Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5b. FIDE Report

Default 5b. FIDE Report

FIDE Report January 2012:
    There have not been many developments since my report in late November.

The Sport Accord World Mind Games took place in Beijing from December 8-17. Three competitions were organized for 16 elite men and 16 elite women . A 7 round rapid event was followed by a blitz round robin and a 7 round blindfold tournament was the finale, for a total of 58 rounds. I was the Chief Arbiter for the events and found the experience intense but satisfying. Sport Accord has confirmed that the games will take place again next year and unofficially for another 2 years thereafter.

Istanbul Olympiad: We are still without an Olympic Co-ordinator so these duties are being spread out between Ilia Bluvshtein, Michael von Keitz, Fred McKim and myself. The main task remains one of fundraising for our teams. We are not alone in our elusive hunt for dollars. During my stay in Beijing, Turkish Federation President Ali Yazici advised that the Turkish Government has reduced their contribution to the Olympiad. The event itself is still solid according to FIDE CEO Geoffrey Borg, but a more modest production will be the likely result.

If any of you have ideas for Olympic fundraising please let me know. For the moment the fundraising activities are essentially comprised of donations and designated tournaments. Again I encourage all of you to be in touch with prospective donors and organizers in your area to promote our Olympic efforts.

2016 Olympic Bid: As you know, seed capital was acquired from the provincial government by a group in Toronto to prepare a bid for the 2016 Olympiad. In December the committee was restructured and most of the fundraising personnel have left the team. David Cohen was the instigator of these changes and continues to work on the project. As FIDE Rep I remain in regular contact with David. His activities are currently centred around the “bid book”, which is part of the contractual obligation to the province. David intends to use the bid book as part of his pitch to corporations, which is planned to commence in February. The proposed budget of $25 million is ample for both the World Cup and the Olympiad, but task is daunting nonetheless. The bid deadline is May 31. The CFC will have to be satisfied with the fundraising/sponsorship progress in order to support the bid.

What is a current status of the A. Kovalyov fedeartion-change application?
    .*-1

Argentina has objected, which means we must wait them out in order to avoid huge transfer fees to them. So his transfer will still go through within the same 2 year time frame as originally foreseen. He is eligible for our Zonal next year (but not the Continental) because the World Cup is in 2013.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Argentina has objected, which means we must wait them out in order to avoid huge transfer fees to them. So his transfer will still go through within the same 2 year time frame as originally foreseen. He is eligible for our Zonal next year (but not the Continental) because the World Cup is in 2013.
    Do you know the exact date he can play for Canada ?

No I don't. It will be sometime before the end of July 2013. The rules have been changed again, so it could be as early as May 1st.

If any of you have ideas for Olympic fundraising please let me know. For the moment the fundraising activities are essentially comprised of donations and designated tournaments. Again I encourage all of you to be in touch with prospective donors and organizers in your area to promote our Olympic efforts.
    Thank you, Hal, for your work representing our Federation in FIDE!

I have a couple of ideas for Olympic fundraising:
    1) To register CFC as RCAAA eligible for tax exemption.
    2) To adapt more friendly policies. When prospective donors and organizers hear about such policies as "use it or lose it", it's become very difficult to convince them to support such organization...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

"Use it or lose it" are you referring to the right to represent Canada at international events?

I've never heard it stated in this way before but if a player who has the right to represent Canada abroad chooses not to we can hardly compel him / her.

For me it's a 'no-brainer' that the financial support of the Federation to pay for or assist to pay for such representation should go to the one who actually goes as our representative whether it be the champion or a designated substitute.

Or have I misunderstood what you are saying?

Hi Hal, thank you for the work that you are doing in representing Canada with FIDE.

I have a couple of questions:

Do you know if Wesley So might want to become Canadian?

Also, I have a question about the IO title? I didn't apply for it, and I know that from now on there will be a requirement to attend a seminar to get it. I didn't really want to get it because it will be accompanied by a fee which will have to be paid every few years, but I am worried that there might be some new regulation indicating that tournament organizers of norm events would have to be IOs. Was there any discussion to that effect?

Wesley So currently receives a salary from the Philippines as an elite sportsman. As long as that continues I doubt he will switch.

IO titles - yes there was a discussion about IO titles becoming a requirement. I can't see that happening across the board. Possibly a FIDE calendar event will someday require an IO in the mix. Organizers are the ones who typically find the money though, and FIDE knows that very well.

"Use it or lose it" was stated in the context of funding. The basic premise is that we pay for the champ if he/she want to go, but no one else. This may be seen as a grouchy way to cut costs, and no doubt there are more progressive, inclusive alternatives. I'm just saying that too often we overlook the need to cover the cost of staying alive - all programs should be subject to this reality to the fullest extent possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast