Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9. CYCC Qualification System Discussion

Default 9. CYCC Qualification System Discussion

Michael Barron will be heading up this discussion

Default First year analysis

Dear Governors,

This year is the first when CYCC Qualification System was implemented.
    We had 17 CYCC qualifiers throughout the country:
    2 - in BC,
    1 - in Alberta,
    2 - in Quebec,
    2 - in Northern Ontario,
    10 - in (rest of) Ontario.
    As result, many juniors were introduced to organized chess and played in their first ever CFC-rated tournament.
    CYCC participation increased from 167 players in 2010 to 237 players in 2011.
    I don't have financial report yet, but my estimation is that 17 qualifiers raised about $3000 for CFC Youth Program fund.
    Bob Gillanders promised at the AGM to provide comprehensive financial report for the CFC Youth Program fund.

What could be done to improve CYCC Qualification System?

1) We need to encourage all Provincial Affiliates to run Provincial Youth Championships.
    2) There is opinion that in Ontario were too many CYCC qualifiers. As result, Ontario Youth Championship had less participants than in 2010.
    Probably we need to limit quantity of CYCC qualifiers in Ontario and increase their quality.

Your comments and suggestions are welcome!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Great results from Ontario

The results from Ontario are very good. I believe it was something like 204 of the 237 players at CYCC 2011 were from Ontario. Is this a sign of renewed CFC youth activity in Ontario or a tribute to the hard work of the CYCC organizers? Either way it's the best thing to happen to CFC youth chess in a while.

This year will be a good test. If the Ontario numbers hold up when the CYCC is on the west coast.

I am curious how many of the OYCC's represent first time events, and how many were existing events relabelled for the cause. Clearly there was a positive effect on CYCC either way. Kids came out to CYCC who never had in the past.

Do we have a report of the financials for the YCC's and the Youth Fund?

Ken Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jensen View Post
    The results from Ontario are very good. I believe it was something like 204 of the 237 players at CYCC 2011 were from Ontario. Is this a sign of renewed CFC youth activity in Ontario or a tribute to the hard work of the CYCC organizers? Either way it's the best thing to happen to CFC youth chess in a while.
    Thank you, Ken!
    Please keep the positive attitude!

As for your question - it's result of many people's efforts - and great work of the CYCC organizers, and great work of many local organizers throughout Ontario.

This year will be a good test. If the Ontario numbers hold up when the CYCC is on the west coast.
    It's unrealistic to expect 200 Ontario players on the west coast.
    Canada is a big country, and cost of travel is too prohibitive.
    The idea of rotating CYCC across the country is to boost local participation.
    It's a good chance for you to demonstrate results of your chess program.
    So, we expect next year 200 BC players at CYCC...

I am curious how many of the OYCC's represent first time events, and how many were existing events relabelled for the cause. Clearly there was a positive effect on CYCC either way. Kids came out to CYCC who never had in the past.
    To the best of my knowledge, Ontario (except Northern Ontario, which considered a separate province for CYCC qualification) had in the past only 2 such events - Ontario YCC and Toronto YCC, which was a qualifier for the former. Yes, CYCC encouraged local organizers to organize more tournaments for kids and promote CYCC by doing it.

Do we have a report of the financials for the YCC's and the Youth Fund?
    Hopefully, Bob Gillanders is going to present such report to the Meeting...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Hopefully, Bob Gillanders is going to present such report to the Meeting...
    Michael, that is the plan. I am working on it today, and hopefully I can have something to report tomorrow. The report will show all the activity in the youth program from April 2010 to April 2011, and maybe up to July 31, 2011 as well.

The original idea behind the CYCC was to have local or regional qualifiers with minimal entry fees, the winners would go to the provincial qualifiers and their entry fees to the provincials were to be paid paid from the entry fees collected at the local or regional qualifiers. Similarly the winners of the provincials would go to the nationals with the entry fees for the nationals paid from the entry fees from the provincials. However the organisation required to do this was not available in all provinces so the system developed where entry fees to the provincials or nationals were allowed directly from any player who paid the appropriate entry fee. Therefore the CYCC has become became more like a youth Canadian Open instead of a youth Canadian Closed. This greater participation has led to the event becoming more successful. Although the cost of travel and the entry fees are a challenge for some of the players it should be noted that frequently parents are prepared to spend more money on their children than they are on themselves. Possibly the CFC should set up a fund to assist the better players in any age group who could not otherwise afford to compete. Possibly such a fund could be established from surplus funds from prior years CYCC.
    Les Bunning

Default Youth Fund

For what it's worth Les that's how the program works in BC. All proceeds from the BCYCC go into registration fees for CYCC.

I agree that the CFC should manage the Youth Fund with a long term plan. Surpluses should not be a bad thing that cause angst and name calling. It is not necessary to drain the account to zero at the end of each cycle. It should be noted the Canada's U8 World Champion Jason Cao cannot afford to attend WYCC this year to defend his title.

Getting a handle on this would be alot easier if we had detailed accounting of the Youth Fund. It has been recommended several times that the Youth Fund should be separate and distinct account from CFC general revenues to prevent the historical "leakages' that have consumed previous surpluses.

Ken Jensen

Default regional qualifiers

Agreed with Les.
    When I have run a qualifier in Toronto, the prizes were paid entry to the Ontario YCC.

Chris Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Michael, that is the plan. I am working on it today, and hopefully I can have something to report tomorrow. The report will show all the activity in the youth program from April 2010 to April 2011, and maybe up to July 31, 2011 as well.
    A preliminary report is posted under thread 5c. Executive reports - Past President.

Thumbs up Good start!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    A preliminary report is posted under thread 5c. Executive reports - Past President.
    Thank you, Bob!

Please don't waste your time looking for missing 39 Euros - the amount is insignificant and most likely attributed to difference in currency exchange rate.

We already know that 2010 CYCC / WYCC made a surplus ~$3K.

Most interesting the next step:
    How much contributed a new CYCC qualification system?

Please keep us informed!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast