Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 18. Ethics Committee – Status Report – Bob Gillanders

Default 18. Ethics Committee – Status Report – Bob Gillanders

This section reserved for the committee status report

We currently do not have a functioning ethics committee. A suggestion has been made that instead of a standing permanent ethics committee, we appoint a committee when needed to deal with a specific issue. Is this preferable to the status quo?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    We currently do not have a functioning ethics committee. A suggestion has been made that instead of a standing permanent ethics committee, we appoint a committee when needed to deal with a specific issue. Is this preferable to the status quo?
    This works for me.

We still have never resolved the conflict of interest problem from earlier in the year.

I am all for this being an ad hoc committee. That said, what is the general consensus on having the committee reinstituted to discuss the possible banishment of Kevin Spraggett from the CFC?
    Last edited by Michael von Keitz; 04-01-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: ad ho committees...

Hi Fred:

Some CFC members were quite concerned about apparent conflicts of interest over the CYCC and CO bidding process.

If we are not going to form a standing committee, and are not intending to form an ad hoc committee to look into these concerns, I think the executive should make some kind of final statement to the membership, to show it was dealt with by the CFC when raised and hotly debated on CMA ChessTalk at length. It also did come to a govenors' meeting, but no finality was brought to the issue that could be presented to the members.

Bob

Blog Entries

I think this could be a topic for the AGM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    I am all for this being an ad ho committee. That said, what is the general consensus on having the committee reinstituted to discuss the possible banishment of Kevin Spraggett from the CFC?
    Wow. Michael, I'm not sure what banishment in this case even means.

I would think a committee would have to first off establish an Ethical code for members, and have it apply from that point forward.

I think having a committee for a specific person is just wrong.

Hi Fred:

I was told that the CFC Exec. were so tired of KS that they ordered Tony Ficzere to remove the free advertising ( from the link page ) for KS in the CCN. True?

Bob

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Fred:

I was told that the CFC Exec. were so tired of KS that they ordered Tony Ficzere to remove the free advertising ( from the link page ) for KS in the CCN. True?

Bob
    The Executive felt his web site was inappropriate for junior members because of the adult content often posted.

However, I knew this was going to be reflected as some reaction on the CFC's part to his constant criticism of the Executive and Governors. I would have argued against that.

If you ever go to my website you will see that I still have links to Kevin's blog. Having said that, I think it's safe to say most of the Executive don't share my more lenient feelings.

398. Ethics Committee
    {Motion Lambruschini/Dutton in 2005-06 GL7}

Be it resolved that the CFC create an Ethics Committee to address unsportsmanlike and unethical behavior by members. Members can appeal to the Ethics Committee when their good standing has been impugned or to draw attention to unethical behavior on the part of CFC members. The Ethics Committee shall operate as follows:

Composition
    - The EC will be chaired by a member of the CFC Executive, to be appointed by the President during the Incoming AGM.
    - The EC will include the CFC Masters Representative.
    - The EC will include one other respected individual, to be elected at the same time as the other CFC Directors.
    - The term of the two members other than the Masters Representative will last until the AGM of the following year.

Responsibility
    - An appeal by a CFC member to the EC is to be made directly to the Chair, with a copy sent to the Business Office.
    - The Chair will determine in consultation with the other members of the EC, as well as the persons involved, whether the appeal is justified, and if so, what level of rebuke is called for against the offending party.
    - It is the responsibility of the Chair to ensure an adequate public response is made to defend the good standing of the CFC member when unethical behavior has harmed an individual member. Official statements from the EC should be posted on the CFC website and Discussion Forum as well as be included in the Governors Letter.
    - It is the responsibility of the EC to consider the degree to which unethical behavior in question has reflected poorly on the Canadian chess community. The EC must strive to take measures to protect the public integrity of the Canadian chess community.

Authority
    - Depending on the severity of the ethical misconduct of a CFC member, the EC will have judicial authority ranging from the issuing of a written warning to expulsion from the CFC.
    As a Life Member of the CFC, Kevin Spraggett must permanently preserve "the public integrity of the Canadian chess community," or risk incurring the wrath of the EC. Mark Dutton seconded this motion and is current Chair of the committee. Would he entertain a complaint raised in relation to Kevin's blog? Personally, I think his egregious commentary is worthy of the EC's time, even if only to issue a written warning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast