Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10. Affiliate Program Discussion

Blog Entries

If the CFC doesn't keep track of affiliation, and indeed encourages automatic renewals (as they should!) Then how is this different from the old program that sputtered to nothingness?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

We can track affiliations, but the affiliates can't expect the office to provide them with up-to-the-minute notice when one of their members comes up for renewal. What I mean when I say "it's up to them to ensure repeat business" is that the affiliate should keep on top of expirations (info readily available on the website) and proactively pursue members.

Blog Entries

And what I meant is that the affiliate should get the 10 percent no matter how the member renews, unless they switch to another affiliate.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Lightbulb Dutton Chess was an affiliate for years -- it was a worthwhile investment!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Your guess is correct and, yes, the affiliate would be responsible for collecting membership information as part of the program.
    Dutton Chess Club on Bayview was an affiliate for years -- as was the SCC.

It is of great benefit -- the organization breaks even after about 20 CFC memberships sold in a year.

So... if an individual organizer or club or organization sells more than 20 memberships per year, it is a worthwhile Program to have.

The program also provides greater incentive to TD's to "UP-Sell" the tournament membership fee to a full 1 year membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    And what I meant is that the affiliate should get the 10 percent no matter how the member renews, unless they switch to another affiliate.
    The purpose of the tracking would be to avoid affiliates sniping members from other affiliates, but I don't think the affiliate should receive the yearly 10% ad infinitum if they do nothing to ensure the members they attract stay with the organization. E-mail the member to remind them to renew and CC the office, or have the member indicate that they have again renewed through you (or send it in yourself as part of a package), otherwise I'd give the office credit for the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
    Dutton Chess Club on Bayview was an affiliate for years -- as was the SCC.

It is of great benefit -- the organization breaks even after about 20 CFC memberships sold in a year.

So... if an individual organizer or club or organization sells more than 20 memberships per year, it is a worthwhile Program to have.

The program also provides greater incentive to TD's to "UP-Sell" the tournament membership fee to a full 1 year membership.
    As a former user of the program, do you think the numbers are right, or could the buy-in and/or percentage stand to change from what I'm suggesting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    The purpose of the tracking would be to avoid affiliates sniping members from other affiliates, but I don't think the affiliate should receive the yearly 10% ad infinitum if they do nothing to ensure the members they attract stay with the organization. E-mail the member to remind them to renew and CC the office, or have the member indicate that they have again renewed through you (or send it in yourself as part of a package), otherwise I'd give the office credit for the sale.
    You completely missed my point. The office likes doing auto-renewals on credit cards. This is a great business concept and should be encouraged. Therefore it should not conflict with the affiliates program. It also requires less work on the part of the office than selling a brand new membership so I don't see why they should get "credit" for the sale (were you going to give the office workers the 10%?)...
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    You completely missed my point. The office likes doing auto-renewals on credit cards. This is a great business concept and should be encouraged. Therefore it should not conflict with the affiliates program. It also requires less work on the part of the office than selling a brand new membership so I don't see why they should get "credit" for the sale (were you going to give the office workers the 10%?)...
    It seems I may have. I was focused on those that renew year-after-year without being set up for auto-renewal (e.g. pay cash at tournaments, mail in a cheque, etc). My statement still stands for those cases. As for those that are set-up for auto-renewal from the get-go, sure, it seems appropriate to allocate the 10% to the affiliate for each renewal. Also, no, I wasn't equating giving the office credit with giving them a 10% commission.

Blog Entries

We might have the basis for an agreement here, then. And between you and me we're about 60% of this thread hehe.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Personally, I think it's being overly complicated by you guys. You get a percentage on the money you submit. End of the line.

The player renewing on their own is great. I think your model could be simplified by increasing the percentage rebated to 15% to compensate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast