Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18c. Proposal for a Canadian Chess Team Championship (Porper)

At least in Lyle's adjourned game, his opponent was there to witness that Lyle didn't have Bobby Fischer helping him.
    In live match play we accept that it is impractical to have a TD present but the opponents can see each other.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

As a practical matter, directors do not have players in the hall at all times during the game. It is common for players to adjourn to the restrooms or even outside the hall (usually to the front steps for a cigarette) during the round.

On one occasion I stopped players who were out in the foyer who were analysing a rook endgame which would not normally be a matter for TD intervention except the analysis was of a game still in progress and the kibitzers were located just outside the mens' room where either player would certainly recognize the position if they went to the mens' room. (I probably would not have intervened had they been in the skittles room which was further away) ("Sorry guys - take it to the skittle room!")

The sole time I have EVER expelled a player from a tournament was 25 years ago in Winnipeg in a club event where a player was found to be consulting ECO in the toilet about 20 minutes into the round...

Blog Entries

At the Canadian Women's Championship in 2009 I believe I had to warn a bunch of spectators who were watching the ultimate, decisive game. All the other games were done, and they went two boards down and started analyzing the position right there!

I also called for backup. Honestly, if there hadn't been about 20-25 of them I probably would have just booted them out right then and there. Perhaps I should have anyway. I was a little shocked that they thought it was okay!
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12