Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Presidential Debate: Olympics

That's correct. The fundraising did not cover the expenses.

Thank you to Candidates for answers.
    .*-1

Default Fundraising shortfall?

I suppose it depends on your perspective. $4000 was budgeted to support the Olympic Teams. The CFC actually contributed less than half this amount in the end.

So saying, the last 2 Olympic Fundraising drives have been nail biters, and would have fallen well short without some large donations. The donations need to be acknowledged better, with some inducements for certain levels of support, as Larry B suggested.

I took over the 2010 drive late, when no one else would, and agreed to do it again this time round in absence of another volunteer. (I believe this happened at the last online meeting) I am hopeful that the Olympic Waive tournaments will be more popular this time out. I believe they are a good way to recruit new members in addition to raising funds. These events do rely on organizers volunteering their time.

If other individuals are interested in becoming involved in the 2012 campaign I am all ears! I am looking forward to seeing an awesome national team in action. The Women's team is a slight concern frankly, since our top players are not currently active.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    I suppose it depends on your perspective. $4000 was budgeted to support the Olympic Teams. The CFC actually contributed less than half this amount in the end.

So saying, the last 2 Olympic Fundraising drives have been nail biters, and would have fallen well short without some large donations. The donations need to be acknowledged better, with some inducements for certain levels of support, as Larry B suggested.

I took over the 2010 drive late, when no one else would, and agreed to do it again this time round in absence of another volunteer. (I believe this happened at the last online meeting) I am hopeful that the Olympic Waive tournaments will be more popular this time out. I believe they are a good way to recruit new members in addition to raising funds. These events do rely on organizers volunteering their time.

If other individuals are interested in becoming involved in the 2012 campaign I am all ears! I am looking forward to seeing an awesome national team in action. The Women's team is a slight concern frankly, since our top players are not currently active.
    Inactivity of the top players should be a Major concern because sending the B- or C- team because the top players don't even qualify has to make getting donations pretty much impossible.

Perhaps many of the potential team members are going to play in the Canadian Open and "cram" all or most of their qualification into one tournament - I guess that satisfies the letter of the regulations...

Blog Entries

That's why the requirement should be 20 games with 10 in Canada. That's 3 major or 4 minor events.

... I am hopeful that the Olympic Waive tournaments will be more popular this time out. I believe they are a good way to recruit new members in addition to raising funds. These events do rely on organizers volunteering their time.

I'll plug our Olympiad fundraiser here: Sept. 17 in Victoria. http://victoriachessclub.pbworks.com...ess-Fundraiser

It's not too early to start organizing Olympic Waive events. :-)

Although we don't participate in the Olympic Waive program, preferring our own cost format, I agree that these tournaments (and low cost active tournaments in general) are a good way to slowly introduce new people to tournament chess.

I read about your event Roger. Awesome!! Thankyou for pitching in.

I read about your event Roger. Awesome!! Thankyou for pitching in.
    maybe you can get the olympiad thermometer updated to reflect the new fundraising season. I know of at least one donation that should be listed.

(and while I'm on the topic - perhaps the description of the CFC as having charitable tax status should be changed as well)>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    Inactivity of the top players should be a Major concern because sending the B- or C- team because the top players don't even qualify has to make getting donations pretty much impossible.

Perhaps many of the potential team members are going to play in the Canadian Open and "cram" all or most of their qualification into one tournament - I guess that satisfies the letter of the regulations...
    Several of the candidates for the women's team are at the CYCC and others along with the younger ones at the CYCC are going to be at the Canadian Open as well. There is lots of time to get in the required number of games.

Blog Entries

Post Agreement

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Several of the candidates for the women's team are at the CYCC and others along with the younger ones at the CYCC are going to be at the Canadian Open as well. There is lots of time to get in the required number of games.
    This is very true. Traditionally the younger women have always played nationally (CYCC, Canadian Open) to support chess locally. I would not be concerned about this aspect at all; however I would be concerned about the type of decisions we might come up with and upset a younger generation which gives more back to CFC than all older generations of players!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12