Thread: Running for CFC Presidency (Part 1)

Default Running for CFC Presidency (Part 1)

Last edited by Serge Archambault; 09-04-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Hopefully Part 2 will have less about why you think you're such a great arbiter and more about why you think you'll make a good President?

Blog Entries

Serge: I'm hoping you will run for Quebec Governor (although you don't actually need to be a Governor to run for an Executive position).

In the past decade or so I've seen instances where people turn away from joining the Executive if they can't get the top spot, but I hope you consider alternative Executive positions (those elections are held afterward) should your presidency run come up short.

FYI: Participation points have been removed from the rating system. Web site and handbook, still waiting updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    FYI: Participation points have been removed from the rating system. Web site and handbook, still waiting updating.
    As I understand a word "eliminated", the Handbook is updated on this matter

714c) Participation Bonus Points {Motion 2008-10 GL6 Stockhausen/Craver}
    {Eliminated July 2010 AGM Toronto}
    Rated 1000-1100 = 2.00 Points per game played
    Rated 1101-1800 = 1.50 Points per game played
    Rated 1801-2000 = 1.00 Points per game played
    Rated 2001-2200 = 0.75 Points per game played
    Rated 2201+ = 0.50 Points per game played
    .*-1

Default CFC Presidential Candidates' Platforms

Hi Serge:

I will start the ball rolling on finding out presidential candidate platforms.

Do you favour phasing out the CFC national rating system, in favour of moving completely to the FIDE rating system?

Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Serge:

I will start the ball rolling on finding out presidential candidate platforms.

Do you favour phasing out the CFC national rating system, in favour of moving completely to the FIDE rating system?

Bob
    I would suspect that his answer would be "no" to that given his earlier lengthy posts in which did touch on the rating system, though he did have some natural confusion from relying on what the CFC website shows to be the rating system in place.

On FIDE, any discussion of closer cooperation needs to consider the role of alleged alien abduction experiences and the resultant impairment of normal faculties which would cause the president of FIDE to think that it was a good idea likely to generate favourable publicity to play chess with a member of Quadaffi's family. The inmates have taken over the asylum as far as I can see on the FIDE front.

Hi Vlad:

You may be right, since he did talk about improving the Canadian rating system. But if he wants to keep it, what are the reasons for rejecting the FIDE rating system option?

Bob

Blog Entries

I have created a thread to give both Pierre and Serge and any other Presidential candidates a 24 hour head start before we start a general debate on this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Vlad:

You may be right, since he did talk about improving the Canadian rating system. But if he wants to keep it, what are the reasons for rejecting the FIDE rating system option?

Bob
    The video of Kirsan playing chess with Quaddafi's son is one good reason. Chess has enough hurdles to overcome without being saddled with a reputation for cozying up to murderous dictators.

The second reason is that by eliminating the CFC rating system you eliminate the franchise that keeps the CFC in its dominant position in Canadian chess. Eliminate this and you will very quickly see the CFC become redundant. All that it would take would be a minor adjustment in the FIDE rules about submitting tournaments for rating and bye bye CFC. If you are in favour of eliminating the CFC then that is the way to go. If you want to reform the CFC then there needs to be a plan B.

Being the gate to FIDE only really matters to a very small percentage of the players participating in CFC chess. I would say that only players rated 2000 CFC and up have much of an interest in FIDE ratings. Among the higher rated players the FIDE rating is more important than the CFC rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Archambault View Post
    My first concern, as President, would be to try to identify and solidify the CFC assets. What does the CFC have ? What should be protected at all cost and not tempered with ? What should the CFC aim for ?
    I can not support a candidate who come to figure out these things. Looks like a waste of time for the CFC. The candidate must come with the concrete plan what (s)he would try to accomplish.
    .*-1