Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 15. Membership Equivalents Motion 2012-C

Default CFC Child Members Have Governor Election Vote

Hi Fred:

A while ago, I brought in amendments to the CFC Handbook to make it clear that the CFC demands that CFC members have the right to elect the CFC governors in their province, or region.

I did this specifically to avoid the provinces being able to affect the rights of CFC members. At the time Ontario had legislation that took the CFC member right away. It had the CFC governors elected by the Ontario Chess Association.

So, though the Provinces have CFC Governors, they are elected according to the CFC Handbook. So CFC seems to have determined so far ( without likely realizing it - I didn't ) that child members have a vote for their CFC Governors.

So, for example, the GTCL has child members as well, it seems. Here are the relevant sections of the GTCL Constitution:

Article 3. The Membership

3.1 Individuals are the GTCL members provided:

3.1.1 they are members in good standing of the Chess Federation of Canada (CFC);

3.1.2 they live or work in the GTA, as defined in this Constitution.

Article 8. The Annual General Meeting

8.1 All GTCL members in good standing may attend this meeting.

8.2 All GTCL members in good standing shall be able to nominate for, stand for, and vote in the election of executive officers, which shall be held at the Annual General Meeting. The election of the executive shall be by secret ballot if there is more than one nominee for an executive position.

8.3 All GTCL members in good standing shall be entitled to vote on any motions referred to the Annual General Meeting by the Board.

8.9 Only the GTCL members who are also CFC members in good standing, shall stand for, nominate and elect the CFC governors for the GTCL, and the OCA Governors for the GTCL, pursuant to the OCA Constitution/Bylaws. The election shall be by secret ballot if there are more nominees than governor positions

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 10-05-2011 at 09:13 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Fred:

A while ago, I brought in amendments to the CFC Handbook to make it clear that the CFC demands that CFC members have the right to elect the CFC governors in their province, or region.

I did this specifically to avoid the provinces being able to affect the rights of CFC members. At the time Ontario had legislation that took the CFC member right away. It had the CFC governors elected by the Ontario Chess Association.

So, though the Provinces have CFC Governors, they are elected according to the CFC Handbook. So CFC seems to have determined so far ( without likely realizing it - I didn't ) that child members have a vote for their CFC Governors.

So, for example, the GTCL has child members as well, it seems. Here are the relevant sections of the GTCL Constitution:

Article 3. The Membership

3.1 Individuals are the GTCL members provided:

3.1.1 they are members in good standing of the Chess Federation of Canada (CFC);

3.1.2 they live or work in the GTA, as defined in this Constitution.

Article 8. The Annual General Meeting

8.1 All GTCL members in good standing may attend this meeting.

8.2 All GTCL members in good standing shall be able to nominate for, stand for, and vote in the election of executive officers, which shall be held at the Annual General Meeting. The election of the executive shall be by secret ballot if there is more than one nominee for an executive position.

8.3 All GTCL members in good standing shall be entitled to vote on any motions referred to the Annual General Meeting by the Board.

8.9 Only the GTCL members who are also CFC members in good standing, shall stand for, nominate and elect the CFC governors for the GTCL, and the OCA Governors for the GTCL, pursuant to the OCA Constitution/Bylaws. The election shall be by secret ballot if there are more nominees than governor positions

Bob A
    Section 2.5 (which has some duplicate text) of the Handbook would seem to say that only ordinary (ie adult) members can vote for CFC Governor.

I have always understood that only adult members can vote for CFC Governors.

Hi Fred:

Sorry, but which section of the Handbook are you referring to, and which By-law ? - you refer to para. 2.5 but I'm not sure where it is.

Thx.

Bob A

Hi Ken:

Can you direct me to a Handbook section that clearly imposes that restriction ( Fred has referred to s. 2.5? ) ?

I fear it's just a hole - no one realized that we hadn't covered that - and right now, I don't know if we should or should not allow junior U 18 voting for governors. Would it get the CFC child member parents more involved in the CFC administratively?

Bob A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Ken:

Can you direct me to a Handbook section that clearly imposes that restriction ( Fred has referred to s. 2.5? ) ?

I fear it's just a hole - no one realized that we hadn't covered that - and right now, I don't know if we should or should not allow junior U 18 voting for governors. Would it get the CFC child member parents more involved in the CFC administratively?

Bob A
    Section 2 of the Handbook

By Law #1 Point #5

Handbook - Section 2, Bylaw # 1:

ORDINARY MEMBERSHIP

5. Any person, ordinarily resident in Canada, may become an Ordinary Member of the Federation, for the then-current fiscal year, upon payment of the Membership per Capita Fee, directly to the Federation, or through his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization. Every Ordinary or Life Member has a right to vote on the appointment or election of the Governor or Governors who will represent his Provincial Organization at the assembly of Governors {see CFC Rules and Regulations, Article 1, Section 9} but shall not be entitled to vote under any other circumstances unless specifically provided in these by-laws. [Amended Motion 2009-11 2009 AGM Liles/von Keitz]

JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP

9. Any person ordinarily resident in Canada who is under the age of 18, shall be granted a Junior membership or a Junior Participating Membership.
    [ we are now voting whether to raise the age to 20 years ]

Would seem you and Fred are right that junor members cannot vote for Governors. Thx.

Bob A

It was suggested that this motion was a veiled attempt to reduce the number of CFC governors, in addition to being poorly thought out and presented. It was argued that membership weights must be proportional to dues paid. Further, it was clarified that junior members do not have the right to vote for CFC governors. As was pointed out, the Chair committed a faux pas by seconding the motion in the first place, which will not occur in future.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123