Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: CYCC Regional Qualifiers

  1. #11

    Default Jan. 1 Birthdays & WYCC

    Hi Hal:

    This is what I have always understood.

    For example, if a child was born at 12:01 AM on January 1, and turned 18 on Jan. 1 in the year of the WYCC, then they would be eligibleto play in the WYCC U 18 Open section, right? The reason would be that at 12:00 AM on Jan. 1, they were still only 17 years old.

    And as I understand it, if the child was born at 12:00 AM on Jan. 1, they would be treated the same way - theoretically, at the " start " of that year, they were still 17 years old. Right?

    Bob A

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Hal:

    This is what I have always understood.

    For example, if a child was born at 12:01 AM on January 1, and turned 18 on Jan. 1 in the year of the WYCC, then they would be eligibleto play in the WYCC U 18 Open section, right? The reason would be that at 12:00 AM on Jan. 1, they were still only 17 years old.

    And as I understand it, if the child was born at 12:00 AM on Jan. 1, they would be treated the same way - theoretically, at the " start " of that year, they were still 17 years old. Right?

    Bob A
    Just thinking about this makes my head hurt.
    What Fred said makes the most sense,

    "Surely those born on Jan 1 are to be treated the same as those born on Jan 2, anything else would just be silly."

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kanata, Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    749

    Default

    Hi guys, if I may suggest, here is a way that I find convenient for ages :

    For the year 2012 :

    [U8 born >2003, U10>2001, U12>1999, U14>1997, U16>1995, U18>1993]

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hi guys, if I may suggest, here is a way that I find convenient for ages :

    For the year 2012 :

    [U8 born >2003, U10>2001, U12>1999, U14>1997, U16>1995, U18>1993]
    Hi Aris,

    Yes, you're right.

    But I would think, a table would be more clear:

    For the year 2012 :

    U8 born in 2004 or later,
    U10 born in 2002 or 2003,
    U12 born in 2000 or 2001,
    U14 born in 1998 or 1999,
    U16 born in 1996 or 1997,
    U18 born in 1994 or 1995.

    In any case, the category is defined by the year of birth.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    For the year 2012 :

    U8 born in 2004 or later,
    U10 born in 2002 or 2003,
    U12 born in 2000 or 2001,
    U14 born in 1998 or 1999,
    U16 born in 1996 or 1997,
    U18 born in 1994 or 1995.

    In any case, the category is defined by the year of birth.
    Michael, I think the age group Uxx is not limited only by two years:
    U18 born in 1994 and later (1995, 1996, 1997, ..., 2012
    U16 born in 1996 and later (1997, 1998, 1999, ..., 2012
    etc
    .*-1

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Michael, I think the age group Uxx is not limited only by two years:
    U18 born in 1994 and later (1995, 1996, 1997, ..., 2012
    U16 born in 1996 and later (1997, 1998, 1999, ..., 2012
    etc
    Egis,

    This is the main point:
    Normally the age group IS limited by two years.
    There could be exceptions, but every such exception should be approved by the organizers.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Egis,

    This is the main point:
    Normally the age group IS limited by two years.
    There could be exceptions, but every such exception should be approved by the organizers.
    Players choose the appropriate sections. There is no rule that younger, let say 11 year old, can not compete in U16 or U14.
    .*-1

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Players choose the appropriate sections...
    Sorry, Egis, but in reality a player's choice is not sufficient - organizer's approval is required.
    It's a small difference, but important one - to avoid possible negative feeling, if a younger player won't be allowed to compete in older section.

    It's a similar issue if 1700-rated player chooses to compete in U2200 section, when U1800 section is available.
    Some organizers allow that without questions, others require additional fee, some don't allow that even for a fee.
    In all cases an agreement between a player and an organizer is required.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

  9. #19

    Default CFC Policy on Age Group Playing-Up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Sorry, Egis, but in reality a player's choice is not sufficient - organizer's approval is required.
    Hi Michael:

    If what you say is true, is it not also true that the organizer must from the first advertising of the tournament, publicize the rule he is using for his tournament, so all know in advance? Surely he cannot exercise just arbitrary discretion in each individual case.

    Also, I have some concern that if what you say is right, CFC should not accept bids that don't allow playing up age groups. I think we want the best to win the group sections, regardless of age.

    Bob A

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I think we want the best to win the group sections, regardless of age.

    Bob A
    Hold your horses Bob. On the surface, that sounds obvious, but think it thru.

    Say some hot shot 7 year old decides to play in the U10 section instead of U8, and he wins 1st, what happens? Remember, we are also picking our champions for the WYCC. Does he then go to WYCC as our U10 champion, or can he then switch back to our U8 champion at WYCC? What about the poor kid who did win the U8 at CYCC? And what about the 2nd place kid U10 at CYCC? Not so simple anymore, eh. I think we should discourage, if not outright ban, playing up an age category at the CYCC!

    Do we have any history of kids playing up an age group at the CYCC? What were the ground rules, and where there any unintended consequences or problems?
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 02-02-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •