Thread: CFC National Masters

Default CFC National Masters

As some of you may be aware, the rules pertaining to the achievement of the NM title have recently changed; however, we are currently trying to catch those that qualified for and/or received their certification under the old rule:

738. CFC Life Masters. The CFC will issue a "Certificate of Chess Master" for each player who achieves a CFC rating of 2200 or above for 24 consecutive regular tournament games. Players who have achieved this performance in the past can request their certificate from the CFC business office, by providing satisfactory evidence of their performance to the CFC business office. [see Motion 2003-01; 02-03GL3, December 2002]

My (unofficial) list of those that may be NMs is below. Please contact me if you see your name. If you don't notice your name, but think it should be there, note that I omitted FIDE titled players and that inactive players are also likely absent. As a last resort, check here: http://chess.ca/titleholders. If you still don't find your name, also feel free to contact me.

Alberta

Jean-Francois Wen (Earned?)
    Jonathan Schaeffer (Earned?)

British Columbia

Joe Oszvald (Earned?)
    Francisco Cabanas (Earned?)
    Paul Brown (Earned?)

Manitoba

New Brunswick

Jonathan MacDonald (Earned?)
    Jean Desforges (Earned?)

Newfoundland & Labrador

N/A

Nova Scotia

Nunavut

N/A

Northwest Territories

N/A

Ontario

John Wright (Earned?)
    Rimantas Vaichaitis (Earned?)
    Greg Stavropoulos (Earned?)
    Ross E. Siemms (Earned?)
    Paul Selick (Earned?)
    Ron Pitre (Earned?)
    Peter Nurmi (Earned?)
    Peter Murray (Earned?)
    David Lavin (Earned?)
    William Klarner (Earned?)
    Stanimir Ilic (Earned?)
    Stephen Ball (Earned?)

Prince Edward Island

Quebec

Saskatchewan

Yukon Territory

N/A
    Last edited by Michael von Keitz; 12-01-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Default time distribution of NM

the variation between provinces for when the NMs were earned is pretty interesting. Taking those labled without a date as pre 1996 then total NMs and percent made after 1996 are: (excuse my formatting).

prov total Percent post 1996
    Alberta 18 61%
    BC 14 14%
    Manitoba 4 50%
    NB 3 0%
    NS 1 100%
    Ont. 71 38%
    PEI 1 0%
    QC 10 50%
    Sask 1 0%
    Grand Total 123 39%

Not too many new NMs in BC (and 'new' actually includes Milisevic which seems misleading)

Blog Entries

Due to an overwhelming response we will be delaying full implementation of the title system until November 1st, 2011. By then we will have a program in place to generate a list of players in every rating class who have met the requirements for that class title, which will then be added to the website. At that point you can request certificates from the CFC office which will be available for a nominal charge of $10 (plus HST, I presume) for all rating classes up to Candidate Master. National Master certificates will be free. You don't have to apply for a certificate if you don't want or need a piece of paper to document your achievement because it should be there for all to see on the CFC website. http://www.chess.ca/titleholders

I still want to hear from people who have received National Master certificates already or who have qualified under the old program so that they can be added to the list on the website as shown in the Michael von Keitz post quoted in the original post of this thread. My email can be found on the webpage with the listing of titleholders though if things continue as they have been I will probably want to get an email just for this.

Vlad Drkulec
    CFC Masters Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I suggest:
    * write the last name first, coma, and a first name, like "Zeromskis, Egidijus". It would look better.
    * include a hyper link to a person's CFC rating (ID) page.
    * Year Achieved and Year Awarded aligned in center.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The link also references "rating floors." Can you describe how this would work?
    EG. Once a player hits 2000, they would never fall below 2000/1900/1800/1700/1600...?

TIA

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sam.Sharpe View Post
    The link also references "rating floors." Can you describe how this would work?
    EG. Once a player hits 2000, they would never fall below 2000/1900/1800/1700/1600...?

TIA
    There is no saving of your actual rating if you go "through" the floor. I think it's just a variant organizers can use for class prizes.

So for example, I was quick to get on ther web site list as an NCM before we closed it down for the month. This means that while my rating is in the 1900's, I can call myself a National Candidate Master (I think we added National, so not to be confused with FIDE's CM title), for life.

On the other hand a tournament organizer COULD choose to designate that title holders are not eligible for class prizes below their title. So in my case I wouldn't be eligible for Under 2000.

Chris might have a different interpretation, as he drafted the motion/rule.

Fred, that sure doesn't sound like a definition of a rating floor that I've heard of. The concept of a rating floor is a "hard bottom" that you cannot fall below. I'll wait and see what the official definitions end up being. If it's just "something" that organizers can use for prizes, then the "floor" doesn't really exist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    There is no saving of your actual rating if you go "through" the floor. I think it's just a variant organizers can use for class prizes.

So for example, I was quick to get on ther web site list as an NCM before we closed it down for the month. This means that while my rating is in the 1900's, I can call myself a National Candidate Master (I think we added National, so not to be confused with FIDE's CM title), for life.

On the other hand a tournament organizer COULD choose to designate that title holders are not eligible for class prizes below their title. So in my case I wouldn't be eligible for Under 2000.

Chris might have a different interpretation, as he drafted the motion/rule.
    Fred, your interpretation lines up with mine. It's up to the organizers if they wish to use the classes rather than ratings for prize sections.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter