Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12. Class Certificates Motions (Chris Mallon) (re-designated as 2012-G1 and 2012-G2)

Blog Entries

Pierre, it would be virtually impossible to get any of the higher titles with a provisional rating in any case. As for the rest, it was designed to make it extremely easy to calculate - a simple database query could probably produce a list of anyone who qualifies for a certain title. Some people actually thought my requirements were too difficult in the prior discussion.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Exclamation Second this opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I'm willing to support Motion #1.

As for Motion #2 - no. I'm opposing the Senior in the title. Chess has a tradition with a Grand.
    I second this opinion. With all due respect introducing the Senior title for ratings between 2200 - 2400:
    A) Is meaningless (those players most certainly have FIDE ratings and aspirations);

B) Overlaps FIDE (why change something already working for several years);

C) The word "Senior" has negative connotations regardless if they are intended or not. ICCF has done the same thing long ago by introducing the Senior International Master title (SIM - ICCF) and ever since it is considered by people the poor relative of the other two: IM - ICCF and GM- ICCF.
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Lyle, can you get these motions up for vote?

Default No Vote???

Lyle:

How come these 2 motions ( Mallon/Drkulec ) are not being voted on now??

Bob A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Lyle, can you get these motions up for vote?
    I have the feeling that if we can bring this in we might close at least some of the enthusiasm gap that exists between CFC and USCF chess so lets make it a voting item ASAP.

Blog Entries

At this point the President has at least three times instructed the Secretary to get these motions up for vote.

I'm not sure why it hasn't happened.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Post Voting

Thank you to all who voted in general and this split motion in particular! It is my hope we will stop talking about "new" categories preceded by the word "Senior" after the crystal clear voting on the issue this time around... We have enough areas deserving our full attention to afford wasting time on these kind of ideas...
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Blog Entries

By the way, I would be happy to work with the Exec (Fred I guess) on an interim mostly-automated method to produce lists of who has which title, until such time as it can be programmed into either the website itself or the rating software.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Chris Mallon presented two motions, one introducing formal rating categories/titles, the other specifically proposing the title of "Senior National Master." The first motion was generally well received, while the second motion was not. Some concern was raised that the titles might be too easy to achieve, but, in fact, previous discussions raised opposite concerns - that the requirements were too stringent. Ease of calculation was also cited as a reason for the system being proposed as it was. Regulations surrounding the implementation of the program were deferred to the executive, while Chris offered his expertise in assisting to develop an interim solution for the production of lists of those having earned titles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12