Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Canadian Open

Default 2012 Canadian Open

Congratulations to the Victoria Chess Club, on their recently being awarded the rights to host the 2012 Canadian Open. Details to follow!

Thumbs up The 2012 Canadian Open at Hotel Grand Pacific - July 8 to 13, 2012

Bid was ACCEPTED yesterday for the 2012 Canadian Open
    Victoria Chess is pleased to submit the following bid for the 2012 Canadian Open. The bid is for the event to take place in the Hotel Grand Pacific, a 4 star venue located in Victoria's Inner harbour within comfortable walking distance of many of Victoria's attractions and the site of the successful Grand Pacific Open, now in it's 6th year. The organizing committee is experienced and our TD, Mark S. Dutton I.A. should be familiar to you all.
    The tournament itself is 9 rounds over 6 days: Sunday to Friday. This non traditional structure is necessary for a high season tournament in Victoria due to high demand for Saturday ballroom nights. The early days are double rounds and the AGM is scheduled on single game days. The event will close out with a banquet.
    It is our understanding that BC Junior Chess (aka Ken Jensen) will be submitting a bid for the 2012 CYCC in Vancouver. If this does not occur, Victoria Junior Chess will submit a bid for the CYCC.
    Organizing Committee: Victoria Chess: aka Paul Leblanc, Roger Patterson, Brian Raymer
    Some of the Committee's Previous Experience:
    Grand Pacific Open 2006-2011
    Keres Memorial 2010, 2011
    CYCC 2005, 2009
    Canadian Chess Challenge 2011
    Ontario Closed, BC Closed, Canadian Junior
    Venue: The Hotel Grand Pacific, a four star hotel located in the heart of Victoria's Inner Harbour, next to the waterfront, BC Legislature, and across the street from US ferry connections.
    Tournament Dates: Sunday July 8 to Friday July 13 with 9 rounds
    Format: 9 round Swiss in 3 sections: Premier, U2000, U1600
    Time Control: Game/120 with 30 sec. increment.
    Round Times: Sunday July 8 at 11:00am and 6:00pm, Monday July 9 at 11:00am and 6:00pm, Tuesday July 10 at 11:00am and 6:00pm, Wednesday July 11 at 6:00pm, Thursday July 12 at 6:00pm, Friday July 13 at 10:00am
    Rated By: CFC all sections, FIDE Premier Section
    Equipment Provided: All chess equipment provided (boards, sets, clocks). Broadcast games a combination of DGT and MonRoi.
    Prize Fund: $15,000 Guaranteed
    Entry Fees: Early $175 , Regular $195, At the door $215; Play up a Section: $20 per section.
    Head Arbiter: Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
    Accommodation: Hotel Grand Pacific $139/night single/double Children under 18 stay free in same room with parent / guardian.
    Side Events: Closing Banquet (Friday), Blitz tournament, Bughouse tournament + TBD
    AGM: Wed: July 11 and Thursday July 12; 9:00am-5:00pm

Other: Round 1 games with the marquee players will be sold for fundraising. Prices TBD.

Website and registration -- to be announced shortly.

It was awarded by the executive who refused to allow the Governors to vote on the bid.

Lightbulb Only 1 bid to review and the Executive voted to accept the bid from Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    It was awarded by the executive who refused to allow the Governors to vote on the bid.
    Sorry Ken -- but this is not an accurate statement.

It was not necessary to "allow" the Governors vote according to the ruling of the President who informed ALL governors with his decision in accordance with the CFC Handbook. You know this, because you were included in the list of recipients on Monday.

To: bator.sambuev@gmail.com ; chessbc@shaw.ca ; denommee@cooptel.qc.ca ; eric.hansen7@gmail.com ; hugh_brodie@hotmail.com ; kcraft@unbsj.ca ; vdemian@shaw.ca ; Fred McKim ; Lyle Craver ; Mark S. Dutton ; Micah Hughey ; Paul Leblanc ; Rick Pedersen ; Simon Ong ; cabanas@finee.com ; davidfl321@yahoo.ca ; halldor.palsson@bc-cb.gc.ca ; nikolay28@hotmail.com ; pacey47@sympatico.ca ; philghaley@rogers.com ; pstockhausen@gmail.com ; scopepub@shaw.ca ; yvesmfarges@hotmail.com ; Aris Marghetis ; Bob Armstrong ; Brian Fiedler ; Chris Field ; Christopher Mallon ; Egidijus Zeromskis ; ellen nadeau ; Eric van Dusen ; GORDON RITCHIE ; Hal Bond ; Ilia Bluvshtein ; Iulia Lacau-Rodean ; Les Bunning ; Mapleleaf ; Maurice Smith ; Michael Barron ; Nathan Divinsky ; Patrick S. McDonald ; Rob Clark ; Robert Gillanders ; Robert Laszlo ; Stuart Brammall ; Vladimir Birarov ; Vladimir Drkulec
    Sent: Monday, July 18, 2011 7:04 PM
    Subject: 2012 CYCC/CO Bids

"Hello CFC Governors,

A matter deferred at this year's AGM was that of approving bids for the 2012 Canadian Open and 2012 CYCC. Originally, a group from Toronto had submitted a statement of intent, which has since been withdrawn. As such, there is only one bid on the table for each event, respectively, both of which are attached.

The CFC Executive has taken the perspective that Section 944 of the Handbook applies in this case, as Toronto never had a formal bid in place for either event. There has been some dissent on this matter, which has been noted, but the executive will proceed according to our ruling.

Best wishes,

Michael von Keitz
    President, Chess Federation of Canada

Canadian Open Bid Requirement .. from the CFC Handbook

Uncontested Bids for National Tournaments

944. If the published deadline for bids has passed, the CFC Executive is empowered to award all national tournaments unless there are two or more conflicting bids. [see Motion 80-20; GL, June 1980, p. 125]

------------------------------------------------------------------

After all Governors received this ruling, the Executive reviewed the one and only bid and voting was done and the bid was accepted. All votes received by the President were to support and accept the one and only bid from Victoria. For the record, I abstained to avoid any conflict of interest, as I will be the Chief Arbiter at the 2012 Canadian Open in Victoria.

I trust that this is clear to you and others who are not familiar who the Chess Federation of Canada Handbook -- read the relevant guidelines and requirements at this link: http://chess.ca/section-9

I read the relevant guidelines, Mark. We disagree on what they mean. My statement was accurate. The President's ruling was incorrect and a bad way to establish relations with the Governors early in his mandate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    I read the relevant guidelines, Mark. We disagree on what they mean. My statement was accurate. The President's ruling was incorrect and a bad way to establish relations with the Governors early in his mandate.
    Perhaps you can explain why you disagree on what the guidelines mean? A critical point seems to be whether or not there were competing bids (and if so, once the intent was withdrawn, whether or not that reduces the bids to 1).

The biggest issue I have with the 2012 plan is the 2-games a day arrangement - I think that will result in fewer GMs interested in the tournament, but I guess time will tell. It certainly seems that Mark Bluvshtein doesn't enjoy 2 games a day, but even that may not be a dealbreaker for him or other GMs?

Here is the argument I made in the Governors Forum, Kerry.

"This executive is a week old and its already arrogating to itself decisions that are rightly the Governors. The Governors postponed the decision based on the belief of having two bids. If there had been only one bid at the AGM the Governors would have held a "yes/no" vote on the bid. It is clear that the Governors have the right to this vote. Why is the executive unwilling to put these single bids to a vote of the Governors?

Competing Bids

945. In all cases where competing bids are presented at an annual meeting, for an event to be held 10 months or more from the date of the annual meeting;

a) such bids shall not be voted on at an annual meeting

b) such bids shall be sent out for vote with the next following Governor's letter

c) such bids shall be discussed at the annual meeting and any Governor present at the annual meeting may provide comments on the bid for transmission with the motion covering the bid. [see Motion 83-19; GL, November 1982, p. 2-5] "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Ken Craft; 07-19-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Question

The President has been asked directly (post existing on the Governors forum) why the Executives have voted on the CO 2012 bid without consultation with the Governors. No answer has been provided as of right now (roughly 24 hours later)!

I am kind of getting tired to hear over and over again about governors this and governors that, while those participating actively are simply ignored like they do not exist. Not a very good start for the new team if you ask me...

Arrow Q & A -- no bid from Toronto. Only Bid from Victoria BC was approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    The President has been asked directly (post existing on the Governors forum) why the Executives have voted on the CO 2012 bid without consultation with the Governors. No answer has been provided as of right now (roughly 24 hours later)!

I am kind of getting tired to hear over and over again about governors this and governors that, while those participating actively are simply ignored like they do not exist. Not a very good start for the new team if you ask me...
    Hello Valer:

Your question was answered by an email sent to all governors on Monday.

I also answered your question and that of Mr. Ken Craft here on this board 2 days ago.

The "Toronto" non-bid was withdrawn by David Cohen and Ted Winnick.

There is only one bid. The president followed the rules of the handbook and the newly elected Executive decided (apparently no Exec was against this) to approve the one and only bid. Not quite sure of the lack of comprehension of the facts, but the "issue" is resolved. It was not ever intended to be "bad relations" with governors -- it was an efficient and correct way to deal with the one and only bid the CFC had received. The bid had an expiry date and now the organizers in Victoria can sign their contracts with the hotel and sponsors.

Not sure why is necessary to keep going in circles on this. Your questions have been answered. Sorry if you don't like the answers.

Sincere best regards,

Mark S. Dutton, I.A.
    CFC Executive Vice President

I was at the AGM and it was quite clear to me that there was only one bid. David Cohen and Ted Winnick attended and made a surprise announcement that they "intended" to submit a bid for the 2012 Canadian Open. There were no details provided to the governors present, only a verbal statement of intention. The next day, they decided not to submit a bid. The Victoria bid was submitted to the Executive in writing with all the pertinent details and the assembled governors received a presentation by Roger Patterson and myself. Therefore, there was only one bid.
    Regarding the two games per day (for the first 3 days only), 3 of the GM's approached me at the banquet in Toronto with expressions of interest in next year's CO, regardless of the schedule. I spoke with many people at the 2011 CO on this issue and I would say half of the players actually preferred a 6 day schedule to save on hotel costs. BTW, we did not set out to produce a 6day event, we were forced into it by hotel availability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast