Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WYCC is under way

Default WYCC is under way

We have 24 players representing Canada at the WYCC in Vung Tau Vietnam. The first round results are almost complete. You can find results at http://chess-results.com/tnr15980.aspx?lan=1 . Many arrived not long before game time but seem to be doing well for the most part.
    Ellen Nadeau

Unhappy Unfortunate pairings in U16

First round Eric Hansen played against Canadian Alexander Martchenko and in second round is paired against Lloyd Mai. Poor Eric could have spent less money to play these two opponents in the first two rounds.

Angry I am outraged !!!

This is ridiculous. We send a Canadian team to the WYCC and they play each other. I see from other posts that this happens all the time.

I think we should start a campaign to get the rules changed for 2009. At the very least, pairing rules should minimize pairings within a country.

What do say Ellen, shall we throw the full weight of the CFC behind this campaign ?

As of Rd. 2, the following have 2 pts.:

Joseph Bellissimo ( U 8 Open )
    Chang He Li ( U 12 Open )
    Loyd Mai ( U 16 Open )
    Kelly Wang ( U 8 Girls )

At 1.5 pts. is Jonah Lee ( U 8 Open )

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 10-21-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Chances to solve anything

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    This is ridiculous. We send a Canadian team to the WYCC and they play each other. I see from other posts that this happens all the time.

I think we should start a campaign to get the rules changed for 2009. At the very least, pairing rules should minimize pairings within a country.

What do say Ellen, shall we throw the full weight of the CFC behind this campaign ?
    The chances to have an impact with such requests are similar with the ones CFC has to recouperate the money WYCC 2005 Belfort organizers (Mr Touze in particular) have overcharged quite a few Canadian delegation members. We have not seen a penny back more than 3 years later!...

Would the current CFC Executives be willing to look into that problem? I am willing to donate the amount they owe me (and it is not just a few dollars) if CFC manages to solve anything. Is that good enough incentive?

Default Wycc 2008

We have one player with 3 out of 3 . Kelly Wang in the U 8Girls is doing very well. Today is the 2 round day so we'll see if some players can get good results in the heat. GO TEAM CANADA!!!

PS Hi Valer I will ask about the 2005. From all I've heard it was an administrative catastrophy and there will be little chance of recuperating money at this point. I believe Patrick tried to get refunds for participants.

Default Games

Games can be viewed at http://chessasia.net/?page_id=336
    At this moment there is only form the first round.

Default WYCC - After 4 Rounds

As of Rd. 4, the leading Canadian members are:

Kelly Wang 3 1/2 ( U 8 Girls )

Lloy Mai 3 ( U 16 Open )
    Yelizaveta Orlova 3 ( U 14 Girls )

Joseph Bellissimo 2.5 ( U 8 Open )
    Tanraj Sohal. 2.5 ( U 12 Open )

Bob

I keep in touch with the parents and players. One story that I keep getting is:
    "Thanks very much for your e-mail. It is HOT and HUMID here! It is hard for the kids. There are just fans in the tournament area. I still had jet lag and wake uo at 4am everyday."
    "It was the hottest day so far and the girls had to play two games today."

I am still waiting to see how they like their CFC team Canada shirts.

Hi Ellen:

If some of the kids have internet access, maybe you could invite them to put a " blog " post here on the CFC Chess Forum? Be interesting to get their own impressions directly too.

Bob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast