Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Requesting names of Canadian chess instructors for CFC website

Default some days, you just can't win.....

even when the CFC price is FREE, no strings attached, we get complaints.
    Some days, you just can't win!
    Group hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    even when the CFC price is FREE, no strings attached, we get complaints.
    Some days, you just can't win!
    Group hug.

Hi Bob,

You are a bright guy. I respect you...

Are you serious with this comment?

Can you please address the issues that we have brought forward on this issue?

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Hi Bob,

You are a bright guy. I respect you...

Are you serious with this comment?

Can you please address the issues that we have brought forward on this issue?

Larry
    Sure, if you would like.
    If my comment seemed a little glib, I understand. Please understand that no insult to anyone was intended, but I could not pass up on the irony.

As you know, CFC takes relentless criticism over it's pricing of services, rating fees, memberships, anything and everything. I found it ironic that even when we offer a service for free, we still get criticism. Granted it was from you "the competition" and not the membership, but nevertheless, the chess community in which we serve. ie. we just can't make everyone happy.

I agree with the CFC providing this service for free. I think it fits nicely with our mandate. Hopefully it will serve to bring players and instructors together, we all win. CMA and CMA instructors are welcome to use this service.

I take no issue with your comments. Asking instructors to pay a fee for this service is reasonable. I would guess you have charged just a nominal fee from your advertisers, and that our action will not negatively impact CMA financially.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies it.
    Best of luck and continued success.
    We all prosper when we work together.
    There are lots of kids out there to go around.

Sure, if you would like.
    If my comment seemed a little glib, I understand. Please understand that no insult to anyone was intended, but I could not pass up on the irony.

As you know, CFC takes relentless criticism over it's pricing of services, rating fees, memberships, anything and everything. I found it ironic that even when we offer a service for free, we still get criticism. Granted it was from you "the competition" and not the membership, but nevertheless, the chess community in which we serve. ie. we just can't make everyone happy.

I agree with the CFC providing this service for free. I think it fits nicely with our mandate. Hopefully it will serve to bring players and instructors together, we all win. CMA and CMA instructors are welcome to use this service.

I take no issue with your comments. Asking instructors to pay a fee for this service is reasonable. I would guess you have charged just a nominal fee from your advertisers, and that our action will not negatively impact CMA financially.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies it.
    Best of luck and continued success.
    We all prosper when we work together.
    There are lots of kids out there to go around.
    Somehow I am reminded of "The Two Solitudes".

I agree with the CFC providing this service for free.
    There is always a way to charge, especially the CMA with their 30k budget for advertisements
    For free - a name with a contact phone.
    $ - a name and an email
    $$ same as $ + webpage
    $$$ a 300px x 100px banner
    etc with all kind of variations to tap the CMA
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Glad to see you're in a good mood about this, Larry.

The logic I had was to get as many chess instructors listed on the CFC website as possible. More instructors, more students, and thus more potential CFC members. All good for Canadian chess.

I implicitly left if up to the CFC exec whether to charge anything to instructors for listing them. The CFC exec decided not to. If they did, I might have argued against it, based on my logic above, as revenue from more CFC members would outweigh revenue from charging instructors for listing them (as fewer instructors would naturally wish to be listed by the CFC in that case).

So I can see the CMA and the CFC as having impeccible logic for their own fee, or no fee, decision regarding listing instructors, based on that the CMA has no membership to obtain revenue from, while the CFC does.
    I think that the CFC listing of instructors for free is the right decision. Charging a fee would reduce the usefulness of the list because it would be less comprehensive. The CFC is in the business of trying to expand chess (and chess membership) and not in the business of making revenues from instructor listings.

I don't see the value add of a CFC chess instructor certification program at least not in Windsor. I do see a fairly significant demand for instruction that outstrips the qualified instructors available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Hi Kevin,

Do chess instructors charge for their services?
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no. For example, in my case on Saturday we had a game for the Windsor kids going to the WYCC. John Coleman organized it. Zoltan Kiraly, myself and John were there for about four or five hours while the kids played and then afterwards to analyze the kids' games and to suggest improvements to the way that they played. No charge to the kids or more accurately their parents.

On Monday, we had another session for some of the kids going to WYCC (we may be overdoing it) again they played some games and we looked at them afterwards and suggested improvements. John Coleman and I were there for about two and a half hours. No charge to the kids.

We have an advanced Friday class where the charge is about $7.50 per night if they pay by the month and we have four or five instructors with at least three master strength players popping in on most nights. There is a lecture usually by me, often prepared using chess books purchased from Strategy and Games in Toronto, followed by a game between the kids which is then analysed in depth by one or two instructors.

If someone is benefitting from a service why should he or she...not have to pay a nominal fee for that service?
    In our case word of mouth is working too well. We are looking at starting a second class for beginners. There is no room in the Friday class where 18 or 20 kids is a very uncomfortable maximum. We had 17 last Friday. We are also looking at reviving a free kids chess club in one of the libraries but that is still under negotiation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123