Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCM Alexandra Botez US Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    Thank you for all this interesting data!

I would still pursue it. We are in 2011 with a lot more research and data at our disposal. Heck there are countries like Scotland where they have chess related programs in University, mostly combined with computers and artificial inteligence, while we play chess recreational...

First step is to be convinced this is what needs to be done. You cannot have much when your own membership is divided and not convinced. The way I keep on hearing and reading the same explanations and excuses time and time again, it would not matter if Kasparov himself would imigrate here and decide to lead toward such a goal.

Chess adds value to education; this is already proven in several other corners of this World. You need to focus on kids and juniors since they are your foundation and members of tomorrow, willing to bring their own kids into chess like they are involved now. The cycle is pretty simple actually; all we need is desire to do it!...

P.S. Don't think anyone would debate that offering a 4 years scholarship to any Canadian University for a chess Champion could raise the number of junior players dramatically! Then you can argue how much to charge for junior membership and such
    I think we should start with "Chess in Schools" program first which is promoted and supported by FIDE now. Then in 12 years we may have a chance to dream about scholarships for Universities.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Itkine View Post
    I think we should start with "Chess in Schools" program first which is promoted and supported by FIDE now. Then in 12 years we may have a chance to dream about scholarships for Universities.
    http://www.armeniadiaspora.com/compo...n-schools.html

Is this the same Alexandra Botez who has played in numeous Canadian youth events - or a different (American) one?

The same; the family is Canadian, live in the US (Oregon, I believe).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12