Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 CYCC Financial Report

Blog Entries

Post Situation

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    The SwissSys files sent to CFC office identify the new players but it is not interactive with the rating program. Before rating the tournament, a new player profile needs to be created in the CFC rating program and a cfc number assigned. (not a membership per se, but the program needs an id number). This only takes maybe 30 seconds per player, enter name, address, email, date of birth, but if you have 50 new players, well...it takes a few minutes.
    In this case I would contact SwissSys right away to ask for their expertise. It makes absolutely no sense to have the same information entered twice in the program. It (the program) should be capable to identify the fact the original TD has entered one or more new players and add them to the database immediately. Any decent database program in the industry does this...

Could someone from the CFC office do the above suggestion? If not, could I be given a contact information (real person who would do something about it) from SwissSys and I will follow it up?
    Thank you in advance!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    In this case I would contact SwissSys right away to ask for their expertise. It makes absolutely no sense to have the same information entered twice in the program. It (the program) should be capable to identify the fact the original TD has entered one or more new players and add them to the database immediately. Any decent database program in the industry does this...

Could someone from the CFC office do the above suggestion? If not, could I be given a contact information (real person who would do something about it) from SwissSys and I will follow it up?
    Thank you in advance!
    I think the only information SwissSys has is the player's name. All of the other player's information is probably on a spreadsheet or word file.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think the only information SwissSys has is the player's name. All of the other player's information is probably on a spreadsheet or word file.
    No no Fred. All the information that TD's enter into SwissSys files is there when it gets to the office. But it does require the office to type it manually into the CFC program. But in reality, most TD's send in this information in an email or spreadsheet. Either way is fine.

Valer makes a good suggestion, in that it would be beneficial to have the info upload automatically. Save a few minutes. To maximize that benefit however, then we would have to insist TD's actually enter the data into SwissSys.

Valer - can we put your suggestion on the "to do list" for technical improvements? "All our operators are currently busy"

In fact, we have a list of items started for "phase 2" website improvements. We can add this item to that list as we would want website guys at least consulted? Right now, all the boys are busy making sure all the loose ends are wrapped up with "phase 1".

Default SwissSys to create player profiles

I could talk to Thad (creator of SwissSys) ... I often deal with him on SwissSys matters ...

BUT ...this is a dangerous slope ... IF we have TD's enter all the information, AND they enter all the info correctly, we will still run the risk that they in fact missed that a player already exists in the database, creating a duplicate profile .. affecting ratings etc.

No, Junior players do not have to pay membership fees currently (in order to rate a completely junior tournament) but the profile has to be created.

The question to ask is: IF a TD makes a mistake and creates a duplicate profile and the rating is done on this, how much work is it to actually undo and correct this mistake after the fact.

Sure, in most cases, there will not be mistakes, but we need to know what it takes to correct on those occasions where mistakes are made.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Blog Entries

Default Duplicate entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
    I could talk to Thad (creator of SwissSys) ... I often deal with him on SwissSys matters ...

BUT ...this is a dangerous slope ... IF we have TD's enter all the information, AND they enter all the info correctly, we will still run the risk that they in fact missed that a player already exists in the database, creating a duplicate profile .. affecting ratings etc.

No, Junior players do not have to pay membership fees currently (in order to rate a completely junior tournament) but the profile has to be created.

The question to ask is: IF a TD makes a mistake and creates a duplicate profile and the rating is done on this, how much work is it to actually undo and correct this mistake after the fact.

Sure, in most cases, there will not be mistakes, but we need to know what it takes to correct on those occasions where mistakes are made.
    Hi Patrick,

Every time a TD like me prepares a tournament result in SwissSys, we always upload the latest players list from the CFC website (as per the guidelines). I would think this eliminates most of the time duplicates since when you enter a name for the first time, similar ones from the database are offered to you as options. If you do not select them, it is a new entry.

For Fred: when I enter a new player in SwissSys I also enter their address, DOB and other related info. This is the least I can do to save Gerry time!

Default Duplicate entries

Yes, most of us do our best to pick up the correct person in the database ... but mistakes can happen ...

Once you put more people of differing levels of expertise into the mix, the chances of errors or omissions greatly increases.

So, again, what would be the cost or how difficult or how much time would it take to rectify these honest mistakes?

Thanks,
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
    Yes, most of us do our best to pick up the correct person in the database ... but mistakes can happen ...

Once you put more people of differing levels of expertise into the mix, the chances of errors or omissions greatly increases.

So, again, what would be the cost or how difficult or how much time would it take to rectify these honest mistakes?

Thanks,
    Thanks Patrick. When I took over a ED back in 2008, I began getting numerous complaints about duplicate player profiles. Some of these had been in the system for a year or more. Also, two players with the same name, and the wrong one was chosen. These errors do occur, more frequently than they should. It is a tedious exercise to correct.

I don't have any stats on the problem, but I fear it could get worse under a "fully automated" system with no oversight as some would like.

Blog Entries

I don't have any stats on the problem, but I fear it could get worse under a "fully automated" system with no oversight as some would like.
    Show me one person, ever, who has asked for or said they would like a "fully automated" system with no oversight.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Show me one person, ever, who has asked for or said they would like a "fully automated" system with no oversight.
    You did!
    Check your post in the governors forum. I asked Egis if he really expected a fully automated system would reduce the ED's time to zero.
    You responded with a resounding Yes.

Blog Entries

You did!
    Check your post in the governors forum. I asked Egis if he really expected a fully automated system would reduce the ED's time to zero.
    You responded with a resounding Yes.
    Oh my god. Did you even read my whole post, or did you stop at the first word?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast