Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3. President's Welcome & Report

This has been a matter of some controversy for some years and decisions from year to year have come down on both sides of the question.

The sticking point it seems is what happens to Executive members who are first elected as Governors in their home provinces (like me - since the BC AGM is like most AGMs held in May while the CFC AGM is in July and a big part of the Secretary's job is wheedling the next year's list from the present Governors and/or provincial execs - hint hint) and then elected to national positions.

Does their provincial executives have the right to nominate a replacement Governor? Some years the answer was yes, currently the answer is no (except for the President)

I think Bob's right on this and the Handbook language on this subject is some of the most arcane in the entire Handbook. If it were my call I would allow right of replacement but in 2010-11 my view did not carry the day.

Hi Lyle:

Just to be a bit clearer maybe, I am easy either way as to whether provincial representative governors, elected to the executive, become governors-at-large, like the President clearly is. That is why he can appoint a replacement provincial representative governor from his home province. I don't see any reason why this couldn't also be re the other elected executive - but I will simply go with the majority on this. The current status quo, where the opinion is that they remain provincial representative governors is also fine with me.

What I do want however, is that non-executive officers be clearly stated to be governors, where they are not governors before election - as is the case for the women's coordinator, Anna Jin. I don't like the current Handbook wording that says they are " like " governors. They should " BECOME " governors on election - straightforward and simple.

Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12