Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CFC " Active " Ratings to CFC " Speed " Ratings??

Default CFC " Active " Ratings to CFC " Speed " Ratings??

I was interested in the post in the CFC 2011 Fall Meeting ( it may have been governor Chris Mallon? ) that suggested changing our CFC " Active " ratings ( which I believe cover both Game/15 and Game/30? ) to a " Speed " rating, which would cover all games from Game/1 to Game/59.

I would suggest for discussion that the CFC transform the current " Active " ratings list to a " Speed " Rating list, on the following terms:

1. it will accept " speed " tournaments with time control from Game/1 to Game/59.

2. Players' current " active " rating will become their " speed " rating.

3. Players must be CFC members or pay the " speed tournament playing fee ( Adult - $ 2; Junior - $ 1 )".

4. The " speed tournament " rating fee will be: Adult - $ 2; Junior - $ 1.

There are a number of questions this raises:

A. Would this be acceptable to those who like the current active tournaments?

B. Would clubs already holding " speed tournaments " pay the fees to get their members a national " speed " rating, and abandon their own club system?

C. Would organizers be encouraged by the low fees to start holding such " speed " tournaments, outside of clubs?

D. Would playing in " rated " speed tournaments attract more non-CFC members to " regular-rated " tournaments?

E. Would this attract more full CFC members?

F. This is also being discussed on the confidential CFC Governors' Discussion Board. I would note the Quebec experience with trying to offer a " blitz " rating system to FQE members - post by Quebec Governor Hugh Brodie:

" the FQE offers to rate blitz tournaments free of charge - it's not even necessary to be an FQE member. Only 15 such tournaments have been rated since 2009 - most of them with 8 players or less. "

Would changing the concept to a " speed " rating allow for a more positive experience than that currently being observed in Quebec, both in Quebec, and the rest of the country?

Please offer any comments, supportive or critical.

If there is support for this idea, I'd be willing to try to amalgamate comments here with my proposal, to get an actual motion to discuss further.

Bob A

Blog Entries

I could see resetting active ratings. I don't think that eliminating them for adults is a great idea as you would probably reduce activity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    I was interested in the post in the CFC 2011 Fall Meeting ( it may have been governor Chris Mallon? ) that suggested changing our CFC " Active " ratings ( which I believe cover both Game/15 and Game/30? ) to a " Speed " rating, which would cover all games from Game/1 to Game/59.

I would suggest for discussion that the CFC transform the current " Active " ratings list to a " Speed " Rating list, on the following terms:

1. it will accept " speed " tournaments with time control from Game/1 to Game/59.

2. Players' current " active " rating will become their " speed " rating.

3. Players must be CFC members or pay the " speed tournament playing fee ( Adult - $ 2; Junior - $ 1 )".

4. The " speed tournament " rating fee will be: Adult - $ 2; Junior - $ 1.

There are a number of questions this raises:

A. Would this be acceptable to those who like the current active tournaments?

B. Would clubs already holding " speed tournaments " pay the fees to get their members a national " speed " rating, and abandon their own club system?

C. Would organizers be encouraged by the low fees to start holding such " speed " tournaments, outside of clubs?

D. Would playing in " rated " speed tournaments attract more non-CFC members to " regular-rated " tournaments?

E. Would this attract more full CFC members?

F. This is also being discussed on the confidential CFC Governors' Discussion Board. I would note the Quebec experience with trying to offer a " blitz " rating system to FQE members - post by Quebec Governor Hugh Brodie:

" the FQE offers to rate blitz tournaments free of charge - it's not even necessary to be an FQE member. Only 15 such tournaments have been rated since 2009 - most of them with 8 players or less. "

Would changing the concept to a " speed " rating allow for a more positive experience than that currently being observed in Quebec, both in Quebec, and the rest of the country?

Please offer any comments, supportive or critical.

If there is support for this idea, I'd be willing to try to amalgamate comments here with my proposal, to get an actual motion to discuss further.

Bob A
    I think Active Ratings presently have a minimum time limit of 30 minutes.

Not the Victoria Chess Club

C. Would organizers be encouraged by the low fees to start holding such " speed " tournaments, outside of clubs
    Not this organizer.

Not in my opinion.

Furthermore, it apparently costs the CFC ~$2 per player to rate tournaments (I know, seems hopelessly inefficient but whatever). If that is true, your proposal loses money.

I know we wouldn't pay to have speed tournaments rated at the Calgary Chess Club. Recently, we stopped rating Active events as well. The active ratings are so far out of wack that we just have an event using the players regular CFC rating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
    I know we wouldn't pay to have speed tournaments rated at the Calgary Chess Club. Recently, we stopped rating Active events as well. The active ratings are so far out of wack that we just have an event using the players regular CFC rating.
    I had made a proposal concerning bringing the Active ratings back up to regular standards to ex-Rating Auditor Doubleday. I'll bring this up with Paul LeBlanc. I know a lot of areas have suffered severe deflation, and organizers aren't having Active tournaments anymore.

Blog Entries

Another option would be to have an overlap. Perhaps games between G/45 and G/75 are rated under BOTH systems automatically.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Another option would be to have an overlap. Perhaps games between G/45 and G/75 are rated under BOTH systems automatically.
    Why would you do that? I for one wouldn't play in any event that was rated under both systems. Also, you just created extra work for the CFC office. What is the benefit of doing something like that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
    Why would you do that? I for one wouldn't play in any event that was rated under both systems. Also, you just created extra work for the CFC office. What is the benefit of doing something like that?
    I'm just throwing ideas out there. It has the advantage of helping to keep both systems active, and I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to having two ratings moving in the same event, how is that different from playing in a CFC/FIDE rated event?

Virtually all of the major changes we are talking about will require a redo of the ratings software anyways, so I don't see that this dual-rating would even need to be any extra work for the office.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I'm just throwing ideas out there. It has the advantage of helping to keep both systems active, and I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to having two ratings moving in the same event, how is that different from playing in a CFC/FIDE rated event?

Virtually all of the major changes we are talking about will require a redo of the ratings software anyways, so I don't see that this dual-rating would even need to be any extra work for the office.
    People who have both CFC and FIDE ratings take their FIDE rating more seriously. The only care about their CFC rating mostly for qualification purporses. Totally different then the joke CFC Active rating that really, nobody cares about.

So yes, initially more work basically for nothing. Before making any more changes to the rating system, find out what the people want. Poll the members to see what they feel. Having the governor's vote on something without the members input seems futile IMO.

As far as I am concerned, anything slower then say game in 90 should not be rated under the regular rating system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast