Thread: Question for CFC Board of Directors

Default Question for CFC Board of Directors

Hello,

I have been asked by an Romanian chess parent if his kid will be eligible to play in 2011 CYCC and eventually in 2011 WYCC (if he qualifies) this year. Is to late to play in BCYCC, they did not know in time about the tournament.

They are permanent residents since winter 2010 and the kid is going to Canadian school.

Based on what I know I'm inclined to say "No".

I remember that Iulia Lacau was not allowed to play in CYCC 2006, because she did not qualify under:

"1007. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:
    Each contestant in a Youth Tournament must fulfill the age and residency requirements specified by FIDE for the World event to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a landed immigrant and be a resident of Canada for the twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament. Persons who are not citizens or landed immigrants but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors."

She was already a resident, living and going to high school in Canada, she had a 2000+ FIDE rating, it was her last year in U18 section, the U18G section had just one female player rated under 1100 (she represented Canada at WYCC that year)... but she was not allowed to play.

Is this rule still in place?

Thanks
    Andrei Botez

Blog Entries

I would think that the starting point would be an e-mail to Michael Barron and copy Bob Gillanders.

Default I am still waiting for an answer from anyone from CFC Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I would think that the starting point would be an e-mail to Michael Barron and copy Bob Gillanders.
    I have a problem opening my email, if Bob or Michael can answer on this board I will appreciate. The kid family need to know soon in order to plan or not the trip to Toronto.

Thanks
    Andrei

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    Hello,

I have been asked by an Romanian chess parent if his kid will be eligible to play in 2011 CYCC and eventually in 2011 WYCC (if he qualifies) this year. Is to late to play in BCYCC, they did not know in time about the tournament.

They are permanent residents since winter 2010 and the kid is going to Canadian school.

Based on what I know I'm inclined to say "No".

I remember that Iulia Lacau was not allowed to play in CYCC 2006, because she did not qualify under:

"1007. Age, Citizenship, and Residency for Canadian Championship:
    Each contestant in a Youth Tournament must fulfill the age and residency requirements specified by FIDE for the World event to which the winner of the Canadian event will qualify. Each player shall be either (i) a Canadian citizen or (ii) a landed immigrant and be a resident of Canada for the twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament. Persons who are not citizens or landed immigrants but who have been a resident of Canada for a twelve-month period immediately preceding the tournament may be admitted to the Tournament provided they can clearly demonstrate to the CFC Board of Directors that they have a settled intention to continue to reside in Canada. The admittance to the Tournament of such exceptions shall be entirely at the discretion of the CFC Board of Directors."

She was already a resident, living and going to high school in Canada, she had a 2000+ FIDE rating, it was her last year in U18 section, the U18G section had just one female player rated under 1100 (she represented Canada at WYCC that year)... but she was not allowed to play.

Is this rule still in place?

Thanks
    Andrei Botez

Hello Andrei,

Yes, this rule is still in place.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Default Changin the rule

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Hello Andrei,

Yes, this rule is still in place.

Thanks Michael. I was wondering if is any governor who will like to make a proposal to cancel/change this rule. Immigrating to Canada is not a 2 weeks process, is taking years and also is taking a lot of money. Spending all this time and money on this process, I believe is sufficient prove that whoever goes thru this process has real intentions to live in Canada.

Thank you
    Andrei

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Rule

I agree wth Andrei; as long as a junior has a permanent resident status I see no reason why it could not qualify for CYCC. The 12 months period of stay in Canada prior to the first participation seems way too restrictive IMO.

Blog Entries

If we consider FIDE Handbook C.05 it would seem that any Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident (as I believe the term is in Canada) who has never played in FIDE events before should be eligible for say a WYCC event. Also eligible would be those others (with FIDE's permission) who have lived in Canada for at least 1 year.

Things become more complicated if players have previously been registered to another Chess Federation.

However, it would be reasonable for the CFC rules to change so that players are eligible for the CYCC, if they could play in the WYCC should they become eligible to do so, through their result in the CYCC.

I would think the same logic would apply to the Canadian Junior.