Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8. Swiss Manager (Hal as TDOCP Chair)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Is there a demo copy somewhere (say for doing up to 3 rounds or 10 players) that one could download for review
    http://swiss-manager.at/download.aspx?lan=1
    "The download-file basically is the full versions. But only with the correct installation code, which the customer receives If he buys the program he can use it as light or full version. Otherwise, the program can used as a Demo version."
    .*-1

One step ahead of me Egis - thank you.

Interested parties should download this program and play around with it. I welcome your comments.

My hunch is that we can evaluate the program adequately from the demo version. The question I cannot answer is the cost of the interface with our own database.

If I recall correctly, the Swissys deal cost $5000. This program has been tolerated but not approved by FIDE. I have heard rumors that Swissys is seeking FIDE approval but no word on the progress.

Default On first glance

I am concerned that I cannot find a facility for running a multi-sectioned tournament.
    I am assuming therefore that I would have to run separate instances of SwissManager, one for each section, and therefore lose the facility to easily move players from one section to another.
    Another possible problem is that you have to identify the tournament as a Swiss pairing system or Round Robin before creating the tournament.
    This means that if you have a small number of players turn out for any given section, you would have to re-create the section/tournament to change from a Swiss to a Round Robin.

For the way we run tournaments, this could cause more delays in starting the tournament.

It just seems more awkward than SwissSys.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

I believe that unless it got approved by FIDE, it is only a question of time until we are no longer allowed to use SissSys to run norm tournaments.

As its stand now, an arbiter who use a FIDE endorsed software has to manually enter the tournament is SwissSyss or SwissAssistant which is a great loss of time. Furthermore, this process is error prone.

Hal Bond presented a recommendation from the TDOCP that the CFC explore the option of adopting Swiss Manager as the national rating software. The cost, especially in relation to the previous adoption of SwissSys, was raised as the primary concern, though it was also suggested that the exact benefits to arbiters and the office might be better articulated. Ultimately, it was discovered that a demo version of Swiss Manager is freely available and interested parties are encouraged to evaluate it, reporting back to the TDOCP Chair (halbond@sympatico.ca) with any thoughts/recommendations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12