upcoming CYCC Qualifiers, players must play within their 2-year age group?
    The short answer is - yes.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast