21. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

19 90.48%
  • NO

0 0%
  • ABSTAIN

2 9.52%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8. 2012-H TDOCP Motion (Simon Ong)

Default 8. 2012-H TDOCP Motion (Simon Ong)

8. Proposed Motion 2012- Section 20 of the CFC Handbook

Moved by: Simon Ong; Seconded by: Hal Bond

Moved adding the following regulation to current section 20 of the CFC Handbook

Regulations:
    1. Introduction

20.1 The following regulations can be altered by the CFC executive with the recommendation from the TDOCP committee members.

20.2 The titles for award are the Regional-TD (RTD), Regional-Organizer (RO), National-TD (NTD), and National-Organizer (NO).

20.3 Individuals with National-TD (NTD) and National-Organizer (NO) will qualify to apply for the FIDE arbiter and organizer titles (NA, FA, IA, and IO).

20.4 The titles are valid for life from the date awarded. Licence fee will be charge every 6 years.

20.5 The judging unit is the TDOCP committee members.

20.6 All applicants for these titles must be current CFC members.

20.7 All applicants must have at least 2 recommendations from 2 different people preferably FIDE-certified arbiter/organizer, CFC Executive/Governor and Provincial/Club Executive member.

2. Regulation for the Regional-TD (RTD)

20.8 Knowledge of the Laws of Chess, CFC Regulations for chess competitions outlined in the CFC handbook.

20.9 Skills in operating electronic chess clocks , SwissSys/SwissManager program, and computer (Words, Excel, Email).

20.10 Experience as tournament director in at least 4 CFC-rated events, including one Swiss and one Round Robin. The Swiss tournament must have at least 10 participants and the Round-robin must have at least 4.

3. Regulation for the Regional-Organizer (RO)

20.11 Knowledge of the organizing chess tournament, CFC Regulations for chess competitions outlined in the CFC handbook, and submission of CFC/FIDE reports to CFC office.

20.12 Experience as tournament organizer in at least 4 CFC-rated events, including one Swiss and one Round Robin. The Swiss tournament must have at least 10 participants and the Round-robin must have at least 4.

4. Regulation for the National-TD (NTD)

20.13 The NTD title is awarded only to those who have already been awarded the title of RTD.

20.14 Experience as tournament director in at least 4 CFC-rated events, including one national and/or international event. In order to count as a norm, the Swiss tournament must have at least 20 participants and the Round-robin must have at least 6.

20.15 Attend either FIDE Arbiters’ Seminar or CFC TDOCP(TD) Seminar. You must pass the examination (80% +) given in either of the aforementioned seminar.

5. Regulation for the National-Organizer (NO)

20.16 The NO title is awarded only to those who have already been awarded the title of RO.

20.17 Experience as tournament organizer in at least 4 CFC-rated events, including one national and/or international event. In order to count as a norm, the Swiss tournament must have at least 20 participants and the Round-robin must have at least 6.

20.18 Attend either FIDE Organizer Seminar or CFC TDOCP (Organizer) Seminar. You must pass the examination (80% +) given in either of the aforementioned seminar.

6. Regulation for CFC TDOCP Seminar

The list of lecturers shall be nominated by the TDOCP committee. There should be at least one lecturer in each province. The lecturer can be FIDE arbiter/organizer and/or National certified TD/organizer.

20.19 The TDOCP (TD) seminar will be a full day discussing the following topic:
    (a) Laws of Chess
    (b) CFC Rating System & Regulations for chess competitions outlined in the CFC handbook.
    (c) SwissSys/SwissManager Program
    (d) Use of the electronic clocks
    (e) Directing FIDE-rated Events
    (f) Other topics suggested by the TDOCP committee.

20.20 The TDOCP (Organizer) seminar will be a full day discussing the following topic:
    (a) Laws of Chess
    (b) CFC Rating System & Regulations for chess competitions outlined in the CFC handbook.
    (c) SwissSys/SwissManager Program & Submission of tournament report to CFC.
    (d) Topics from Chess Organizer’s Handbook
    (e) Organizing FIDE-rated Events
    (f) Other topics suggested by the TDOCP committee.

20.21 The TDOCP Committee will prepare multiple choice/written examinations for each seminar. The participants must achieve 80% or above to pass the examination.

20.22 NTD and NO applicants who fail the examination must wait one month before taking the examination the second time.
    20.23 The cost of attendance of TDOCP seminar (including the examination fees) will be decided by the TDOCP Committee members. The money collected from the TDOCP seminar will be submitted to the CFC office. The CFC office shall pay the lecturer on the basis of the number of participants.
    20.24 The details to the TDOCP seminar (i.e. date, address, lecturer, etc) must be approved by the TDOCP committee one month before the starting day of the seminar.

Certificates & Pins

1. Qualified applicants may request a certificate and “CFC TD/organizer” pin at the cost of $15 (not including tax). The $15 includes shipping.

Comments:
    (1) The objective of this program is to allow inexperienced TDs and organizers to learn from the experienced ones which will improve the quality of the tournament directing in Canada.
    (2) This program provides the first stepping stone in obtaining FIDE arbiter and organizer titles (NA, FA, IA, and IO).
    (3) This program does not restrict other CFC members from directing and organizing CFC-rated events in Canada.
    (4) The regulation will be in effect as of Fall 2012.

Blog Entries

1) Will existing title holders be grandfathered ?
    2) Does this eliminate the category of LTD ?
    3) What is the licensing fee ? Why is a fee needed ? Perhaps just a re-application form illustrating activity.........

While in favor of the proposal I'm NOT in favor of the licencing fee as I'm not happy with titles that can disappear.

For example in 1979 I earned a "BC Teachers Permanent Certificate" which about 5 years ago our provincial government revoked if one did not keep up one's membership in the BC College of Teachers (which was $35 / year and was created after I got my certificate) - there was no mention of grandfathering or anything else.

In general I dislike ex post facto legislation and would be shocked if my National Tournament Directors' status lapsed before my International Arbiter title did (which expires when I do!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    2) Does this eliminate the category of LTD ?
    -I think local T.D.s is part of the category of Regional T.D.
    -Existing title holders should show that they are still active in directing & organizing to be on the list of CDN T.D.s & Organizers.
    -After reading again, I agree with Mr. McKim and Mr. Craver that licence fees might not be a good idea.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure that "existing" title holders are really relevant... other than those with FIDE titles already.

When the last attempt at the program went through, the CFC requested a "Grandfather" list from the provinces. They gave no other details. I was OCA Secretary at the time and was asked to compile the list based on the OCA President's specs, which basically meant that anyone who had directed at least 3 events ever got put on the NTD list. Talk about watering down a title.

Best to start new, I say. Anyone good and interested enough to get the new titles will certainly have no trouble acquiring them.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Will events run by non-qualified organizers and/or non-qualified TDs be rejected by the CFC?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Will events run by non-qualified organizers and/or non-qualified TDs be rejected by the CFC?
    I think this is answered in the Comments - point 3.

Sorry, I was psyched out by the frequent use of the word Regulation. I'm happy now.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Can we have a ruling from the Chair about whether or not this motion as written would start a new list of certified TDs and ignore previous lists?

If not I wish to move an amendment to cause that to happen.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Can we have a ruling from the Chair about whether or not this motion as written would start a new list of certified TDs and ignore previous lists?

If not I wish to move an amendment to cause that to happen.
    If implemented, previous titleholders would not see their credentials stripped. Instead, under proposed regulation 20.5, it would fall to the TDOCP Committee to determine whether to consider them current (likely on a case-by-case basis and only for those that choose to apply). That's how I'm reading it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast