Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 Motion 2011-L – "A Single CFC Annual Membership"

Blog Entries

They were last changed around 2003 or so, up $3 as I recall.

The fact that the balanced unified fee needs to be $34 to break even shows that we have been falling a bit behind on the inflation curve.

Of course now we have apparently discovered that we need to charge HST.....

My personal view is that the tournament "membership" has hurt the CFC membership numbers more than any other single factor.

In fairness to my good friend Francisco Cabanas who was CFC president and main advocate for this measure at the time I predicted this before the original motion was passed. I regret to say I think history has proven me right.

This is an interesting motion though I would not want to see it used to eliminate Life Memberships which I do thing are a net gain for the Federation. Unlike our American cousins we did not spend the capital from these but invested it prudently and I think it's a useful way to donate to the CFC.

(I confess I'm not unbiased - I purchased my CFC and BCCF life memberships 24 years ago)

Hi Lyle:

The motion does not affect the Life Membership, which would be available as always.

Bob

Blog Entries

BobA, it does affect the price of those memberships if I'm not mistaken...

Hi Chris:

Yes - no effect on the Life Membership staying in existence. But - does affect Life Membership price, since it is a function of the annual membership.

Bob

I wonder if terminating Life Memberships could result in a class action lawsuit?

Blog Entries

Who ever said they wanted to terminate life memberships?

Some people have said they want to stop selling them, but that's different.

The idea of terminating them has been suggested by some in the past. It doesn't seem to have developed any traction. Abolishing annual memberships and moving to a very high rating fee might in reality to remove any benefits having purchased a life membership would have provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Abolishing annual memberships and moving to a very high rating fee might in reality to remove any benefits having purchased a life membership would have provided.
    This was discussed before: If we were to move to a rating fee only model the life membership rating fee could remain at $3. I have not advocated to take away the life membership benefits.

Further, if you think $8, which is the suggested figure, is "very high" for a rating fee, you could always call it a tournament membership. It would have all the same benefits as current membership (that is to say, none).
    Last edited by Stuart Brammall; 04-07-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes I know many people including myself in the past have suggested no longer selling them. Not many that I've seen if any have ever said we should strip away those already sold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast