Thread: International News today - Aug 22, 2011

Blog Entries

Default International News today - Aug 22, 2011

Canadian players were busy in the US over the past weekend......

The 1st Metropolitan (LA) International ended up being a cake walk for GM Michael Adams (ENG), who finished the 9 round event with 7.5/9 points. Among the 6 players tied for 2nd with 6.5 were GM Loek Van Wely (NED) and Canadian Open Co-Champion, GM Dejan Bojkov (BUL). IM Jonathan Tayar led the Canadian contingent with 5 and was followed by IM Leon Piasetski, FM Richard Wang, and FM Dale Haessel all with 4.5.

At the other end of the country, the Manhatten Open finished in a tie for 1st between IM Vladimir Romanenko (BLR) and American GM Alexander Shabalov. Romanenko took the title on tie break and earned his final GM norm. Among those finishing a half point back with 6.5 was Canadian IM Zhe Quan. He had a fantastic final day defeating IM Irina Krush and GM Joel Benjamin. FM Louie Juang had a good event finishing with 5.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    ... Manhatten Open ...
    Manhattan.

China dominated the chess section of the 26th Universiade (Olympic-style games for those attending University). Canada did pretty well, competing in several sports, taking the Silver in Men's Basketball, and 4th place in Men's Volleyball. No Canadians competed in chess. Were the CFC (or any Canadian chess people) approached to take part?
    JMS+ 1 p1.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    Manhattan.

China dominated the chess section of the 26th Universiade (Olympic-style games for those attending University). Canada did pretty well, competing in several sports, taking the Silver in Men's Basketball, and 4th place in Men's Volleyball. No Canadians competed in chess. Were the CFC (or any Canadian chess people) approached to take part?
    I know we received an invitation in 2010 and I think Raja Panjwani participated, but I didn't hear anything this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I know we received an invitation in 2010 and I think Raja Panjwani participated, but I didn't hear anything this time.
    Sources such as chessdom and Susan Polgar's blog state that chess was included for the first time as a sport with the 2011 Universiade in Shenzhen, China. Raja did compete in the: 11th World University Chess Championship (FIDE standings) at Zurich in November 2010.
    JMS+ 1 p1.