Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 34 New Business

Default 34 New Business

Any other item approved for general discussion by the President. Note that this section is not intended to be a general free for all!

Default 34a. Gst/hst

Lyle - could you please start a new thread for GST/HST.

With the loss of our charitable status, so goes our exemption from GST/HST on our revenues, membership dues and rating fees. We are now a regular non profit organization. The relevant CRA document can be found at:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4081/rc4081-10e.pdf

To date, the CFC has absorbed this extra cost for our members. I wanted to discuss this issue with the Governors before passing this charge onto the membership. I propose we begin charging GST/HST as of May 1st.

If there are any tax experts who feel we can avoid this tax, we would love to hear from you.
    But my reading of it is that we can't.

I wonder if we might conduct an anonymous straw poll on the governor's feelings towards various fee structures. Something along the lines of:

What do you feel about the federation's current fee structure?

A) It should stay the same
    B) Membership fees should be increased
    C) Rating fees should be increased
    D) We should switch to a single-fee structure, eliminating membership fees
    E) We should switch to a single-fee structure, eliminating rating fees
    F) Other

Hi Michael:

This is the kind of thing I wanted the CFC Membership/Rating Fee Restructuring Committee to do - survey, research, and recommend at the AGM.

But the committee remains unstaffed and non-functioning - no volunteers.

And I had hoped for a recommendation from the committee that would address the single membership issue in Motion 2011-L, to help us vote on it at the AGM.

Hope something happens.

Bob

( P.S. Good set of questions ! )

The new item - Olympiad.

• The next chess Olympiad is scheduled for August 27-September 10, 2012, in Turkey. According to the Handbook "Selection of players for the Teams by rating shall be based on the average of the player’s highest CFC rating and highest FIDE rating during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad)", meaning that the whole process started around 2011 February 27 (a rough subtraction of 18 month).

• "(b) The CFC shall publish, with each rating update, a list of the top 10 Selection Ratings and the top 10 Selection Ratings of female players." The last year the updates were with every new FIDE list.
    • The forthcoming Canadian Closed Champion will become a Oympiad team member. (I assume that there will be no Closed in 2012.) I think this should be advertised/emphasized too.
    .*-1

Default EKG contract and the future of the CFC Office

The new item - EKG contract and the future of the CFC Office.

As we know, 2-year contract with EKG will expire in the end of the month.

Could we assess EKG performance over this 2-year period?

Will be any change in the CFC Office operations on May 1st, 2011?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

My initial thought about GST / HST on fees is that it would be ideal to imbed the tax in the fee except that GST / HST has 4 different rates depending on where you live: BC 12%, ON/NB/NL 13%, NS 15%, everybody else 5%.

On the other hand, I belong to political parties and unless they imbed the rate in their fees, they DON'T charge GST / HST.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    My initial thought about GST / HST on fees is that it would be ideal to imbed the tax in the fee except that GST / HST has 4 different rates depending on where you live: BC 12%, ON/NB/NL 13%, NS 15%, everybody else 5%.

On the other hand, I belong to political parties and unless they imbed the rate in their fees, they DON'T charge GST / HST.
    I don't see how we can charge memberships that aren't an even $ amount, tournament organizers would go nutty........

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    The new item - EKG contract and the future of the CFC Office.

As we know, 2-year contract with EKG will expire in the end of the month.

Could we assess EKG performance over this 2-year period?

Will be any change in the CFC Office operations on May 1st, 2011?
    Thank you for asking Michael. I think we can all acknowledge (without throwing stones) that the CFC/EKG relationship was strained at times over the past 2 years. Each party was forging a working relationship under difficult political and budgetary forces. IMHO, we have received good service from EKG. I want to thank Patrick and Gerry for their contributions to the Canadian Chess community.

Patrick has indicated he is not seeking a contract renewal. Gerry is interested in continuing on as Executive Director. I are currently speaking with Gerry on the terms of a new contract. I am confident we can reach an agreement this month that both parties will find acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Thank you for asking Michael. I think we can all acknowledge (without throwing stones) that the CFC/EKG relationship was strained at times over the past 2 years. Each party was forging a working relationship under difficult political and budgetary forces. IMHO, we have received good service from EKG. I want to thank Patrick and Gerry for their contributions to the Canadian Chess community.

Patrick has indicated he is not seeking a contract renewal. Gerry is interested in continuing on as Executive Director. I are currently speaking with Gerry on the terms of a new contract. I am confident we can reach an agreement this month that both parties will find acceptable.
    Thank you, Bob!

Please keep us informed!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast