View Poll Results: I support Chris Mallon's proposal to split this motion in two.

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 88.24%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

2 11.76%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 13. CYCC Eligibility Motion (Motion 2012-A)

Hybrid View

Default 13. CYCC Eligibility Motion (Motion 2012-A)

Motion 2011 – A – Participation in the Canadian Youth Chess Championships

Moved – Michael Barron; Seconded – Bob Armstrong

Moved –

a) the title of Section 10 of the CFC Handbook, “ Invitational Youth Championships: Junior, Cadet “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth and Junior Chess Championships “.

b) the title of p. 1000 of the CFC Handbook, “ Events: “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth Chess Championship: “.

c) add to p. 1001. Frequency, after the words “ World 10 Championship “ the words “ and World 8 Championship “.

d) in p. 1002. Format, the words “ three days “ are deleted, and replaced by “ up to four days “.

e) p. 1007 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:

1007. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:

Each contestant in a Canadian Youth Championship must fulfill the age requirements specified by FIDE for the World Youth Championship to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a Permanent Resident. Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents, but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament, may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors.

f) p. 1051 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:

1051. Canadian Junior Chess Championship:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight girls, then the sections shall be combined.

g) in p. 1052. Format, the words “eight round tournament held over four days “ are deleted, and replaced by “nine round tournament held over five days “.

h) p. 1057 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:

1057. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:

Each contestant in a Canadian Junior Championship must fulfill the age requirements specified by FIDE for the World Junior Championship to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a Permanent Resident. Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents, but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament, may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors.

(editorial note: Governors interested in previous discussion on this subject may want to check out http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...?t=1956&page=4)
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 09-30-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Blog Entries

I move to divide the motion into two parts. Part one will be the portions referring to sections 1007 and 1057, and part two will be everything else, as shown below. Reasoning is that everything else is "housekeeping" of the rules but 1007 and 1057 are actual changes which have proven to be controversial.

http://www.netplaces.com/roberts-rul...ion-motion.htm As per Robert's Rules if my motion to divide is seconded it goes to immediate vote without further discussion.

Divided motions would be:

a) p. 1007 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:

1007. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:

Each contestant in a Canadian Youth Championship must fulfill the age requirements specified by FIDE for the World Youth Championship to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a Permanent Resident. Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents, but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament, may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors.

b) p. 1057 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:

1057. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:

Each contestant in a Canadian Junior Championship must fulfill the age requirements specified by FIDE for the World Junior Championship to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a Permanent Resident. Persons who are not citizens or permanent residents, but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament, may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors.

a) the title of Section 10 of the CFC Handbook, “ Invitational Youth Championships: Junior, Cadet “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth and Junior Chess Championships “.

b) the title of p. 1000 of the CFC Handbook, “ Events: “, is deleted and replaced by “ Canadian Youth Chess Championship: “.

c) add to p. 1001. Frequency, after the words “ World 10 Championship “ the words “ and World 8 Championship “.

d) in p. 1002. Format, the words “ three days “ are deleted, and replaced by “ up to four days “.

e) p. 1051 of Section 10, is deleted, and replaced by:

1051. Canadian Junior Chess Championship:

A Tournament known as the Canadian Junior Chess Championship hereinafter referred to as the Junior Tournament shall normally be held each year to determine the Canadian representative to the World Junior Chess Championship and consist of 2 sections - Open and Girls. When there are less than eight girls, then the sections shall be combined.

f) in p. 1052. Format, the words “eight round tournament held over four days “ are deleted, and replaced by “nine round tournament held over five days “.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default Seconded

I will second the motion to separate this proposal.

Blog Entries

Lyle/Michael, as an administrative suggestion since I don't think we have rules for this precise situation, you could open a vote on the motion to divide and allow discussion to proceed here in the meantime on the actual motion(s). Have the vote to divide close just before the voting on the actual motion begins.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default I will second this proposal

I will accept Chris' proposal to put it to a vote and thus have set it up for IMMEDIATE voting will polling to end at the time main voting on the motion is to begin.

Mr. President is that acceptable?
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 10-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Excellent, Lyle!

Blog Entries

Great, thanks.
    For those who may have missed it, the poll is actually above the first post in this thread.

Now, on to discussing the motion itself.

I support the "housekeeping" portion of this motion. I do not support the portions pertaining to 1007 and 1057. I would, however, accept a compromise between the existing and the proposed rules - that a player must be eligible for the FIDE event (WYCC or World Junior) that the tournament leads to. In other words they must have 12 months of residency as of the start of the World event, rather than the start of the Canadian event.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Thanks Michael.

And especially thanks to the mover and seconder for the change to 1057 - for me it has always been oxymoronic to let a player play in a qualifying event if he/she is not eligible to play in the event that the tournament qualifies one for.

Actually it's been a personal sore point since I well remember one tournament back when I was a very young junior where I was tied at 5/5 going into the last round with a junior (who was NOT eligible for the next level event), lost to him and saw the player who had been at 4.5/5 (who normally would have been my last round opponent and who I naturally thought I would have crushed!) qualify instead of me. 40 years later I still remember it sadly...

Default CYCC is Canadian Championship

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    And especially thanks to the mover and seconder for the change to 1057 - for me it has always been oxymoronic to let a player play in a qualifying event if he/she is not eligible to play in the event that the tournament qualifies one for.
    Lyle,

Let's be clear here:
    CYCC is first of all a Canadian Championship!
    Yes, we use CYCC results to qualify payers to WYCC, Pan American YCC, North American YCC, and other international events, but all this is a secondary goal.
    We should encourage all Canadians to participate at CYCC.

So, the question actually is:
    When a Permanent Resident becomes a Canadian:
    when he arrives to Canada or only 12 months later?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Exclamation Permanent resident

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Lyle,

Let's be clear here:
    CYCC is first of all a Canadian Championship!
    Yes, we use CYCC results to qualify payers to WYCC, Pan American YCC, North American YCC, and other international events, but all this is a secondary goal.
    We should encourage all Canadians to participate at CYCC.

So, the question actually is:
    When a Permanent Resident becomes a Canadian:
    when he arrives to Canada or only 12 months later?
    A Permanent Resident is allowed to apply for citizenship ONLY AFTER it has spent a total of minimum 3 years (continuous or in segments) in the country!
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast