Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questionable Rating Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Well, we could require advance registration of events like FIDE does.
    Most of what FIDE does is laughable - we don't need to follow suit. Simply require the time controls on submission - period. End of story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Yes, thank you very much Stephen for digging up the correct references.
    Predrag has e-mailed me separately to comfirm that he is using a 60 minute time control for his junior events.
    I asked him to mention this in his advertising and in his rating submissions to the CFC.
    Life would indeed be a lot easier for me if the CFC office demanded inclusion of the time control in the rating submissions. Otherwise, the only way for me to audit this is to search the various websites in the hope of finding posters for the events.
    It looks like all of his kids have the problem that a few of ours have. Five game in 60 minutes games in three hours means that the average time used for games including the time taken to make the pairings for each round was 18 minutes per player. If they were round robins and the players were beginners it is actually a plausible situation.

Yes Vlad. Someone else said to me recently "you can give the kid 60 minutes on his clock but that doesn't mean he won't finish the game in 5 minutes". I don't have a solution to that but at least I expect people to follow the rules. Once in a while will come along a kid who uses his entire 60 minutes and maybe the other kids will notice.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Yes Vlad. Someone else said to me recently "you can give the kid 60 minutes on his clock but that doesn't mean he won't finish the game in 5 minutes". I don't have a solution to that but at least I expect people to follow the rules. Once in a while will come along a kid who uses his entire 60 minutes and maybe the other kids will notice.
    At our Friday night class we use game in 30 plus a 15 second increment with the games starting around 7 pm. Some games go to 8:30 but a few are done in 20 minutes but thankfully not that many. Usually someone has blundered a queen early for that to happen.

Default kids game time vs time controls

"you can give the kid 60 minutes on his clock but that doesn't mean he won't finish the game in 5 minutes".
    We recently ran a G60 junior tournament with three sections, U1500, U1200 and U800. Only the U1500 kids used the time wisely. They completed 3 games in an 8 hour day. The U1200 kids completed 5 games in the same time. The U800 kids could have completed 8 or 10 games if given the opportunnity. You can lead a horse to water but...

We hope that putting the young kids next to the thoughtful slow games they will learn to take their time and go slow. It's a process and it takes time. taking more time is a part of getting better. It's amazing how many dropped pieces you can rescue if you take an extra minute to look at the board.

Ken Jensen

Hi Paul,

Ummm...I think there is a simple test. If you advertise:

1 - Tournament runs from 1-4 pm
    2 - Game 60
    3 - 3 rounds

Then methinks someone is wrong here .

In otherwords, if the time control requires a max of 2 hours per game (game 60, I believe means 60 minutes per player for the game) ...and there are 3 rounds...then the event should be 6 hours...not 3!

Does this mean, the time control is game 60 but you can't use more than game 30 as you have another game to play

What am I missing here?

Larry

The organizer, Predrag Putic claimed that he gave the kids 60 minutes but they all finished their games so fast that he let them play again and again.
    Paul Leblanc
    CFC Voting Member

The organizer, Predrag Putic claimed that he gave the kids 60 minutes but they all finished their games so fast that he let them play again and again.

The crosstables do not show multiple games against the same player...

You did not address my question...how can you do a 3-round, game 60, event in 3 hours?

You brought this question to the table.

Everyone in the scholastic community has known for years what has been going on.

Do you want to solve it, or simply discuss it?

Larry

Hi Larry. I can only surmise that all the kids finished their games quickly and were re-paired. I don't have much experience with kids playing chess but I imagine they don't use much of the time they are allotted until they get a bit older and wiser.
    You imply there is a way to solve this. Other than what I`ve been doing to audit events and enforce the rating rules, I`m not sure what I could do in my Rating Auditor capacity.
    If the Executive and governors felt they needed to make a policy change to address this issue, I hope they would be interested in further suggestions from you.
    Paul Leblanc
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    You did not address my question...how can you do a 3-round, game 60, event in 3 hours?
    In my experience, kids play very quickly... it is very difficult to slow them down. So, you advertise an event as g60, but in fact ALL the first round games are done in half an hour. Do you make ALL the players wait 90 minutes till the 2nd round? You will either have the kids playing blitz and bughouse, getting all chessed out, or else the kids will be rampaging around the venue. So you pair the second round ... and the same thing happens.

At a recent event g/90 + 30" increment, in the last round the players on board 1 played the entire game "on the increment" and actually finished with more than 90 minutes on their clocks. It's very frustrating for coaches, who have been urging the players to slow down and look for different moves.

At our recent WYCC training tournament, with a time control of 40/90 +30", one young genius played 35 moves using only 3 minutes on his clock (plus the increment). He lost. Another player lost in 25 moves, using less than 3 minutes on the clock.

It's enough to make coaches gnash their teeth and pull their hair out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast