Thread: 21 - "The Voting Booth" - Results of Votes

Default 21 - "The Voting Booth" - Results of Votes

Ladies and Gentlemen, Here are the results of this meeting’s motions – vBulletin presents the list of votes in order of FIRST NAME – my apologies in advance for any inconvenience.

I support motion 21-A-1 YES (18) Bob Armstrong Christopher Field Egidijus Zeromskis Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO (5) Christopher Mallon Ellen Nadeau Ken Jensen Paul Leblanc Rob Clark ABSTAIN (3) Bob Gillanders Michael von Keitz Vlad Rekhson

I support motion 2012-A-2 YES (22) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO (1) Vlad Rekhson ABSTAIN (5) Hugh Brodie Michael von Keitz Peter Stockhausen Simon Ong

To support motion 2012-B YES (22) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vlad Rekhson Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Egidijus Zeromskis Patrick McDonald
    ABSTAIN (5) Christopher Mallon Ellen Nadeau Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Michael von Keitz

I support motion 2012-C YES (8) Bob Armstrong Christopher Field Gordon Ritchie Hugh Brodie Michael Barron Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Valer Eugen Demian NO (19) Aris Marghetis Bob Gillanders Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Nikolay Noritsyn Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Vladimir Drkulec ABSTAIN (5) Les Bunning Michael von Keitz Rob Clark Simon Ong Vlad Rekhson

I support motion 2012-D YES (27) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Les Bunning Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Rob Clark Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Aris Marghetis Gordon Ritchie ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

I support motion 2012-E YES (26) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Vlad Rekhson Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Christopher Mallon Paul Leblanc ABSTAIN (2) Michael von Keitz Simon Ong

I support motion 2012-F YES (28) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Les Bunning Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO(3) Aris Marghetis Rob Clark Vlad Rekhson ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

I support motion 2012-G1 YES(25) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Robert Laszlo Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Aris Marghetis Pierre Dénommée ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

I support motion 2012-G2 YES (15) Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ken Einarsson Lyle Craver Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Simon Ong Vladimir Drkulec NO (10) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Egidijus Zeromskis Fred McKim Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Robert Laszlo Valer Eugen Demian ABSTAIN (3) Ellen Nadeau Michael von Keitz Pierre Dénommée

Thus the following motions pass: 21-A-1, 21-A-2, 2012-B, 2012-D, 2012-E, 2012-F, 2012-G1.

Motions 2012-C and 2012-G2 have failed.

I certify a quorum has been achieved on all motions as given above.

Lyle Craver
    Secretary, Chess Federation of Canada

On motion 21-F as per the President's instruction the phrase "before the start of the championship" has been inserted to remove any ambiguity. Thus:

1058. Entries:

The Canadian Junior Champion shall receive free entry but must advise the CFC Business Office and organizers of his intention to play no later than 20 days before the start of the Championship. (ed. addition shown underscored for clarity)

All eligible players who may qualify pursuant to Clause 1053(c) and who wish to participate in the Junior Tournament shall notify the CFC Business Office no later than 45 days before the start of the Championship of their intention to participate, enclosing their entry fee of $150.00. The CFC Board of Directors may delegate this function to the tournament organizers. Entries which cannot be accepted because the number exceeds the number of players allowed shall be advised thereof and their entry fee returned to them.

Players qualifying pursuant to Clause 1053(a) shall send in their entries as soon as is practical after the Provincial Champion is known but in any case no later than three weeks prior to the start of the Junior Tournament. In exceptional circumstances, the CFC Board of Directors can vary the time limits in this Clause.

Blog Entries

Lyle, I was trying to figure out why you said G2 failed when you showed 15-10 in favour. I think you switched the counts up though as you have 10 names listed in favour and 15 listed against.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

With both Motion 2012-E and Motion 2012-A2 having passed, the text of p.1051 will now read:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine that year's Canadian Junior Champion and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight girls, then the sections shall be combined. The winner of the Junior Tournament will also be the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship.

A motion further modifying p.1051 will be on the floor in the Winter Quarterly Meeting. Please contact either Michael Barron or Bob Armstrong if you have any concerns with the text that you would like to see rectified at that time.

Upon request, a beefier version of Lyle's summary is offered below (in 2 parts):

Ladies and Gentlemen, Here are the results of this meeting’s motions – vBulletin presents the list of votes in order of FIRST NAME – my apologies in advance for any inconvenience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motion 2012-A-1

=== Motion 1 ===
    e) p. 1007 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:
    1007. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:

Each contestant in a Canadian Youth Championship must fulfill the age requirements specified by FIDE for the World Youth Championship to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a Permanent Resident. Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents, but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament, may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors.

h) p. 1057 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:
    1057. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:

Each contestant in a Canadian Junior Championship must fulfill the age requirements specified by FIDE for the World Junior Championship to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a Permanent Resident. Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents, but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament, may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors."

I support motion 21-A-1 YES (18) Bob Armstrong Christopher Field Egidijus Zeromskis Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO (5) Christopher Mallon Ellen Nadeau Ken Jensen Paul Leblanc Rob Clark ABSTAIN (3) Bob Gillanders Michael von Keitz Vlad Rekhson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motion 2012-A-2

=== Motion 2 ===

"Motion 2011 – A – Participation in the Canadian Youth Chess Championships

Moved - Michael Barron; Seconded – Bob Armstrong

Moved –

a) the title of Section 10 of the CFC Handbook, “ Invitational Youth Championships: Junior, Cadet “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth and Junior Chess Championships “.

b) the title of p. 1000 of the CFC Handbook, “ Events: “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth Chess Championship: “.

c) p. 1001 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:
    1001. Frequency:
    A Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine Canadian Champions and Canadian representatives to all international youth chess competitions.

d) in p. 1002. Format, the words “ three days “ are deleted, and replaced by “ up to four days “.

f) p. 1051 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:
    1051. Canadian Junior Chess Championship:
    A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight girls, then the sections shall be combined.

g) in p. 1052. Format, the words “eight round tournament held over four days “ are deleted, and replaced by “nine round tournament held over five days “.

I support motion 2012-A-2 YES (22) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO (1) Vlad Rekhson ABSTAIN (5) Hugh Brodie Michael von Keitz Peter Stockhausen Simon Ong

Motion 2012-B

I propose 101 be replaced by the following wording;

"1010. Tie Break:

Should two or more players finish the tournament with the same number of points the following tie-break systems are recommended.

(a) Swiss Sections
    • Direct encounter
    • Sum of progressive score
    • Buchholz
    • Playoff
    • Sonneborn-Berger
    • Won games
    • Games played with Black

(b) Round Robin Sections
    • Direct encounter
    • Playoff
    • Games played with Black
    • Koya
    • Sonneborn-Berger
    • Won games

It is recommended that playoffs only be arranged to determine the official Canadian representative to the WYCC.

If playoffs are planned adequate time must be set aside for a conclusion to be reached.

To support motion 2012-B YES (22) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vlad Rekhson Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Egidijus Zeromskis Patrick McDonald
    ABSTAIN (5) Christopher Mallon Ellen Nadeau Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Michael von Keitz

Motion 2012-C

Whereas, philosophically, if not monetarily, all members are of equal importance to the CFC;

Be it resolved that all CFC members count as a single member equivalent regardless of type;

Be it further resolved that the number of membership equivalents required for a governorship to be established thus be equal to seventy-five (75) members.

I support motion 2012-C YES (8) Bob Armstrong Christopher Field Gordon Ritchie Hugh Brodie Michael Barron Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Valer Eugen Demian NO (19) Aris Marghetis Bob Gillanders Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Nikolay Noritsyn Paul Leblanc Pierre Dénommée Vladimir Drkulec ABSTAIN (5) Les Bunning Michael von Keitz Rob Clark Simon Ong Vlad Rekhson

Motion 2012-D

[Editorial note: Governors should note that this is essentially a re-introduction of motion 2010-02 (Moved / Seconded Egidijus Zeromskis / Christopher Mallon)) with the sole exception of the removal of the clause dealing with Participating members since this type of membership was ended by a Governor vote shortly after the demise of En Passant magazine)

It is a constitutional motion since it amends sections of Bylaw One or Bylaw Two]

The Constitution change:
    "JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP
    9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who is under the age of 18, shall be granted a Junior membership or a Junior Participating Membership."

is replaced with:

"JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP

9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who has not reached the age of 20 by January 1st of the current year, shall be granted a Junior membership."

I support motion 2012-D YES (27) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Les Bunning Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Rob Clark Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Aris Marghetis Gordon Ritchie ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

Motion 2012-E

To amend the Handbook section Rules of procedure for The Canadian Junior Championship Tournament with a line:

The winner of the Tournament will be that year’s Canadian Junior Champion.

The paragraph would be read as

1051. Frequency:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Championship Tournament hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship. The winner of the Tournament will be that year’s Canadian Junior Champion.

I support motion 2012-E YES (26) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Rob Clark Vlad Rekhson Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Christopher Mallon Paul Leblanc ABSTAIN (2) Michael von Keitz Simon Ong

Motion 2012-F

To amend the Handbook section Rules of procedure for The Canadian Junior Championship Tournament with a paragraph:
    The Canadian Junior Champion shall receive free entry but must advise the CFC Business Office and organizers of his intention to play no later than 20 days before the start of the Championship.

It would a starting paragraph in 1058. Entries:

1058. Entries:

The Canadian Junior Champion shall receive free entry but must advise the CFC Business Office and organizers of his intention to play no later than 20 days before the start of the Championship.

All eligible players who may qualify pursuant to Clause 1053(c) and who wish to participate in the Junior Tournament shall notify the CFC Business Office no later than 45 days before the start of the Championship of their intention to participate, enclosing their entry fee of $150.00. The CFC Board of Directors may delegate this function to the tournament organizers. Entries which cannot be accepted because the number exceeds the number of players allowed shall be advised thereof and their entry fee returned to them.

Players qualifying pursuant to Clause 1053(a) shall send in their entries as soon as is practical after the Provincial Champion is known but in any case no later than three weeks prior to the start of the Junior Tournament. In exceptional circumstances, the CFC Board of Directors can vary the time limits in this Clause.

I support motion 2012-F YES (28) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Les Bunning Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Paul Leblanc Peter Stockhausen Pierre Dénommée Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Birarov Vladimir Drkulec NO(3) Aris Marghetis Rob Clark Vlad Rekhson ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

Motion 2012-G-1

That the CFC Handbook be amended as follows:

Delete Section 738 (Certificate of Life Master) and replace with:

Section 738. Rating Categories, Titles and Certificates.

a) The CFC officially recognizes the following titles, rating classes and CFC rating floors: National Master (2200), National Candidate Master (2000), Class A (1800), Class B (1600), Class C (1400), Class D (1200), and Class E (1000).

b) To achieve standing for any class or title, the player must:
    i. Have at some point had a published CFC rating above the minimum rating floor for that category or title
    ii. Have in three separate tournaments achieved a norm, which is a performance rating at least 100 points above the rating floor
    iii. For the purposes of these norms, only CFC ratings count, and the player must have played at least five games.
    iv. Matches may not be used as a norm.
    v. An event can be used as a norm for multiple classes - for example, a 2300 performance event can be a norm used by the same player for Class A, National Candidate Master AND National Master.

c) Certificates. The CFC will provide, free of charge, certificates to those who achieve the title of National Master or any higher title that the CFC chooses to award. Certificates for lower titles or classes are not automatically provided, but may be requested. The CFC Executive is empowered to set a fee for this service not to exceed $10 including shipping.

I support motion 2012-G1 YES(25) Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Egidijus Zeromskis Ellen Nadeau Fred McKim Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Einarsson Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lyle Craver Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Robert Laszlo Simon Ong Valer Eugen Demian Vladimir Drkulec NO (2) Aris Marghetis Pierre Dénommée ABSTAIN (1) Michael von Keitz

Motion 2012-G-2

That Section 738 a) of the CFC Handbook be amended as follows:

Insert "Senior National Master (2400)," prior to "National Master".

I support motion 2012-G2 YES (15) Christopher Field Christopher Mallon Halldor P. Palsson Hugh Brodie Ken Einarsson Lyle Craver Patrick McDonald Peter Stockhausen Simon Ong Vladimir Drkulec NO (10) Aris Marghetis Bob Armstrong Bob Gillanders Egidijus Zeromskis Fred McKim Ilia Bluvshtein Ken Craft Ken Jensen Kevin Pacey Lynn Stringer Mark S. Dutton, I.A. Michael Barron Nikolay Noritsyn Robert Laszlo Valer Eugen Demian ABSTAIN (3) Ellen Nadeau Michael von Keitz Pierre Dénommée

Thus the following motions pass: 21-A-1, 21-A-2, 2012-B, 2012-D, 2012-E, 2012-F, 2012-G1.

Motions 2012-C and 2012-G2 have failed.

I certify a quorum has been achieved on all motions as given above.

Lyle Craver
    Secretary, Chess Federation of Canada