Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motion 2012-Y - Canadian Junior Chess Championship

Default Motion 2012-Y - Canadian Junior Chess Championship

CFC Governors, myself and Michael Barron, have drafted a motion dealing with the Canadian Junior Regulations, specifically Section 10, Para. 1051, which was just amended at the 2011 Fall Meeting. We feel it needs a bit more work and the motion is set out below:

Motion 2012 – Y –Canadian Junior Chess Championship

Revision # 5 – 11/10/14

Moved – Bob Armstrong; Seconded – Michael Barron

Moved that Section 10, Paragraph 1051. Canadian Junior Chess Championship, which currently reads:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine that year's Canadian Junior Champion and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight girls, then the sections shall be combined. The winner of the Junior Tournament will also be the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship.

shall be deleted, and the following shall be substituted for it:

"1051. Canadian Junior Chess Championship

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian Junior Champions and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight players in either section, then the sections shall be combined. The winners shall also be the Canadian representatives to the World Junior Chess Championship. The second place finishers shall be the Canadian representatives to the Pan-American Junior Championship. Should the winners be unable or unwilling to participate in such tournament as the Canadian representative, the entitlement shall pass to the player in the next highest place in the tournament. "

Commentary:

There are two purposes of the Canadian Junior Championship as set out currently. The main purpose is the determination of a national Canadian Junior Champions. The secondary purpose is the determination of the international representatives to the World Junior Championship.

At the 2011 Fall Meeting, the governors indicated to the Executive in a straw vote that the Junior Champions cannot use their prize for some other international tournament. This motion puts that decision into the Handbook. If not used, the prizes go to the next highest position.

We have noted that the Canadian Youth Chess Championships determine not only the representative to the WYCC, but also to the Pan-American YCC and the North American YCC. So we have used the Junior Championship to now determine our representatives to the Pan-American Junior Championship.

Please advise if you have any comments on our further amendments, or any suggested amendments to the motion to improve it.

Thx.

Bob A & Michael B

Note: the proposed motion above was updated by later editing on 11/10/13, due to posts below, and on 11/10/19, due to a post on the Governors' Discussion Board.
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 10-19-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Surely we can do away with the sexist language and just say "When there are less than eight players in either section, then the sections shall be combined."
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I concur with, Chris.

Hi Chris and Ken:

I like the idea too. I will approach my seconder, Michael Barron, and ask that we adopt the amendment.

Bob

Michael Barron, my seconder, and I, have agreed to adopt the Mallon amendment ( supported by Craft ). I have gone back and edited the draft motion in the first post.

Bob A

Why not give the champion the choice to pick between Word Junior and PanAm Junior:
    This:
    A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian Junior Champions and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight players in either section, then the sections shall be combined. The winners shall also be the Canadian representatives to the World Junior Chess Championship.
    To be replace with this:
    A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian Junior Champions and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight players in either section, then the sections shall be combined. The winners shall also have the choice to be the Canadian representatives to the World Junior Chess Championship or PanAmerican Junior Chess Championship .

Blog Entries

Why not make the PanAm Junior the 2nd prize, much as it is in the Closed? No money towards it, but being the official rep gets you the free entry/reduced hotel rates?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default PanAm Junior

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Why not make the PanAm Junior the 2nd prize, much as it is in the Closed? No money towards it, but being the official rep gets you the free entry/reduced hotel rates?
    Can be couple of reasons:
    - PanAm is usually closer and less expensive to go to
    - sometime no jetlag (= no extra day to accommodate with the new time zone

Having the choice of the tournament, you also have the choice of the dates. What I mean is for example, this year World Junior is in the same time with US Open.

Blog Entries

Well, you could always give the 1st player a choice, and the 2nd player gets whichever event the 1st player did not pick. But now you need all kinds of timelines set.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default Governors' Opinion

At the 2011 Fall Meeting, in a straw vote, the governors indicated they wanted the winner of the Canadian Junior to go to the World Junior, not the Pan-Am Junior:

View Poll Results: Should the 2012 Canadian Junior (Girls) Champion be permitted to use their prize towards attending the PanAm Junior, instead of the World Junior?

YES
    Christopher Field, Ilia Bluvshtein, Ken Einarsson, Ken Jensen, Kevin Pacey, Les Bunning, Michael Barron, Nikolay Noritsyn, Rob Clark, Valer Eugen Demian, Vladimir Drkulec 11 -42.31%

NO
    Aris Marghetis, Bob Armstrong, Bob Gillanders, Christopher Mallon, Egidijus Zeromskis, Fred McKim, Halldor P. Palsson, Ken Craft, Lyle Craver, Mark S. Dutton, I.A., Patrick McDonald, Pierre Dénommée, Robert Laszlo, Vlad Rekhson 14 - 53.85%

ABSTAIN
    Michael von Keitz 1 - 3.85%

Bob A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast