Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 19. Suggested Items for the April Meeting

Blog Entries

Post French speaking volunteer

How about bringing forward a volunteer any time a change like this is required? With all due respect the World we live in has become much smaller for this petty continuous cry for bilingual services without any alternative provided in the same time.

There are thousands of languages in the World and possibly hundreds spoken in this bilingual country of ours. If I would want anything also translated in Romanian, I would offer my services to perform that translation. Of course I do understand French is an official language (I do know it BTW...), but the logic behind my point stands!
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I would like to look at the issue of member volunteers, and specifically whether any can be conscripted to sit on the Long Term Planning Committee and the Membership Drive Committee.

This is an initiative of the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) - they posted on the discussion boards on this on Dec. 9, 2011.

Bob A, GTCL Gov./CCC Coordinator
    Given the limited resources available to the Membership Drive Committee, I think that committee presently has enough committee members. In fact, after our committee finishes emails to the list of 2167 ex-members ED Gerry Litchfield sent us, I am presently inclined to at that point recommend to President von Keitz that the Membership Drive Committee be disbanded.

If the CFC advertising budget for this term were to become greater than nil, I would have wished that we had an Executive officer on this committee who would have had authority to sign agreements on behalf of the CFC [edit: he or she could be outside the committee, however, and still sign cheques for a committee member to expend]. This was the case last year, when the Membership Drive Committee then consisted of 2010-2011 CFC President Gillanders. In case we need to be refreshed with CFC Handbook regulations, here are those for what I think may be pertanent to this (from section 2 of the Handbook):

CONTRACTS

9. (a) All contracts, engagements, and formal arrangements, shall be signed by one of the President or the Vice-President, together with one of the Secretary or Treasurer; provided that the Assembly of Governors may by resolution appoint any other Officer to sign on a specific occasion; the seal of the corporation, when requested may be affixed to contracts, documents and instruments in writing signed as aforesaid or by any officer or officers appointed by the Assembly of Governors.

CHEQUES

b) The Assembly of Governors may appoint all necessary signing Officers in connection with any bank accounts in the name of the Federation and in default of any specific required, all cheques and withdrawals shall be sufficiently signed on behalf of the Federation, if signed by one of the President or the Vice-President, together with one of the Secretary or the Treasurer, and all deposits or routine banking transactions shall be sufficiently signed or authenticated by the signature of any individual officer.

CFC Membership Drive Committee Chairman Kevin Pacey
    Ottawa
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 01-09-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I agree with Chris but win lose and draw are not the only outcomes of a game.

We have 1-bye, 1/2-bye, 0-bye, 1-forfeit and 0-forfeit. Any others I've forgotten?
    You forgot 1/2-0 and 0-1/2 (cell phone ring or third illegal move but the opponent cannot deliver mate with a series of legal moves).

1-1/2 and 1/2-1 are theoretically possibles. Even 1-1 is not forbidden but that would bring the game of Chess into disrepute and the players in other games would likely appeal. Also, this would produce rating inflation.

The arbiter can apply one or more of the following penalties:

warning
    increasing the remaining time of the opponent
    reducing the remaining time of the offending player
    declaring the game to be lost
    reducing the points scored in the game by the offending party
    increasing the points scored in the game by the opponent to the maximum available for that game

expulsion from the event.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 01-10-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    You forgot 1/2-0 and 0-1/2 (cell phone ring or third illegal move but the opponent cannot deliver mate with a series of legal moves.

1-1/2 and 1/2-1 are theoretically possibles. Even 1-1 is not forbidden but that would bring the game of Chess into disrepute and the players in other games would likely appeal. Also, this would produce rating inflation.

The arbiter can apply one or more of the following penalties:

warning
    increasing the remaining time of the opponent
    reducing the remaining time of the offending player
    declaring the game to be lost
    reducing the points scored in the game by the offending party
    increasing the points scored in the game by the opponent to the maximum available for that game

expulsion from the event.
    I am only talking about the symbols which are readily available in Swiss Sys.
    Yes, for other situations than over-the-board results, the symbols remain as they are:
    H = half-point bye ; B = full-point bye ; U = unpaired (withdrawn).

I have searched recent tournaments, and I cannot find other situations, but I am sure there are symbols for:
    forfeit win ; forfeit loss ; whatever else.

Yes, some of these symbols will be based on English words.
    But these other results are relatively infrequent.

At least by using + , - , and = for over-the-board results, we can reduce the use of symbols based on English words for most of the crosstables.

Chris Field.

I have seen the crosstables on the CFC website and I understand the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    I am only talking about the symbols which are readily available in Swiss Sys.
    Yes, for other situations than over-the-board results, the symbols remain as they are:
    H = half-point bye ; B = full-point bye ; U = unpaired (withdrawn).

I have searched recent tournaments, and I cannot find other situations, but I am sure there are symbols for:
    forfeit win ; forfeit loss ; whatever else.

Yes, some of these symbols will be based on English words.
    But these other results are relatively infrequent.

At least by using + , - , and = for over-the-board results, we can reduce the use of symbols based on English words for most of the crosstables.

Chris Field.

At one time the Office required crosstables to be in the + - = format for submission and I spent a lot of time translating my crosstables for submission!

I assure you it was no fun at all and I was using MS Word + E-mail for my submissions so there was nothing automatic about it.

I think this is a move we should be proceeding with and if we require a dozen or so exception codes for the obscure off the wall stuff then this is something that should not unduly burden the Office.

Do we have a consensus that the REALLY obscure stuff wouldn't happen more than once every 25 tournaments or so? (i.e. anything other than +, -, =, the various results involving byes and the 1-0 or 0-1 forfeit)

Do we REALLY need a special result for 'game adjourned due to PCB's from blown ballasts dripping on the table'? (I actually had that in a Manitoba Open I directed some 25 years ago) I think not!

crosstables
    Some time ago crosstables had towns/cities where the events took place. Now it is only province. Can it be corrected to show a more exact place?
    .*-1

Blog Entries

I agree with Chris but win lose and draw are not the only outcomes of a game.

We have 1-bye, 1/2-bye, 0-bye, 1-forfeit and 0-forfeit. Any others I've forgotten? Each have different meanings with respect to ratings and tiebreaks.

My bottom line is that as long the software can support it - that we don't have to designate some poor 'volunteer' to change the more obscure results in cross-tables - I'm all for it.

I have always been strongly in favor of French-language services in the CFC as I am well aware that the CFC's name includes the words "OF CANADA" even if I may have from time to time rolled my eyes at some of the things I've seen coming from the FQE and AEM.

We don't have the resources to do everything the FQE would like (and much of what they like is inimical to the CFC) but what we can do we should and this is one of them.
    Any such changes will require changes to the rating program, so any such approved motion would be subject to available funding to support it.

Default rating programme

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Any such changes will require changes to the rating program, so any such approved motion would be subject to available funding to support it.
    Fred, are you saying that the rating programme reads the results W, L, or D, as well as the symbols for other results?
    It should be a relatively simple fix.
    Again, we're not asking to change other symbols - only the 3 symbols for over-the-board played games.
    Lyle notes that the symbols + , - , = were in fact originally used.
    They are available in Swiss Sys. The only other change required is to modify the forms which TDs submit. Thad Suits may have to do this. Again, it should be a very simple fix.

Chris Field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I would like to look at the issue of member volunteers, and specifically whether any can be conscripted to sit on the Long Term Planning Committee and the Membership Drive Committee.

This is an initiative of the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) - they posted on the discussion boards on this on Dec. 9, 2011.

Bob A, GTCL Gov./CCC Coordinator
    I think that anyone who was willing to serve would probably be accepted on either committee. Conscription could lead to a constitutional crisis.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast