Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The CCC Post ( Week of May 27 – June 2/11 ).

Default The CCC Post ( Week of May 27 – June 2/11 ).

The CCC Post ( Week of May 27 – June 2/11 ).

2011-2 CFC Budget – The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) draws everyone’s attention to the fact that the new CFC fiscal year started on May 1. Our last year’s budget only went to April 30. Our question as members is what budget is CFC now operating under?

Last year the budget was presented by the Executive to the governors, and passed by them, prior to May 1, so there was a legitimate budget in place at the start of the year. Then when the new executive was elected in July, by Aug. 31 they had presented a “ revised “ budget for the governors to approve. This whole process seems awkward to the CCC. Our major concern is that it seems that the CFC Handbook gives little guidance on this whole issue of budgets. We think it needs amending to deal with this. And CCC suggests that one proposal to be studied is whether the process would be simplified by coordinating the fiscal year with CFC Executive elections – that is, move the fiscal year to Sept. 1 - August 31. We don’t think it is acceptable that CFC is running now on only an Executive budget, which has never even been presented – there is something wrong with the Handbook when this can happen.

Bob, CCC Coordinator
    CCC Facebook Group Page : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sfr...806343128&ap=1
    CCC Twitter Account : http://www.twitter.com/coopchesscoalit
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 05-30-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    The CCC Post ( Week of May 27 – June 2/11 ).

2011-2 CFC Budget – The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) draws everyone’s attention to the fact that the new CFC fiscal year started on May 1. Our last year’s budget only went to April 30. Our question as members is what budget is CFC now operating under?

Last year the budget was presented by the Executive to the governors, and passed by them, prior to May 1, so there was a legitimate budget in place at the start of the year. Then when the new executive was elected in July, by Aug. 31 they had presented a “ revised “ budget for the governors to approve. This whole process seems awkward to the CCC. Our major concern is that it seems that the CFC Handbook gives little guidance on this whole issue of budgets. We think it needs amending to deal with this. And CCC suggests that one proposal to be studied is whether the process would be simplified by coordinating the fiscal year with CFC Executive elections – that is, move the fiscal year to Sept. 1 - August 31 –. We don’t think it is acceptable that CFC is running now on only an Executive budget, which has never even been presented – there is something wrong with the Handbook when this can happen.

Bob, CCC Coordinator
    CCC Facebook Group Page : http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sfr...806343128&ap=1
    CCC Twitter Account : http://www.twitter.com/coopchesscoalit
    Bob, I could be wrong, but wasn't that budget presented for May 2010 defeated by the Governors.

In any case, we are working on this now and should have something ready to go in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the reminder.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what the answer is, I'll give it some thought, but at first glance I don't think a fiscal year ending August 31st is the answer either. At least the way it is now we have financial statements by which to judge the previous exec at the AGM.

Perhaps the Exec should have to present a budget by March 15th for the following fiscal year. A new incoming exec could seek changes to the existing budget by Governor vote, should they wish.

I don't understand why this thread is started here, while no similar post was made on the Governor's board. The Governor's board should have been the starting point.

Default 2011-2 Budget Coming

Hi Fred:

I think that the budget that got defeated was the year before - under CFC President Van Dusen, because he failed to explain the budget when governors asked questions.

Last year Maurice was Treasurer, and it is my recollection he did it right and explained it and answered questions, and got it passed before April 30. Someone correct me if they have looked at records on this, and I'm mis-remembering.

Thanks for the quick reply Fred. The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) was hoping that one would be quickly brought forward to the governors. We are concerned however, that " members " had to bring this forward, and that no governors raised the issue - are they all asleep at the switch?

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Hi Garland:

The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) also wonders why no governor had raised this on the Governors' Discussion Board -we would have thought they would be concerned about protecting their authority over budgets.

Bob, CCC Coordinator

Bob, you are a governor. Are you questioning yourself ?

Default Comatose Governors?

Hi Garland:

I think the bigger question is why I was the only governor of 60 governors to raise the issue ( though I allowed it to come from a members' group ).

And I do admit, I also didn't realize it 'til after the new fiscal year had already started - are we all asleep at the switch? Do governors want to govern? The Governors' Discussion Board is dead. Only 43% of the governors came out to the 2011 Spring ( April ) Meeting. Few governors ever post on the members' CFC Chess Chat Forum, or even come to the CFC Discussion Boards.

And it is not an isolated incident. The Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) will be raising another issue involving governor authority in absentia shortly.

Bob, CCC Coordinator
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 05-31-2011 at 07:10 PM.

How many Governors belong to the CCC?

Default CCC Has Governor Involvement

Hi Ken:

There are 2 governor " members " and 2 governor " supporters " ( strongly support the CCC goals and actions, but for various reasons cannot be formal " members " ). We governor participants are trying to work with ordinary members to increase member involvement in the CFC, and other chess structures.

In all the group is small: 14 members and 7 supporters. But we feel we are being effective - we have a motion on the Toronto July AGM agenda, and are raising issues for the governors/executive to consider.

Bob, CCC Coordinator
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 06-02-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast