Thread: Presidential Debate: Governors Governing

Blog Entries

Default Presidential Debate: Governors Governing

Several times over the last decade there have been clashes between the Executive and the Governors - or sometimes even just the President and the Governors.

In most cases (with at least one notable exception) the Executive (or President) has simply done what they thought was best even if it wasn't strictly speaking legal.

Would you, as a potential CFC President, accept the will of the Governors on even what you consider the most important issues? Are you more of a "compromiser" or a "steamroller" ??

I would consider myself a "compromiser." Regardless of how I feel on a topic, I am ultimately accountable to the Assembly of Governors and hardly stand to benefit from attempting to slide something by them.

Blog Entries

I'm not actually expecting anyone to come out and say they are a steamroller - that's a good way to not get elected. But this way if someone turns out to be a steamroller, they also turn out to be a liar...

The division of powers is well laid out in the Constitution. In the past, it has not been always adhered to strictly .

There is the day to day management and there are the long term orientations of the CFC, including any Constitutional changes. The Executive, the ED and the President should take care of the first topic and the Governors of the second.

In some area, we need to move fast and in others, it is important to build a consensus. For example, despite the huge success of Club based foreign Chess Federations, all the other Canadian Federations that I have investigated are structured with provincial associations. We should move cautiously we any change in the structure of the membership, with any change in the fees structure or with any change in our rating system.

We should move fast with support to clubs, arbiters and organizers. They do not require Constitutional changes and can be implemented rapidly.

The Governor and the Executive should share the responsibilities wisely as indicated in our Constitution. The Executive will always be accountable to the Governors.

I am in favor of improving the Constitution with the full participation of the Governors.