Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 18. Ethics Committee – Status Report – Bob Gillanders

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    As a Life Member of the CFC, Kevin Spraggett must permanently preserve "the public integrity of the Canadian chess community," or risk incurring the wrath of the EC. Mark Dutton seconded this motion and is current Chair of the committee. Would he entertain a complaint raised in relation to Kevin's blog? Personally, I think his egregious commentary is worthy of the EC's time, even if only to issue a written warning.
    Michael. There is no committee. Mark refused/resigned the position.

However, I think you may feel justified in continuing with this. It would be up to Bob to form such a group.

Default Spraggett ethics

FIDE does have an active Ethics Commission. Would the Governors like me to investigate the prospect of filing a complaint with them? They may or may not choose to hear it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    FIDE does have an active Ethics Commission. Would the Governors like me to investigate the prospect of filing a complaint with them? They may or may not choose to hear it.
    I'm wondering if they would question why we wouldn't handle this internally, unless an argument was made that due to his residence being in Portugal we had need of a "world wide court"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Personally, I think his egregious commentary is worthy of the EC's time, even if only to issue a written warning.

I think this is a bad idea... any written warning will just appear on his blog the next day and make the cfc look more foolish/petty.

Just ignore the guy if you don't like what he has to say.

I don't think very many people in Canada harbour much respect for the opinions of Spraggett these days anyway.

I'd be all for it if I thought there was a snowflake's chance in hell that it would induce a change in behaviour. Since I don't think that I don't see the point.

I wouldn't be so sure about that Lyle. The FIDE Ethics Commisson has teeth. Player bans are not uncommon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that Lyle. The FIDE Ethics Commisson has teeth. Player bans are not uncommon.
    The following might be a reasonably close situation

http://www.fide.com/news/download/Judgement01-06.pdf

As a matter of course, I would like to see this pass through a domestic body first - even if only to approve passing it on to FIDE.

I can just see the blog post when KS learns of this discussion.

It's comments like these that encourage me to vote against releasing the postings of the Governor's meeting to the public. It is difficult to see how we can demonstrate that the Governors are a responsible group, when we twist a thread as this one has. it just adds Grist to the mill.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast