Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Candidate for CFC President

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Yes, Vlad, my priority is ensuring that someone else in Canada becomes the most active player for the year.

Seriously though, I want to be able to run this pilot project and see where that takes us. Roger and John have made some good points, but I don't see what's preventing us from testing things out on a few willing subjects and going from there. As for my harping on about the DSB's website, just for a sample of what I'm talking about: http://schachbund.de/dwz/db/verein.html?zps=51025. That information is easy to categorize and disseminate, provided clubs are willing to submit their membership lists. I really believe that having that information available in one place, at the click of a button, has value-added.
    I don't understand why you need to restructure the membership paying structure just to promote clubs. Chess is larger than clubs.

Is it value-added? Firstly, you need to establish that there actually are many people going to the CFC website to find a chess club. Newcomers to Toronto can google chess and Toronto and the active clubs mostly have their own easy to find websites.

Secondly, the CFC club listing webpage can be vastly improved by adding photos, maps, calendars and data such as a list of club members in CFC rating order. This can be presently done through cooperation of the CFC and the clubs. This would help separate the big clubs who hold CFC-rated tournaments and casual clubs. Some kind of national inter-club rivalry would be welcomed.

And how will you include chess teachers and schools?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Yes, Vlad, my priority is ensuring that someone else in Canada becomes the most active player for the year.
    In the brief glimpse that we had of the new website I couldn't find the most active player listing. I am on top of the list only through a glitch since the list includes 18 months of activity.

Seriously though, I want to be able to run this pilot project and see where that takes us. Roger and John have made some good points, but I don't see what's preventing us from testing things out on a few willing subjects and going from there.
    Test away. I don't see how administering members through a club or through individual memberships is much different. Currently most memberships are probably submitted through TDs so I don't see how going through clubs presents any real savings to the CFC. Of course people want to save money but what if the point if you will be forced to raise fees to compensate for lost revenues?

The CFC really cannot afford to put up any new barriers to people who wish to join it nor to people who wish to run tournaments if it wants to adopt sensible policies. Shooting oneself in the foot may provide the peanut gallery with entertainment but is not usually an astute move if you are intent on building the CFC.

In Windsor the CFC gains members despite the current chess club and not because of it. There would be zero interest among non-CFC members to support a $500 fee to make all of the members of the club members of the CFC as well. There are no dues and the library provides the club with a room for free which it has done for more than 30 years.

As for my harping on about the DSB's website, just for a sample of what I'm talking about: http://schachbund.de/dwz/db/verein.html?zps=51025. That information is easy to categorize and disseminate, provided clubs are willing to submit their membership lists. I really believe that having that information available in one place, at the click of a button, has value-added.
    Might such a listing not violate some kind of privacy laws? If someone knows that I am a member of a particular chess club which meets on certain days couldn't an enterprising burglar look up my name in a telephone directory listing and decide that a chess club night would be a good time to schedule a burglary?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post

Test away. I don't see how administering members through a club or through individual memberships is much different. Currently most memberships are probably submitted through TDs so I don't see how going through clubs presents any real savings to the CFC. Of course people want to save money but what if the point if you will be forced to raise fees to compensate for lost revenues?
    it could be he feels the savings are achieved by downloading the costs of administration of membership collection from the CFC (paid positions) to clubs (probably volunteer labour ). Still, there is substantial coordination required to make sure a central membership database is current and correct plus auditing of clubs plus you have many many more people who might make mistakes in keeping their club membership list current.

Of course, I'm biased. I feel the correct way to reduce the costs of maintaining a membership list is to not do it at all. - which is why the BCCF now only charges per tournament fees. For that matter, the Victoria Chess Club does not keep a membership list either - because the one that was kept was never updated properly, membership cards never checked, etc. - all the unneccessary costs of keeping a membership list. The few times it is necessary to check membership is only at AGMs or equivalent - and it's usually pretty obvious with so few people in the room.

I also am peeved by the what it costs me to keep track of CFC memberships. The number of people at tournaments who have membership issues is huge and they don't deal with them by pre-registration. It's a huge hassle figuring out who's OK, chasing down everybody who's not - not to mention collecting all the relevant data, keeping it, and sending it to the CFC. Not a cash cost to be sure but a right royal pain.
    Last edited by roger patterson; 07-02-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by roger patterson View Post
    I also am peeved by the what it costs me to keep track of CFC memberships. The number of people at tournaments who have membership issues is huge and they don't deal with them by pre-registration. It's a huge hassle figuring out who's OK, chasing down everybody who's not - not to mention collecting all the relevant data, keeping it, and sending it to the CFC. Not a cash cost to be sure but a right royal pain.
    Ditto for me...fortunately I rarely organize CFC or FQE events...but every time I do...I get dinged for players who are not members that have eluded me. Yes...I know...I can threaten not to pair them for the next round...I can also tie them up by their toenails ...hmmm

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by roger patterson View Post
    Really? Now is your complaint with the CFC, or the players?

The CFC does provide you with free SwissSys software, which does alert you to the fact that memberships are expired when you register them for the tournament. The membership list is updated weekly and is available on the CFC website.

I simply don’t accept your statement that the number of people with membership issues is huge. Prove it to me, send me an email with a list of issues you had at your most recent tournament.

Collecting all the relevant data!
    Name, cfc number, address, and email. What’s so hard about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Ditto for me...fortunately I rarely organize CFC or FQE events...but every time I do...I get dinged for players who are not members that have eluded me. Yes...I know...I can threaten not to pair them for the next round...I can also tie them up by their toenails ...hmmm

Larry
    Yes, every organizer has been caught at least once by some slimy player who tries to play without renewing his membership. It happens. The only way to police it is to hold the organizers responsible. You are on the hook for a tournament membership fee, but please tell us that you didn't collect it from the player. We understand the problem. We can flag that player, and go after them for membership dues, and maybe even reimburse you. But tell us for sure, otherwise this player will only be encouraged to do it again.

We don't want the organizers to be out of pocket. I suggest you budget for potential losses, just withhold a contingency amount from the prize fund for those "based on entries" weekenders. If you don't need it, you can always add it back to the prize fund at your next tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    I simply don’t accept your statement that the number of people with membership issues is huge. Prove it to me, send me an email with a list of issues you had at your most recent tournament.

Collecting all the relevant data!
    Name, cfc number, address, and email. What’s so hard about that?
    Bob, from 240 players registered to 2011 CYCC up to date 117 players' memberships have expired, which is almoust 50%. For proof just take a quick look at 2011 CYCC website (Pre-registered List).

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkine View Post
    Bob, from 240 players registered to 2011 CYCC up to date 117 players' memberships have expired, which is almoust 50%. For proof just take a quick look at 2011 CYCC website (Pre-registered List).
    I would expect a much higher level of new or expired memberships for a junior tournament. For many of these kids, it will be their first cfc tournament where membership is required. Selling them memberships is a little extra work, but it should be a straight forward process, problem free. Right?

My comments to Roger and Larry, refer to those slimy people who try to elude paying memberships, thus making life difficult for organizers. These people need to be weeded out.

117 new or renewing members! Sweet.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 07-02-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Actually there is only one new member (was nominated from CMA challenge list by Provincial Coordinator from Manitoba, because there was no YCC in Manitoba).

All other 116 players are renewing members (qualified through YCC's or by CFC rating).

I would expect a much higher level of new or expired memberships for a junior tournament. For many of these kids, it will be their first cfc tournament where membership is required. Selling them memberships is a little extra work, but it should be a straight forward process, problem free. Right?

My comments to Roger and Larry, refer to those slimy people who try to elude paying memberships, thus making life difficult for organizers. These people need to be weeded out.

Hi Bob,

At the NAYCC last year, I had a number of people that we had to pay for. I sent them e-mails...but no cheques ever showed up...I will gladly provide a list to the CYCC organizers...maybe they can collect our money at the same time

Larry

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast