Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questionable Rating Practice

Default Questionable Rating Practice

On 23 October, the Canadian Chess Academy ran three 5 round events from 1pm to 4pm that were submitted for Regular rating to the CFC.
    Can someone associated with this organization explain to me how they managed to fit 5 rounds in a period of 3 hours while allowing the minimum 60 minutes per player to qualify for Regular ratings?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Perhaps it has something to do with how they managed to be the only people in the country getting their ratings done on time (or at all) back in 2007?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Perhaps it has something to do with how they managed to be the only people in the country getting their ratings done on time (or at all) back in 2007?
    Please don't mix "Canadian Chess Academy" of Predrag Putic with Chess Academy of Canada by Roman Pelts.

Back in 2007 Chess Academy of Canada ran weekly all-junior tournaments which were regularly rated by the CFC according to the common in 2007 practice.

Last year Predrag Putic organized his "Canadian Chess Academy" and followed the suit.
    But now we have new Rating Auditor who is going to enforce rules stated in the CFC Handbook.

Apparently, Predrag is simply unaware of this policy change...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I wasn`t able to find any documentation of the policy exempting junior tournaments from time control rules so I am going by the Handbook. I published the time control policy in the CFC bulletin, Chess Talk, the CFC discussion board and asked the Youth Co-ordinator to pass it to all his contacts. I guess Predrag is outside the usual media.
    I suppose he might answer my e-mail and I`ll let you know what he says.
    Paul Leblanc
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Perhaps we should require the TD to submit the time control information with the event?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I agree, but there seems to be a limitation in the CFC office to track down missing information. Something to do with the contract I think.
    Paul Leblanc
    CFC Voting Member

Default Documentation

A motion to rate 30 minute junior games under the regular system was first introduced in GL4, 1998/1999 (motion 99-6), but due to lack of discussion in the GL was abandoned at the subsequent AGM. However, the policy was approved as an executive motion in GL1, 1999/2000, and see especially the commentary for both sides in GL2 of the same year. The practice was rescinded in GL9, 2005/2006 (motion 2006-12).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Back in 2007 Chess Academy of Canada ran weekly all-junior tournaments which were regularly rated by the CFC according to the common in 2007 practice.
    This may have been common practice in 2007 but had already been made officially incorrect by motion 2006-12 mentioned above. This is an example of communication issues which unfortunately are still a problem (but getting better!) - the only way to find out about the approval of motion 2006-12 was to read the GLs, the appropriate change to the CFC Handbook was not made until much later. And if you are an organizer which source are you likely to go to, the Handbook or the GLs? (Of course there may be other organizers who knew of the change but chose to ignore it for whatever reason, but that's a different issue.)

Hi Stephen:

Thanks for the historical record - good research as usual.

Bob

Yes, thank you very much Stephen for digging up the correct references.
    Predrag has e-mailed me separately to comfirm that he is using a 60 minute time control for his junior events.
    I asked him to mention this in his advertising and in his rating submissions to the CFC.
    Life would indeed be a lot easier for me if the CFC office demanded inclusion of the time control in the rating submissions. Otherwise, the only way for me to audit this is to search the various websites in the hope of finding posters for the events.
    Paul Leblanc
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Well, we could require advance registration of events like FIDE does.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast