Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Candidate for CFC President

Default Candidate for CFC President

As Ross Perot has failed to materialize as a candidate, upon reflection and encouragement, I have made the decision to put my name forward for consideration as CFC President for the 2011-12 term. With a willing replacement secured, if elected, I will resign as OCA President effective immediately upon the completion of the CFC AGM this coming July. Expect a much more expansive statement within the next few days.

wow .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    As Ross Perot has failed to materialize as a candidate, upon reflection and encouragement, I have made the decision to put my name forward for consideration as CFC President for the 2011-12 term. With a willing replacement secured, if elected, I will resign as OCA President effective immediately upon the completion of the CFC AGM this coming July. Expect a much more expansive statement within the next few days.
    Good luck Michael. If I had a vote, it would go your way... I believe you have some fresh ideas and, although you are not "new" on the chess scene, you are fresh talent. I wouldn't worry too much about the provincial associations - in my mind, they are needless levels of administration.

Default Great news!!

Excellent news Michael. You have my full support.

Default Yes, great news.

Thanks for stepping forward Michael. I look forward to hearing your platform.

Hi Michael:

Your candidacy is a good one. Thanks for making the commitment for the CFC - there is some sacrifice in being CFC President, along with the opportunity to take CFC forward.

It looks like an election at the AGM.

Bob A

Thumbs up This is great news for the CFC - best wishes on your candidacy Michael von Keitz!

This welcome news and will ensure a continuity of an improved executive at the CFC since Bob was elected at last year's AGM.

To the naysayers... all I can say is I told you so.

Things worked out after all.

Default Platform

The crux of my plan is a change to a club-affiliate model. In essence, a club pays a fee to become a member of the CFC and, in turn, each member of that club has the rights of CFC membership. This is not something I would want to immediately implement wholesale. Rather, I would like to run a 3-5 club pilot for the coming year (probably starting in January), in order to have some empirical data to work with. I have been putting some feelers out and, in general, this concept seems to be receiving a positive response.

1) Changing the membership structure of the CFC

It seems to me that members of any national organization, especially those in a country the size of Canada, start out by becoming involved at the local level. Ergo, in order for the CFC to realize any meaningful growth, it must promote, facilitate and nurture recruitment municipally. At this level, we regularly see direct interaction between members and non-members alike, something that makes any organization seem much less distant to the uninitiated.

In order to tailor itself to club recruitment, however, I envision the need for a shift in the CFC's membership structure. Specifically, I see clubs affiliating directly with the national federation. In other words, if you aren't a demonstrable member of a club (e.g. possessing a membership card, having an exec vouch for you, etc.), then you can't join the CFC. Similarly, if a club is too small (e.g. under 10 players), the CFC will not allow it to affiliate. In this way, we introduce some incentive for players to recruit. At the same time, note that this structure does not necessarily require the abolishment of provincial organizations or their affiliated leagues, which still have their place as administrative bodies.

2) Providing Perquisites for Membership in the CFC

In order to provide some impetus for recruitment, those establishing (or already in charge of) a local club need to be convinced that affiliation with the CFC is worth the time, effort and, most importantly, money invested. What can the CFC offer them?

a) Club Director/Organizer Certification (replacing the defunct TDOCP)

Similar to the structure in place in Bridge, those helming a club are certified to do so, receiving full support and instructional materials from the CFC. This includes instructions on how to run a tournament, submit it for rating, etc. Those that feel this support is unnecessary are free to decline it; however, their activity will be monitored for a year to ensure compliance with the rules. From amongst these directors/organizers, the CFC might find viable candidates to mold into FAs/IAs/IOs, again, providing full support to those interested in achieving those international certifications.

b) Ratings, Titles and Certificates

As individual members move up the ranks, should they choose to apply, the CFC can provide certificates appropriate to their class, ranging from Class E (1000-1199) to National Master (2200+). Meanwhile, clubs can receive certificates and/or plaques in recognition of membership levels, while the CFC ensures that a Player of the Year, Volunteer of the Year and a yearly Inductee to the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame continue to be recognized.

c) Nurturing a True, Viable National Championship Structure

Each club champion has the right to move on to the next step in the championship cycle. No longer will the national championship be an open Swiss, but an event open only to those that have established a right to be there. That is to say, even if the championship is simply closed to non-club champions (or non-runners up, as appropriate), it is a step towards what the event should be - a privilege that is earned.

d) Recognition of CFC Membership

The CFC contacts clubs annually to thank them for their continued patronage and to recognize them for their specific achievements (i.e. a form letter with personalized items). A plaque might be awarded to the club, as mentioned previously, to recognize milestones, or simply to state "CLUB X IS HEREBY RECOGNIZED AS AN OFFICIAL AFFILIATE OF THE CFC." Meanwhile, at the individual membership level, pins and/or membership cards might be put into effect, as a tangible indicator of the member's involvement.

e) Posting of Tournament Announcements

Club Directors/Organizers will have the exclusive right to announce their club’s tournaments on the CFC website. This is to say that all events would be tied to a hosting club.

f) Access to Tournament Management Software

Club Directors/Organizers would have exclusive access to the free use of SwissSys, or, in the event of an eventual change, SwissManager. Again, this is to say that all events would be tied to a hosting club. Parenthetically, I am in support of a switch to SwissManager.

g) Facilitation of Chess Instruction

The CFC currently has resources available to assist those teaching chess in the classroom. In order to further encourage pedagogical development, the establishment of a semi-regular FIDE Instructors’ Seminar might also be put on offer.

h) Discount on New in Chess Magazine

Generally recognized as one of the best English-language chess publications in the world, securing a discount through the company would provide a real benefit to our members.

i) Access to the CFC Bookstore and CFC Equipment Store

As a benefit of membership, the CFC should offer discounts on both books and equipment to its members, over and above those available to non-members. In order to maximize this benefit, the CFC might revisit its current contracts.

3) Reaching Potential Members

a) News on the Website

Virtually everyday, something new is happening on the Canadian chess scene. It is important to communicate that fact to the wider community, which is readily done by prominently featuring news items (both local, national and international) on the CFC website. This must be done regularly and reliably, in order to build up a following.

b) Member Discussion Boards

The CFC Discussion Boards must be used as a means of engaging the membership, but only where appropriate, as this can be overdone. The CFC Executive and CFC Governors should refrain from bombarding the general membership with unsolicited information that is outside the purview of general interest. Governors that wish to contact the general membership on behalf of the CFC should first seek the permission of the CFC Executive.

c) Presence on an Internet Playing Site(s)

Partnering with an online chess site can only serve to help the CFC. With, literally, thousands of Canadians playing chess online each day, we need an affordable means of reaching them and convincing them of the merits of OTB chess. Coming to some reciprocal agreement with a site, such as chess.com or playchess.com, in which our logo (and a corresponding link to our site) is prominently featured on their site in exchange for us doing the same for them on our own, seems like one such method.

d) Use of Mainstream Media

Mainstream media, in both traditional and digital forms, is another means; however, paid advertising isn't necessarily cheap and would not be worth investing in as a first resort. The CFC can learn to better leverage its use of Facebook and Twitter, while also adopting YouTube and LinkedIn. A large part of the organization’s target demographic uses these sites on an almost daily basis.

e) Bilingual Content on our Website

Every item on every page of the CFC’s website should be translated to French. If necessary, a contractor can be hired to do the initial conversion; however, a dedicated volunteer should be used day-to-day to translate new content going forward. In addition, for those looking for a French-language alternative to New in Chess Magazine, the CFC can partially reimburse them for the purchase of an alternate magazine.

4) Fee Structure

This new membership model would obviously require a change to the CFC’s fee structure. I propose a committee be struck to determine what might be considered appropriate.

5) Future Initiatives

The CFC might look to partnering with other recreational organizations in an effort to better leverage our collective voice and combined resources both locally and nationally.

The crux of my plan is a change to a club-affiliate model. In essence, a club pays a fee to become a member of the CFC and, in turn, each member of that club has the rights of CFC membership. This is not something I would want to immediately implement wholesale. Rather, I would like to run a 3-5 club pilot for the coming year (probably starting in January), in order to have some empirical data to work with. I have been putting some feelers out and, in general, this concept seems to be receiving a positive response.

1) Changing the membership structure of the CFC

It seems to me that members of any national organization, especially those in a country the size of Canada, start out by becoming involved at the local level. Ergo, in order for the CFC to realize any meaningful growth, it must promote, facilitate and nurture recruitment municipally. At this level, we regularly see direct interaction between members and non-members alike, something that makes any organization seem much less distant to the uninitiated.

In order to tailor itself to club recruitment, however, I envision the need for a shift in the CFC's membership structure. Specifically, I see clubs affiliating directly with the national federation. In other words, if you aren't a demonstrable member of a club (e.g. possessing a membership card, having an exec vouch for you, etc.), then you can't join the CFC. Similarly, if a club is too small (e.g. under 10 players), the CFC will not allow it to affiliate. In this way, we introduce some incentive for players to recruit. At the same time, note that this structure does not necessarily require the abolishment of provincial organizations or their affiliated leagues, which still have their place as administrative bodies.

well, I suppose if I can't find a local club that wants to become affiliated (the Victoria Chess club would not) and I want to play tournament chess then I can always find 10 random people from across Canada to form the "Friends of Roger Patterson" club. After all, there is no reason why we should ever actually meet or play. Then we put up a website showing all the members of the club so that when we play in a tournament it can be verified that our membership is current. The problem is, I already belong to such a group - it's called the CFC. How is what you suggest an improvement? I know that this is the European model but so what? Why do you think putting impediments in the way of people who live in small towns, anti-social, or who are just plain not interested in a local club is going to help the CFC grow membership?

a) Club Director/Organizer Certification (replacing the defunct TDOCP)

Similar to the structure in place in Bridge, those helming a club are certified to do so, receiving full support and instructional materials from the CFC. This includes instructions on how to run a tournament, submit it for rating, etc. Those that feel this support is unnecessary are free to decline it; however, their activity will be monitored for a year to ensure compliance with the rules. From amongst these directors/organizers, the CFC might find viable candidates to mold into FAs/IAs/IOs, again, providing full support to those interested in achieving those international certifications.
    The reality is that there are not sufficient numbers of organizers (and TDs) of any kind - good or bad. Beggers can't be choosers and proposing a program which implies that you will not accept some clubs and organizers until they have paid you a fee, passed a test, whatever - just means that you will have fewer clubs and organizers. What you propose is not a positive step in the sense of a program to train, encourage, and support new organizers and TDs but is rather framed in a negative sense of a gateway through which hopeful candidates to become organizers or TDs must pass.

e) Posting of Tournament Announcements

Club Directors/Organizers will have the exclusive right to announce their club’s tournaments on the CFC website. This is to say that all events would be tied to a hosting club.
    Is there something wrong with having people who are not part of a club organize tournaments? If I were unable to form the "Friends of Roger Patterson" club and hence not part of a club, why would you object if I organized a tournament? Seems like there should be no objection - I would be running an event that brings in revenue for the CFC and provides a service to it's members.

Default more on clubs

as an addendum to my previous post - why do you think clubs will sign up? There are 26 or so clubs listed on the BCCF website. AFAIK, only 2 or perhaps 3 of them offer CFC rated play. The club I am president of, the Victoria Chess Club, has 15-20 people every club night but probably only 1 person present who is a CFC member - me - and I'm not always a CFC member either.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast