Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10. Affiliate Program Discussion

Default 10. Affiliate Program Discussion

Our President Michael von Keitz will be heading up this discussion

With the hope of perhaps presenting a motion at the next quarterly meeting, I would like to take this opportunity to have a discussion on the possibility of revamping the old Affiliate Program. In a nutshell, you used to be able to pay a fee to the CFC in order to receive a percentage of each membership you collected on the Federation's behalf.

My first question is whether you think it's a worthwhile program - it has failed before, will it fail again?

My second question is whether it should remain in the same form - same fee, same percentage, etc?

My final question is whether restrictions should apply - only open to clubs/organizations (i.e. not individuals, such as TDs), only able to target people from your geographic area (i.e. only an organization in Ottawa may collect memberships for residents of Ottawa), only able to collect a membership from the same person X number of years?

My preference would be for limiting it to provincial affiliates.

I would not object to a provincial affiliate (ON?) allowing sub-provincial groups as long as any revenue rights either stayed with the province or were permanently assigned by a written agreement filed with the CFC. No double dipping in other words!

Blog Entries

How would a provincial affiliate differ from a provincial association exactly?

I wouldn't mind seeing clubs allowed to purchase these, however to avoid the main problem with the program as it was before, you'd have to actually keep track of which club a member is associated with. That way no matter how they renew the next year, the affiliate gets the money back.

Of course the member could ask the CFC to change or terminate their association with a club at any time. The earlier problems were that a club would sign up its members but then some would renew at out of town events, or even by automatic credit card renewals at the request of the CFC, rather than giving their money to their club.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

I wasn't aware there were any failures with the original program. I think it simply failed to be advertized any more by us.

Chris, we are debating who can be an affiliate. An affiliate has nothing to do with a Provincial Association. An affiliate is a person or a legal person (Club, League..) that has been authorised to sell CFC memberships in exchange for a commission. Anybody may sell a CFC membership, but only an affiliate will get paid for doing so.

The question are

1. Do we want anyone to sell CFC memberships for a commission?
    2. If yes, who should be authorised and what should be the rate of commission?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    How would a provincial affiliate differ from a provincial association exactly?
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 10-02-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Chris, we are debating who can be an affiliate. An affiliate has nothing to do with a Provincial Association. An affiliate is a person or a legal person (Club, League..) that has been authorised to sell CFC memberships in exchange for a commission. Anybody may sell a CFC membership, but only an affiliate will get paid for doing so.

The question are

1. Do we want anyone to sell CFC memberships for a commission?
    2. If yes, who should be authorised and what should be the rate of commission?
    Pierre, your post makes no sense. I never said the provincial associations should be affiliates. Plus I'm pretty sure I know what an affiliate is.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

In order to reinvigorate this conversation, I'll provide a specific scenario:

$50 buy-in for 10% commission on membership sales. No restrictions. Memberships brought in by affiliates are tracked, but it's up to them to ensure repeat business.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    In order to reinvigorate this conversation, I'll provide a specific scenario:

$50 buy-in for 10% commission on membership sales. No restrictions. Memberships brought in by affiliates are tracked, but it's up to them to ensure repeat business.

Discuss.
    10% of what?
    For example, Ontario adult membership is $ 48. ( 36 CFC +7 OCA + 5 HST)
    I am guessing it is 10% of $36 = $ 3.60 commission.
    The affiliate is responsible for getting proper addresses and emails, right?

Your guess is correct and, yes, the affiliate would be responsible for collecting membership information as part of the program.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast