Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 19. Suggested Items for the April Meeting

Default 19. Suggested Items for the April Meeting

Motion (moved by Christopher Field, seconded by Pierre Dénommée):
    That Crosstables / Tableaux de résultats be posted on the CFC website in the international format, using the symbols + for win, - for loss, = for draw.

Discussion:
    This is the format used in all international chess books.
    It is readily understood by people who speak any language.
    We need to remove the default use of English symbols in this, our BILINGUAL country.
    The Swiss Sys software has these symbols readily available for all TDs to use. Unfortunately, they are referred to as "Math Symbols" instead of "International" or "multilingual" symbols.
    The forms which TDs submit for rating could be modified to change the standings to this format, even if the TD has not used it.
    I would also like to see an attempt made to update all old results to this format, but I realise that would take some time and expense, so I would start with new events.
    This would help to make the French language website more effective.
    Last edited by Christopher Field; 01-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Default 19. Suggested Items for the April Meeting

This thread has been opened to allow Governors to post items they would like to see on the agenda for the April meeting.

Default CFC Member Volunteers

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    This thread has been opened to allow Governors to post items they would like to see on the agenda for the April meeting.
    I would like to look at the issue of member volunteers, and specifically whether any can be conscripted to sit on the Long Term Planning Committee and the Membership Drive Committee.

This is an initiative of the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) - they posted on the discussion boards on this on Dec. 9, 2011.

Bob A, GTCL Gov./CCC Coordinator

Default TDOCP motion

We need a TDOCP motion. I will put some flesh on this proposal later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    We need a TDOCP motion. I will put some flesh on this proposal later.
    Pierre, Simon Ong and Hal Bond will be actively pursuing an improved motion for submission to the next quarterly meeting. I'd advise you to get in touch with both of them in order to coordinate your efforts.

Blog Entries

Posting it for discussion ahead of time might avoid problems too.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I plan to recommend an improved bonus point formula. I hope, if possible, to also recommend some action to address under-rated juniors.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

On a FIDE report, + means unrated forfeit win and - means unrated forfeit loss.

A good change that I am willing to second would to to change for 0, 1 and ½ for games that have been played and + and - for unrated forfeits.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    Motion (moved by Christopher Field, seconded by Pierre Dénommée):
    That Crosstables / Tableaux de résultats be posted on the CFC website in the international format, using the symbols + for win, - for loss, = for draw.

Discussion:
    This is the format used in all international chess books.
    It is readily understood by people who speak any language.
    We need to remove the default use of English symbols in this, our BILINGUAL country.
    The Swiss Sys software has these symbols readily available for all TDs to use. Unfortunately, they are referred to as "Math Symbols" instead of "International" or "multilingual" symbols.
    The forms which TDs submit for rating could be modified to change the standings to this format, even if the TD has not used it.
    I would also like to see an attempt made to update all old results to this format, but I realise that would take some time and expense, so I would start with new events.
    This would help to make the French language website more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    On a FIDE report, + means unrated forfeit win and - means unrated forfeit loss.

A good change that I am willing to second would to to change for 0, 1 and ½ for games that have been played and + and - for unrated forfeits.
    Pierre, I am not sure on this.
    We are talking here about crosstables or tableaux de résultats.
    Numbers refer to the opponents.
    Currently, the symbols used for the results are the default English language abbreviations W for win, L for loss, D for draw.

I am just talking about replacing these symbols with the language-neutral symbols + for win, - for loss, = for draw.

I hope that this will be acceptable:
    In a tournament of 30 players and 5 rounds, for example, a possible line for player #12 goes:
    12. name rating +24 -6 =14 +8 -4 2.5 (final score)

instead of
    12. name rating W24 L6 D14 W8 L4 2.5

The crosstables / tableaux de résultats are displayed in both the Englsih and French websites.
    I think it is much better that language-neutral symbols be used, rather than English based symbols.

Chris Field.

I agree with Chris but win lose and draw are not the only outcomes of a game.

We have 1-bye, 1/2-bye, 0-bye, 1-forfeit and 0-forfeit. Any others I've forgotten? Each have different meanings with respect to ratings and tiebreaks.

My bottom line is that as long the software can support it - that we don't have to designate some poor 'volunteer' to change the more obscure results in cross-tables - I'm all for it.

I have always been strongly in favor of French-language services in the CFC as I am well aware that the CFC's name includes the words "OF CANADA" even if I may have from time to time rolled my eyes at some of the things I've seen coming from the FQE and AEM.

We don't have the resources to do everything the FQE would like (and much of what they like is inimical to the CFC) but what we can do we should and this is one of them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast