Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8. Swiss Manager (Hal as TDOCP Chair)

Default 8. Swiss Manager (Hal as TDOCP Chair)

This section is reserved for Hal Bond as Chair of the CFC's Tournament Director and Organizer Certification Program. This program has been going on for 25+ years but has usually had a fairly low profile.

Default Swiss Manager

Dear Governors;

The TDOCP would like to evaluate Swiss Manager, with the hope of adopting it as our national rating software. This program is very popular in Europe, and more reliable than Swissys.

The quote I received last year from Swiss Manager was 200 Euros (one time) for the Master licence and 350 Euros per year for an annual licence. The other cost to the CFC would be an interface with our own database, in order to upload the tournaments. The owner, Heinz Herzog, also expressed an interest in running our rating system, which he does for a number of countries.

Chess-results.com is the server where Swiss Manager events are stored. I find the output generated by Chess Results quite useful.

What we need then, is permission to purchase a master licence for evaluation purposes. A number of Organizers and Arbiters would test drive it and report back with recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    The quote I received last year from Swiss Manager was 200 Euros (one time) for the Master licence and 350 Euros per year for an annual licence.
    How much are other costs? Like Would TDs need to purchase a license to use for a tournament or series of tournaments?

Could you compare financial side to a current cost of SwissSys?
    .*-1

This is a great idea because SwissSys pairing are not always good.

Can the software handle half-point byes in a graceful manner? Since they are not legal under FIDE rules, there is no requirement that a FIDE endorsed pairing software support them.

But the price is quite high for individual arbiters. For CFC rated tournaments that are organised by the FQE, the arbiter must own a legal licence to the pairing software.

We should try to get a rebate for CFC Certified arbiters. Furthermore, that would be en incentive to get certified by the CFC.

Blog Entries

Pierre I thought it was apparent that we would be looking at actually replacing our nationwide license of Swisssys with one of Swiss Manager.

If that is not the case then I'm not sure it's such a great idea.

In any case a simple data-conversion program should be possible in the meantime to allow the CFC office to accept Swiss Manager files and convert them into SwissSys files.

Also, it's not just about finances. What are the benefits for the arbiters and for the office of a switchover?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Pierre I thought it was apparent that we would be looking at actually replacing our nationwide license of Swisssys with one of Swiss Manager.

If that is not the case then I'm not sure it's such a great idea.

In any case a simple data-conversion program should be possible in the meantime to allow the CFC office to accept Swiss Manager files and convert them into SwissSys files.

Also, it's not just about finances. What are the benefits for the arbiters and for the office of a switchover?
    The finances have to work for this to happen.

I see the main benefits to revolve around those arbiters that run CFC/FIDE events.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I see the main benefits to revolve around those arbiters that run CFC/FIDE events.
    Yes I figured as much, but I wouldn't mind seeing them itemized rather than "It's a better program"
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default Swiss Sys and CFC Operations

The CFC rating system is programmed to process Swiss sys files.

There was considerable effort spend on getting this done. Can we get some idea of how much the switch is going to cost?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Second this opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    The CFC rating system is programmed to process Swiss sys files.

There was considerable effort spend on getting this done. Can we get some idea of how much the switch is going to cost?
    I second this opinion!
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Is there a demo copy somewhere (say for doing up to 3 rounds or 10 players) that one could download for review?

Obviously there's a right cost and a wrong cost and equally obviously Governors should want all the info before deciding!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast