I have been quite busy since the CYCC in July and after being elected as your new CFC Youth Coordinator.

With the new more inclusive rules, we have a few extra players beyond the players that qualified through the CYCC. That together with the enormous success that the CYCC this year was (Special Congratulations go to this year’s CYCC organizing committee) has put together a Canadian Youth Team going to this years WYCC in Brazil that may well break previous records for number of participants from Canada.

At time of writing, a few more confirmations have to be received, but we may well have a team of about 40 players!
> Update - We do in fact have just over 40 players and this year we have managed to swing a budget to include 3 - count them - 3 coaches! - Nikolay Noritsyn, Andrew Peredun and Mikhaill Egorov will be our very competent coaching team this year. They are already making plans on working with their own groups of youth players in advance of going to the WYCC!

I would also like to thank both Gary Gladstone and Andrew Giblon for the extra help they are already giving me in this organizational task.
> Update - Both Andrew Giblon and Gary Gladstone have been selected as our Head of Delegation and Assistant Head of Delegation respectively! With these two very competent organizers and our 3 Team coaches, we are looking much more professional this year, will have a team that is well looked after, and hope to see some great successes at this year's WYCC in Brazil in November!

More will be reported on the Youth team and the WYCC in the next report.

Interested has also been shown in the U-16 olympiad in Turkey in October. At this time, though, there appears to be very little info on the FIDE site about this tournament.
> update - we have information and are seeking interested U16 youth to be part of the team (as well as a Head of Delegation - although we may have a very competent one already)

Personally, I have also been invited to run a workshop on the Benefits of Chess in Education at the Grand Valley Mathematics Association conference at the beginning of November. (wish me luck)

Thank You,
ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ
Patrick S McDonald IA
Youth Coordinator – Chess Federation of Canada
In addition to his initial report, the Youth Coordinator started a discussion surrounding the possibility of formalizing the Youth Committee. The concept seemed to receive unanimous support; however, there was no consensus on how this might best be achieved. With the Youth Coordinator's stated intention being to put a motion forward, those interested in further engaging in the conversation surrounding the formalization of the committee are invited to contact Patrick McDonald (patrick@psmcd.net) prior to our next quarterly meeting.