Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Proposed Motion 2012-Y ( Revised ) - Canadian Youth Chess Championship

Bob, I saw your post elsewhere in the thread indicating that this motion was defeated but, since the matter may come up again in an amended form, I do have a couple of questions:

1. Why can't the Cdn Jr champ go to both tournaments if s/he can manage it (assuming no date conflict, of course)?

2. The 'bursary' is a key item in the motion. Why hasn't it been defined/elaborated upon? (e.g. who decides on the $$?; when is it paid to the recipient?; any conditions pertaining to payment?; etc.?) If the details of the bursary are set out in a different section of the Handbook, perhaps you should make reference to that section in your motion.

3. "CFC Youth Fund": Hmm. Does the CFC maintain a separate bank account for these youth funds or are they commingled with the CFC's general operating funds?

Default Terms of the Canadian Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Bob, I saw your post elsewhere in the thread indicating that this motion was defeated but, since the matter may come up again in an amended form, I do have a couple of questions:

1. Why can't the Cdn Jr champ go to both tournaments if s/he can manage it (assuming no date conflict, of course)?
    BA - The reason for two prizes is to attract all top juniors. Where one junior is substantially ahead of nos. 2-5, then they might not play if they felt the winner ( # 1 ) was going to take both prizes.

2. The 'bursary' is a key item in the motion. Why hasn't it been defined/elaborated upon? (e.g. who decides on the $$?; when is it paid to the recipient?; any conditions pertaining to payment?; etc.?) If the details of the bursary are set out in a different section of the Handbook, perhaps you should make reference to that section in your motion.
    BA - someone else may have to answer this because I've never really dealt with the tournament. All I know is Handbook section 10, 2nd half, deals with this:

" Rules of procedure for The Canadian Junior Championship Tournament "( just before para. 1051 ).

The relevant section seems to be:

1063. Organization:

The principal organizer of the Canadian Junior Championship Tournament is the CFC with the responsibility for the event resting with the Junior Coordinator and the Executive Director. All expenses such as prizes, travel to the world event, trophies, medals, and rent shall be borne by the CFC. Any surplus funds generated will be utilized by the CFC for future Junior activities, or transferred to the Junior Fund (Kalev Pugi Fund). [see Motion 2003-02, 02-03GL3, December 2002]

This section seems out of date, and as far as I know, the organizer determines the prize in the bid, and the governors decided if it is good enough. In terms of payment of the bursary, I'm not sure if the junior must pay and go and finish the tournament, and then gets reimbursed.[/QUOTE]

3. "CFC Youth Fund": Hmm. Does the CFC maintain a separate bank account for these youth funds or are they commingled with the CFC's general operating funds?
    BA - Now I believe CFC does keep a separate account. In the past it did not, and this led, in the near-death experience times financially, to it being grabbed to cover part of the deficit. That is no longer allowed.

Hope this helps. Ask away if there are follow-up questions.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 01-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Default One Correction

Hi Peter:

I apologize on one point in my answer above, which was wrong:

Quote:
    PK -" 3. "CFC Youth Fund": Hmm. Does the CFC maintain a separate bank account for these youth funds or are they commingled with the CFC's general operating funds?

BA - Now I believe CFC does keep a separate account. In the past it did not, and this led, in the near-death experience times financially, to it being grabbed to cover part of the deficit. That is no longer allowed."

I have been advised by the executive that opening an entirely separate bank account for the CFC Youth Fund has been discussed, but never done. The account however is kept separate in the bookkeeping.

Bob A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12