Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Junior Chess and the " Residency " Restriction

Blog Entries

Excellent post Michael! You have definitely shown how well Youth chess is doing! So why do we need to change the rules if they're working so well???
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Hi Chris:

Always room for improvement .........and respecting equality??

Bob A

Unhappy CFC's Failing Grade

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    The CFC Executive can't do whatever they want - they must follow CFC rules.

Let me remind you some facts for the last 2 years when I was the CFC Youth Coordinator:
    ~~~~~~~~
    I am surprised that a previous Youth Coordinator, and fide rep too i believe would be so unfamiliar with the CFC and fide rules. You say you have to follow the rules but you have not been doing so in this matter, have you? In fact you give the appearance of trying to do what you want in spite of the rule book. You even argued that the rules weren't so. Now that they are obvious and inescapable you propose to change them to suite your current actions. I'm just saying that's how it looks.
    ~~~~~~~~
    If the facts mentioned above mean for you "the CFC continues to score failing grades", indeed we are looking at two totally different pictures...
    Yes Michael, we are indeed looking at two very different pictures.

You fail to mention that Canada had more participants at the 2007 NAYCC, before you became Youth Coordinator. Attendance at the CYCC also dropped in 2009, the year you took over.

In fact I fought hard with YOU in 2009 to send a full contingent of 36 players to WYCC and YOU refused to allow them to go, arguing that they weren't worthy. So you sent 21 and 23 players when you could have sent a lot more. To claim now that Patrick sending 40 players this year is proof of progress is hazardous. Some might say that the progress came by replacing you with Patrick.

I am surprised that you did not take credit for the Canadian World Champion, Jason Cao. He developed in the BC program despite CFC, not because of it.

The NAYCC held in Canada was done by Larry and CMA, not CFC. So yes CMA is doing very well. CFC is still failing.

The one success of the CFC is the attendance at the 2011 CYCC. Next year will determine if this is actual CFC progress, or a tribute to the 2011 organizers and local participation. Like any scientific test the results must be duplicated before claims are made. If the numbers repeat at the next CYCC I will happily proclaim CFC improvement. let's wait and see.

What is the CFC doing to promote junior chess? They have eliminated the junior membership, they complain about junior ratings and tried to raise the rating fee to $5. They offer no support to local organizers. They do nothing to appeal to juniors and everything to chase them away. There is no schools program, nor efforts to introduce kids to chess. We do things differently here in BC.

CMA owes much of it's success to the CFC's mishandling of junior chess. Ask yourself why CMA chess is thriving everywhere that CFC is not? If, after all this the CFC decides to pat itself on the back for a job well done what can I say? They deserve the results they get, and CFC junior chess is doomed to never be better than CMA.

Ken Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jensen View Post
    We do things differently here in BC.
    "... ask not what CFC can do for you - ask what you can do for CFC"
    Are we looking for "whom to blame" or for "what to do"? Ken, if indeed things are done differently and with success in BC, it is you opportunity to share with us your secret and, maybe, to lead CFC to the brighter future.

BTW, may I take some credit for Jason Cao?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Birarov View Post
    "... ask not what CFC can do for you - ask what you can do for CFC"
    Are we looking for "whom to blame" or for "what to do"? Ken, if indeed things are done differently and with success in BC, it is you opportunity to share with us your secret and, maybe, to lead CFC to the brighter future.

BTW, may I take some credit for Jason Cao?
    Hi Ken,

Excellent post. Now all the facts are on the table and let general CFC community be a judge.

Hi Vlad,

Are you referring to 2011 CYCC success???

Quote:"... ask not what CFC can do for you - ask what you can do for CFC"
    As I recall, some parents who organized, asked the same question when they succeeded by braking CYCC attendance record!

And what did they get in return from the CFC and its executives from their amazing efforts, during and after AGM meeting???

- personal attacks and no apologies
    - no public thank you
    - CFC chasing top and talented juniors away, instead of encouraging them by participating in World events

the list can go and on.........

BTW, I thought Jason Cao issue was a sealed deal by CFC!

Curiosity is lying in wait for every secret, but some secrets meant not to be revealed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jensen View Post
    CMA owes much of it's success to the CFC's mishandling of junior chess. Ask yourself why CMA chess is thriving everywhere that CFC is not?
    The CFC does not lose when the CMA succeeds. From my point of view the local CMA organizers are the same as the local CFC organizers. My own efforts are not CFC nor CMA oriented, I am trying to help the kids realize their potential as chess players. Whether they take those efforts and then express their talent in CMA or CFC events, either way I am happy when they succeed.

If, after all this the CFC decides to pat itself on the back for a job well done what can I say? They deserve the results they get, and CFC junior chess is doomed to never be better than CMA.

Ken Jensen
    CFC junior chess should stick with trying to be good rather than "better than CMA". The CFC and CMA are vehicles that should be pulling in the same direction and for the most part they are. All chess activity is good from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail Egorov View Post
    Hi Vlad,Are you referring to 2011 CYCC success???
    I'm not referring to anything - it just felt good to rephrase JFK.

BTW, I thought Jason Cao issue was a sealed deal by CFC!
    What "Jason Cao issue"?

Curiosity is lying in wait for every secret, but some secrets meant not to be revealed
    Hopefully it's not the case here.

And what did they get in return from the CFC and its executives from their amazing efforts, during and after AGM meeting???

- personal attacks and no apologies
    - no public thank you
    Actually Mikhail, I have on several occasions thanked the CYCC organizers and volunteers for their efforts. They put on a great show. The kids loved it, and a record number are going to the WYCC as a result. Running a CYCC is no small task, and we appreciate their efforts and sacrifices to see the job through.

No doubt, the task was made even harder due to friction amongst the organizing committee. Also, more pressure was heaped upon them due to the new qualification system and disagreements about prize distribution. But they fought through the difficulties and produced a wonderful tournament, a great success that many of the kids will remember for years. So again, a big thank you to all the organizers and volunteers of the 2011 CYCC on behalf of the CFC executive.

Mikhail, as for personal attacks, I am not aware of any personal attacks from the CFC executive. Disagreements and differences of opinion, do not IMHO, constitute personal attacks. If you disagree, please forward evidence to me in a personal email.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Actually Mikhail, I have on several occasions thanked the CYCC organizers and volunteers for their efforts. They put on a great show. The kids loved it, and a record number are going to the WYCC as a result. Running a CYCC is no small task, and we appreciate their efforts and sacrifices to see the job through.

No doubt, the task was made even harder due to friction amongst the organizing committee. Also, more pressure was heaped upon them due to the new qualification system and disagreements about prize distribution. But they fought through the difficulties and produced a wonderful tournament, a great success that many of the kids will remember for years. So again, a big thank you to all the organizers and volunteers of the 2011 CYCC on behalf of the CFC executive.

Mikhail, as for personal attacks, I am not aware of any personal attacks from the CFC executive. Disagreements and differences of opinion, do not IMHO, constitute personal attacks. If you disagree, please forward evidence to me in a personal email.
    Hi Bob,

It is very nice of you to take your personal time of your busy schedule and join this very important discussion.

I apologize for not stating the correct titles. Forgive me for not being correct, since I do not work in CFC office and do not know all the formalities. I do apologize for that!

As for personal attacks there was a personal attack on one of the CYCC organizers, from ‘CFC governor’ and not ‘CFC executive’ . It is publicly stated by 'CFC governor' Michael Barron.

I do recall that Michael Barron was Youth coordinator at that time and you were CFC President.

If you feel this changes a lot , and does not concern you NOW, I do understand!
    Last edited by Mikhail Egorov; 09-27-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Forgive me for not being correct,
    Hmm...okay!
    Although your selection of emoticons is...

I just wish we could all get past this bickering!
    Group hug anyone!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast