Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2011 CYCC Financial Report

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Oh my god. Did you even read my whole post, or did you stop at the first word?
    OMG, Yes I did.

Your first sentence says the ED's time is reduced to zero. The balance of your post then went on to describe various duties of the ED under your "fully automated" system. I had some problem following your logic.

If you are now saying that the rating system does require some human oversight even in a "fully automated" system, then I am pleased that we are in full agreement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    OMG, Yes I did.

Your first sentence says the ED's time is reduced to zero. The balance of your post then went on to describe various duties of the ED under your "fully automated" system. I had some problem following your logic.

If you are now saying that the rating system does require some human oversight even in a "fully automated" system, then I am pleased that we are in full agreement.
    Well I didn't see you asking for clarification in that thread!

A properly automated system should be able to catch at least some of the "duplicate or same-name" type errors. It would also be able to backtrack and rerate any events in order should a correction be made at a later time.

Really the only reason to even require the ED or someone else to click "approve" on events is that having a human "in charge" makes people more comfortable.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    the only reason to even require the ED or someone else to click "approve" on events is that having a human "in charge" makes people more comfortable.
    You are clearly more comfortable with automated systems than myself.
    Me, I still think we need actual human beings in charge.

Default Other rating costs

When we look at the cost of ratings there are other considerations. Our agreement with Swissys cost $5000 up front, plus whatever staff time was involved. We also incur costs whenever there is a change to the code or to alter the database.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    You are clearly more comfortable with automated systems than myself.
    Me, I still think we need actual human beings in charge.
    I'd love to have a discussion with you sometime on why exactly that is.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123