Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22. New Business

Default 22. New Business

Governors, here is where you post any new business not dealt with in the main agenda.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 09-30-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Default CFC Governors Ethics and Code of Conduct

I would suggest the following item:
    "CFC Governors Ethics and Code of Conduct"
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default "we" and "they"

Dear Governors,

First of all, I must admit that the following is just my personal opinion, and would like to apologize beforehand if somebody find it not "politically correct".

But we need to address this issue that recently became a problem that hinders chess development in Canada and damages public image of Chess Federation of Canada.

Unfortunately, some CFC Governors use public forums to denigrate CFC as organization and CFC Officers personally.
    Such Governors don't consider themselves as part of organization and create impression that they're fighting against the CFC.

Such attitude is absolutely unacceptable for a person who supposed to govern an organization.
    Any CFC Governor should accept any democratic decision made by the CFC management and assume ownership of it, even if he personally doesn't agree with it.
    If a Governor can't do it, he should resign immediately!

We have private Governors forum to express constructive criticism and suggest legitimate solution for any real or imaginary problem, where we can discuss all proposals and make necessary corrections to the rules.

We could have sharp debates on the private Governors forum, but for the general public we all should appear as a strong and unite organization.

This should be CFC Governors Code of Conduct.

Thank you for your consideration!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

There's been all kinds of stuff over the last decade I haven't agreed with and sometimes I've had to quietly change the subject

But I hope it would be taken as a given that we're all volunteers working for the good of the game in this country? As opposed to our private benefit?

As far as I know the only people making anything from chess in this country are Jonathan Berry (the pittance he gets from the Globe & Mail) and Larry Bevand (I have no idea how much he makes but he's clearly a chess entrepreneur to some extent).

I would like to suggest update of the CFC certified t.d's list (http://chess.ca/cfc-arbiters). I think we should be adding new certified t.d's to the list.

In this meeting, we have discussed about class certificates which is a very good idea. I am thinking if we can do the same for t.ds and organizers. We can make it easy for t.ds. to become certified, for example,

Local Tournament Director
    1. Run at least 4 tournaments, including one swiss and one round robin
    2. One swiss at least 10 participants.
    3. Knowledge of the CFC Handbook, especially FIDE Law of Chess.

Regional Tournament Director
    1. Run at least 4 tournaments, including one swiss and one round robin.
    2. One swiss at least 30 participants.

National Tournament Director
    1. Run at least 6 tournaments, including one swiss and one round robin.
    2. One of the tournament must be a major national or international tournament.

Of course, we the TDOCP committee can administer an exam if they want to follow what was outlined in Section 20 of the Handbook.

Just an idea

Default Youth Committee

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Governors, here is where you post any new business not dealt with in the main agenda.
    I have introduced a discussion around the Youth Committee under my report as Youth Coordinator.

Please have a look and make your comments / suggestions.

Thank You,
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Michael, I agree with you. We have enough challenges without having to deal with this type of unhelpful behavior.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Default private benefit

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    There's been all kinds of stuff over the last decade I haven't agreed with and sometimes I've had to quietly change the subject

But I hope it would be taken as a given that we're all volunteers working for the good of the game in this country? As opposed to our private benefit?

As far as I know the only people making anything from chess in this country are Jonathan Berry (the pittance he gets from the Globe & Mail) and Larry Bevand (I have no idea how much he makes but he's clearly a chess entrepreneur to some extent).
    Lyle,

You're free to disagree, but in this country there is relatively big category that makes money from chess - private chess coaches.

I'm quite sure, for example, that Mr.Egorov got paid by Mrs.Jin, although don't have a hard evidence in hand.

Just to clarify:
    I don't want to say that a coach should work for free or that a coach can't be a CFC Governor,
    I just want to say that a coach can't be completely impartial and we should take his opinion on certain matters with a gran of salt...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Unless I've occasionally slipped up, I've actually personally tried to follow Michael's ideal WHILE I'm a Governor. However, it's a bit of a slippery slope. Does criticizing inacative Governors as 'Deadwood' constitute a violation of such a code, for example, as even an Exec member has recently publicly done?

As for the frustration I've occasionally been given to vent while I'm not a Governor, or even a CFC member, should that count against me under such a code when I become a Governor later? That I think, of course, should be left up to those who appoint or vote in Governors in the first place.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Does criticizing inacative Governors as 'Deadwood' constitute a violation of such a code, for example, as even an Exec member has recently publicly done?
    That would be me....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast