Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other CFC Executive Candidates?

I can see no such rule in the handbook. It is the ethics Committee decisions that can be appealed to the Executive. The Executive has a very broad power to intervene in all case not clearly covered by the rules in national Championships. The CFC Board of Directors shall rule on any situation not covered by these regulations and shall have the authority to rule on any matter which is in dispute. It depends how we interpret matters in which there is a dispute. After an Arbiter decision, a local Appeal Committee decision and an NAC decision, I do not consider that there is a dispute. Disputes arising from protest on a decision of the Arbiter should be dealt by experienced Arbiters, not by the Executive.

I do not see the Executive as a final venue for Appeal except in exceptional cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    is it appropriate for the President to be on the NAC, considering that they lead the Executive which is the final avenue for appeal ABOVE the NAC?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    I do not see the Executive as a final venue for Appeal except in exceptional cases.
    Except that it HAS happened - at least twice that I know about - and could happen again.

Default I will stand again as FIDE Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Are the incumbents going to interact with members on the CFC site and Chesstalk this year if re-elected? Will they also be interacting more with Governors on the Governors site this year? Frankly, it appears that Fred and Bob were the only two executive members who regularly interacted with the membership on the discussion boards this year.
    It is difficult to find more time Ken. As FIDE Rep I average about 20 hours per week with FIDE issues (including how the heck will I afford my next FIDE trip) as well as participate in CONSTANT Executive discussions.

I don't know how Bob Gillanders has found the stamina - but he has been an excellent President. Yet too many people keep asking for more more more.

Okay, that accounts for you, Hal. That still leaves other executive members who are not regularly interacting with the Governors and membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    It is difficult to find more time Ken. As FIDE Rep I average about 20 hours per week with FIDE issues (including how the heck will I afford my next FIDE trip) as well as participate in CONSTANT Executive discussions.

I don't know how Bob Gillanders has found the stamina - but he has been an excellent President. Yet too many people keep asking for more more more.
    In a nutshell, this is the problem the CFC has. A few volunteers who put in a enormous amount of time (perhaps a lot of that time is wasted on administrivia or politics, but it is time spent nevertheless) - and STILL there are people pounding the drums looking for more...

The current Executive deserve a lot of praise for the work they have done. Not everyone will agree with every detail but I believe they have done an outstanding job in very difficult times. I would bet that if you polled all of the Executive, they would all agree that underestimating the time commitment was the biggest surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I would bet that if you polled all of the Executive, they would all agree that underestimating the time commitment was the biggest surprise...
    They are not freshmen in Exec positions.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

I see both sides of this argument, having BEEN on both sides.

Really though... you have two Exec members - the President and the Treasurer - posting regularly. Is that not enough? From a member's point of view those are probably the two most important to be communicating with regularly in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    In a nutshell, this is the problem the CFC has. A few volunteers who put in a enormous amount of time (perhaps a lot of that time is wasted on administrivia or politics, but it is time spent nevertheless) - and STILL there are people pounding the drums looking for more...

The current Executive deserve a lot of praise for the work they have done. Not everyone will agree with every detail but I believe they have done an outstanding job in very difficult times. I would bet that if you polled all of the Executive, they would all agree that underestimating the time commitment was the biggest surprise...
    Thank you Kerry. You hit the nail on the head. I certainly did underestimate the time commitment.
    Oh well, you do what you can.

Thankfully, I got a lot of help from the executive, and many other good people as well.
    What we don't need are more arguments about who is the bigger volunteer.

I have regular communications with Fred McKim, Lyle Craver, Mark Dutton and Bob Gillanders. I believe they are all doing a fine job. I will be sorry to see Bob stand down.

This could have disastrous fiscal implication. According to a famous Quebec Superior Court ruling, arbiters are not employees because the Federations cannot revise their decisions. The Federations gives arbiter seminars, promote, demote and discipline arbiters but they have no authority on the ice (the case was about hockey referees asking for their vacation pay as employee). Having the executive revise NAC decisions could result in arbiters being considered employees of the CFC or of the Organizer and that would be fiscally disastrous.

I am curious about the two cases that you are referring to. Could you please send me the details in private?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Except that it HAS happened - at least twice that I know about - and could happen again.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 07-07-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast