Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9. CYCC Qualification System Discussion

Default Youth Fund Financials

Thanks for the Youth Fund financials.

It is nice to have a clear accounting for a change.

I have only 2 questions;
    What was the $1,200 in credit card costs?
    Why did the CFC give CYCC 2011 $1,000?

Ken Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jensen View Post
    Thanks for the Youth Fund financials.

It is nice to have a clear accounting for a change.

I have only 2 questions;
    What was the $1,200 in credit card costs?
    Why did the CFC give CYCC 2011 $1,000?

Ken Jensen
    Most of the families pay for their hotels etc with credit card payments to the CFC office. The greedy banks charge about a 3% transaction fee.

This report is for the 2010 CYCC/WYCC, not 2011. The clock was ticking down on finding an organizer for the 2010 CYCC, the Van Dusen administration primed the pump with $1,000 in seed money to secure the Windsor bid.

Default Credit card expenses for WYCC

Thanks for the details Bob.
    It is a refreshing change to have clear answers to simple questions.

In hindsight it seems to me the the CFC Youth Fund should not be paying $1,200 in credit card charges so parents can pay by credit card for their player's expenses at WYCC. Is that a recurring cost each year?

In future I recommend any such charges flow through to the people making the payments via credit card. A 3% credit card fee is not uncommon. That amount is hard gained and could be better spent within the Youth Fund.

Thanks again for the hard work

Ken Jensen

Michael Barron led a discussion on possible improvements to the CYCC Qualification System, specifically suggesting that Provincial Affiliates should be encouraged to run Provincial YCCs. It was pointed out that the CYCC was originally intended to be a closed event whereby players qualified through their respective provincial YCCs, which, similarly, were to be closed to allow only local/regional qualifiers to attend. In effect, each event would provide a bursary to the winners to attend the next stage. For various reasons, the intention wasn't wholly adhered to, though Ken Jensen indicated that the system works that way in British Columbia, while Chris Field also mentioned that the Toronto YCC serves to provide bursaries to the OYCC. In the course of conversation, Bob Gillanders injected his financial report for the 2010 CYCC. $1200 of credit card fees were incurred as a result of families paying for hotels etc with credit card payments to the CFC office - a practice that Ken Jensen suggested might best be put to a stop. In addition, it was clarified that Eric van Dusen's administration offered $1000 in seed money to secure a bid for the 2010 CYCC in Windsor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12