Thread: 82nd FIDE Congress

Default 82nd FIDE Congress

I am not sure if we sent anyone, but those are very interesting insights from US delegation:
    Walter Brown on the 82nd
    Sophia Rohde on the 82nd FIDE Congress
    Tony Rich on the 82nd FIDE Congress

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    I am not sure if we sent anyone, but those are very interesting insights from US delegation:
    Walter Brown on the 82nd
    We are represented by Hal Bond.

Thanks for the links.

Default swiss pairings

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    Walter Brown on the 82nd
    I like what Tony Rich brought up:
    had the pleasure of attending the Swiss Pairings Programs Committee, where discussion centered primarily around how software developers should interpret FIDE’s approved Swiss System rules, and on how best to facilitate the process of endorsing well-written programs. Of note, the committee prepared an algorithm-like document that software developers can use to ensure their programs meet with FIDE standards. In addition, committee member and software developer Roberto Ricca of Italy mentioned that he has written software that can test pairing programs to make certain they produce accurate pairings.

Swisssys needs to be tested to FIDE standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
    I like what Tony Rich brought up:
    had the pleasure of attending the Swiss Pairings Programs Committee, where discussion centered primarily around how software developers should interpret FIDE’s approved Swiss System rules, and on how best to facilitate the process of endorsing well-written programs. Of note, the committee prepared an algorithm-like document that software developers can use to ensure their programs meet with FIDE standards. In addition, committee member and software developer Roberto Ricca of Italy mentioned that he has written software that can test pairing programs to make certain they produce accurate pairings.

Swisssys needs to be tested to FIDE standards.
    I wonder if that "algorithm-like document" is available? I'll check the FIDE website, but perhaps Hal will provide a report on what he encountered at the meeting(s).

I plan to report when I get back.

The USCF Delegation of 5 people plus a sixth on his own (Sevan Muradian) have been able to cover a lot of ground. Usually one of them has been in attendance where I have been. Generally we are on the same page. I was not at the Swiss pairings meeting - there are often two meetings going on at one time. Stephen Boyd also attended the Commission meetings. That was most agreeable.

During the evenings I am promoting the 2016 Toronto Olympic Bid. No other countries have announced any such intention and reaction has been extremely favourable. Today was the first day of the Congress and we should be able to finish tomorrow without a problem. We have the Closing Ceremony at a compulsory Salt Mine Excursion. I look forward to coming home on Saturday.

Default Say what?

Hal, they are sending you to the salt mines?
    That don't sound too good!

Default FIDE Americas

Hello Hal,

Are the FIDE Americas future events dates and places are decided now?

Thanks
    Andrei

Default 82nd FIDE Congress

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Hal, they are sending you to the salt mines?
    That don't sound too good!
    They also force him to play blitz!

Default blitzed

Sad but true - the blitz tournament last night was rough. I played a coupled sequences well but nothing resembling a good game. What to say - a patzer at any speed!

The meetings are finished. The Pan Am schedule has been set and will be published shortly.

I was able to provoke enough conversation about the splitting up of the World Youth into 2 sections that it has been deferred to the Istanbul Assembly in 2012.

I have met no one in Krakow who is not thrilled with the prospect of an Olympiad in Toronto, 2016. Today I was given the floor at the Assembly to thank everyone for their enthusiastic support.

Off to the Salt Mine!