Thread: 11. AGM Modernization Subcommittee - Report – Bob Armstrong

Default 11. AGM Modernization Subcommittee - Report – Bob Armstrong

This section is for the subcommittee report

Default AGM Modernization Subcommittee - Update

AGM Modernization Subcommittee - Bob Armstrong's Update

The AGM Modernization Subcommittee is now myself as Chair, Chris Mallon and Michael von Keitz. It is a Subcommittee of the Procedures’ Committee ( myself as Chair and Bob Gillanders ). Originally the Subcommittee developed a CFC AGM Model ( initial rough draft by Chris ). The Model proposes that the AGM still take place at the Can. Open as usual, but the proceedings there will be broadcast in both audio and video, so it can be received by governors across the country on their computers. The not-on-site governors will be able to type in to the meeting text of their comments/questions/ etc., and they will be read out by the Secretary using the laptop, to those governors on-site.

I can provide a copy of the Model AGM, and our Notes on a Technological Implementation Plan to anyone wanting them.

We have been told that we are pretty much leading edge on trying to develop this model of large multi-person, multi-media conferencing, but that the technology to do this is currently out there. It just needs to be coordinated somehow to realize our project, since there is no existent package that does this ( according to a brief search by one of our CFC volunteer IT members ).

BUT there have been problems and setbacks. Here is a record of what had taken place, in my post cancelling a scheduled “ Trial AGM “:
    __________________________________________________ ____________

“ The CFC Subcommittee on AGM Modernization must unfortunately announce that the " Trial AGM ", scheduled for Sunday, April 3, from 1:00 – 3:00 PM,EDT, at the Chess Institute of Canada, 918 Bathurst Street ( where Ted Winick, Director, had kindly provided us with free space for the 3 hours, and wireless access to the internet ), must now be CANCELLED.

The Subcommittee originally set out to enter into a small IT contract for a Technological Implementation Plan, for the CFC AGM Model, we had developed. We received no bids.

Then we decided to go part way with the modernization, and use a web-based internet conferencing company - would have been part conference call, and part computer inter-activity. This was to be a “ free “ trial run; if it worked, there was a relatively modest cost for the Toronto July AGM. And we had a 2010-11 budget allocated to us of $ 500 for the Trial and actual AGM costs. We then posted for a volunteer " Trial AGM Coordinator ", for the " Trial AGM ", on the CFC Governors' Discussion Board, the members' CFC Chess Chat Forum, and the CMA ChessTalk. It was up for a full week, with a deadline of Monday, March 14, for any CFC Governor or member, to come forward and volunteer. No one came forward. We are suffering from total lack of support, it appears.

And there was some hostility to our project. One governor went so far as to personally tell me that governors were not interested in AGM modernization, that we were wasting everyone’s time, and that the AGM wasn’t broke, and we shouldn’t be trying to fix it.

The Subcommittee has no Plan B for this eventuality. Someone with minimum experience is needed to coordinate the internet company, the software and the hardware.

Thus I am reluctantly forced to cancel the Trial AGM. This is unfortunate, but it seems necessary.

The Subcommittee will now have to go back to the drawing board as to where we can possibly go from here. “
    __________________________________________________ ____________

So this is where we stand at the moment – stymied. The Subcommittee has not developed any plan on how to proceed next. Our only thought is that we may have to hire someone to act as " AGM Coordinator " in July, without having first tested the internet conferencing system out.

Lastly, I have now handed in my resignation as Chair, and from the Subcommittee, effective the end of this meeting. I am staying on long enough to be available to answer questions.

I have been quite proud of what the Subcommittee has accomplished – the developing of a progressive, modern model, and a phased-in implementation plan, to implement part of the model for this July AGM, using an internet conferencing company.

But I am limited in my technical skills, and I feel that someone more comfortable with modern technology should guide this project through to conclusion. I am also concerned that I was unable to draw the support this project needed ( no bids on the Technological Implementation Plan contract; no volunteer as " Trial AGM Coordinator ), and maybe some new blood would improve that situation.

Given the seeming apathy surrounding the issue so far, does anybody feel this should be a priority? Would anybody be willing to serve as the on-site facilitator at the next AGM, if we were to press forward? Perhaps those unable to attend in person are happy digesting the information at a later date and see no need to be accommodated?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Given the seeming apathy surrounding the issue so far, does anybody feel this should be a priority? Would anybody be willing to serve as the on-site facilitator at the next AGM, if we were to press forward? Perhaps those unable to attend in person are happy digesting the information at a later date and see no need to be accommodated?
    It's unlikely I will get to the AGM in person, but I'd have no problem taking two days vacation time to be able to attend from my home.

Blog Entries

To be honest, I thought I had quit this subcommittee out of frustration months ago in the middle of the whole "let's spend $500 for someone to make a plan for us" phase.

I wouldn't mind perhaps being an AGM or Trial AGM coordinator at some point in the future, however between being a beginner teacher and having a 2 month old at home, I'm pretty swamped at the moment.

*Assuming* that I'm free (although hopefully I'm teaching summer school) I would be willing to help with coordinating the actual AGM this year.