26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - amend the motion

4 15.38%
  • No - leave the motion as is

20 76.92%
  • Abstain

2 7.69%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 15. 2012-O Rating of Junior Events (Vlad Rekhson)

Default Rating of Juniors

The deflationary impact of junior ratings impacts the CFC. Anyone active as a TD at the club/local level has heard the lament that player X quits chess because his rating has fallen 200+ points and he is no longer an A,B,C or D player.

The easiest way to deal with the deflation is to set a floor for juniors at 1000 for CFC rating purposes. At that level many would come into the system with some surplus points.

The issue with juniors G/30 ratings are the 400-600 ratings of the players with the best getting a 900 rating and migrating to adult tournaments. They come into the system under rated. My estimate is that well over 90% of the players never make the transition to CFC rated adult chess from the G/30 all junior world.

Additional rating systems are an utterly bogus solution. The existing Active system has never been looked after and is very deflated.

I believe the intention of the Quick Chess motion (Armstrong/McKim) is to start everyone's Active rating at their existing Regular rating then go from there. That should bring the Active ratings into line.
    Bob, if you are monitoring this you may be able to elaborate.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I believe the intention of the Quick Chess motion (Armstrong/McKim) is to start everyone's Active rating at their existing Regular rating then go from there. That should bring the Active ratings into line.
    Bob, if you are monitoring this you may be able to elaborate.
    Paul: The mechanism is explained in the motion. Should the motion not pass, I think we`ll have to look at adjusting the Active ratings to a more reasonable level for deflated players.

I cannot vote in favor of a motion to rate regular a game played under the rapid rules.

I speak for Youth only tournaments in Northern Ontario.

We do have league tournaments 30 min a side with 200-400 participants and provide clocks for all the tables. All players from 4th grade to 12th write their moves.

I understand the varying perspectives presented on this item and have great sympathy with Chris Field. The CFC was negligent in not being clear about how youth tournaments were to be rated and this has caused problems for a CFC organizer who promoted a YCC regular rated tournament with 30 minutes time control (He should be congratulated anyway for promoting YCCs tournaments).

After reading Paul Leblanc's comments concerning the Quick Chess Motion I had hopes that a sort of compromise could be found where in future all- junior events the TD can take the regular rating for pairing and then the office will rate active based on this instead of starting over with 200-400 zero rated players. When I went back to read the Quick Chess motion this is not what I undertand can happen. Can someone clarify this point?
    Our region is the second biggest region in Canada for CFC rated chess tournaments because of youth chess. Imagine telling several hundred players that their rating is zero,the impetus to continue rating with the CFC disappears.

Ratings integrity is important, but please don't leave our youth orgaizers out to dry by saying that tournament can't be rated regular now when the ED's over the last years didn't even know. If regular rating of juniors can be used in future junior events to help establish reasonable active ratings quickly it's okay by me.

Blog Entries

Quick chess ratings would be started at regular ratings.

If the motion fails, we retain the status quo, unless the rating auditor makes some provisions for events with no or few rated players (but these players having regular ratings).

I would be more than happy to start all the juniors (and anyone else) with an Active rating equal to their Regular rating. Perhaps we can examine this option in the slim chance that the Armstrong/McKim Quick Chess motion does not pass.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234