Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CFC Governors' Quarterly On-line Meetings to Remain Closed

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    Strata is another model. A member of a Strata group can always participate at any meetings.
    Could you provide their websites and especially a link to the (online) meetings?

The CFC AGM is open to public too.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Default Website

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Could you provide their websites and especially a link to the (online) meetings?

The CFC AGM is open to public too.
    There is no need for a website; now you are mocking my point... Someone can follow what is going on via Blackberry or similar; also all minutes are mailed to all members and they can drop by in person at any meeting they wish! If you don't want to see the parallel, say it and I will stop writing...

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    There is no need for a website; now you are mocking my point... Someone can follow what is going on via Blackberry or similar; also all minutes are mailed to all members and they can drop by in person at any meeting they wish! If you don't want to see the parallel, say it and I will stop writing...
    I just want to see how that goes in reality. Don't make far going conclusions from my request. Thnx.
    .*-1

Fred asked Do you have any real life examples of organizations that have a public forum governance meeting ?

Ken wonders why the format matters? Meeting behind closed doors is meeting behind closed doors regardless of technology.

Kerry, I can't speak for others but I want light to be shone on the debate of those chess issues, thus my opposition to meeting in private.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    Fred asked Do you have any real life examples of organizations that have a public forum governance meeting ?

Ken wonders why the format matters? Meeting behind closed doors is meeting behind closed doors regardless of technology.

Kerry, I can't speak for others but I want light to be shone on the debate of those chess issues, thus my opposition to meeting in private.
    Thanks for the clarifications. I have no objection to having the Governor debates in public (in fact, I would have voted in favour of it). What I do have a problem with is any governor who fails to abide by the decisions taken and simply ignoring rules they were not in favour of themselves. That is what you are saying, isn't it? You will provide details of Governor discussions (only if requested - I realize you aren't saying you will just repost everything on your personal blog or anything like that).

I just re-read the meeting rules in the CFC Handbook. There is nothing there to prohibit a Governor from discussing the meeting while it is in progress.

Default On-line Meeting Confidentiality

Hi Ken:

I can only speak to the intention of the rules drafter ( I had hoped the drafting captured the intention ).

The Meeting Procedures state that the meeting will take place on the CFC Governors' Discussion Board. It is " confidential ". The intention was that therefore the meetings would be " confidential ". This was done because there was significant opposition to the rules initially, and the rules had to be made as uncontentious as possible to try to get them passed at all ( and it was a " constitutional amendment " requiring 2/3 majority ). Hence we stuck with the meetings keeping the same nature as the discussion board.

Of course, now that the rules are firmly established, I am plumping for my first choice, which is " public view-only " open meetings - sadly defeated.

As an interim measure, I'd like the executive to decide to disclose fully, except for the deletion of any " confidential material ", the postings of the meeting. Fred implied that the executive might not have the power to do that, and that a governors' vote would be necessary. I leave it , for the moment, with the executive whether first of all they want to fully disclose the proceedings, now that they are concluded ( much better than truncated summaries ) and certain perceived risks no longer apply, and whether a vote should be taken if they are willing to open the meeting forum.

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 01-28-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries

First point: Ken, does anyone here actually still care about what Kevin Spraggett does or does not have to say about the CFC?

Second point: People in general do not like change, and when they accept it, they prefer it in small doses. Why not take BobA's advice and use baby steps, the next of which would be full release of all non-confidential posts publicly after the meeting.

Third point: Anyone who thinks anything the CFC Governors discuss is actually held confidential is simply dead wrong. There's always someone willing to talk to non-Governors. Before I became a Governor I could always get a copy of the GL way in advance of the public release.

Fourth point: There is some merit in the keeping of the live discussion private until the conclusion. Compare all you want with parliament, but MPs and MPPs are professional politicians with all kinds of party and staff support; comparing those to volunteer Governors is a bit unfair. Giving someone a chance to correct a mistaken post they've made before it's broadcast all over the internet is not a bad thing, IMHO. Also, since the Chair is not always "present" (ie Online, and unlike in Parliament) in our case, a discussion might get way out of hand into confidential matters before they had a chance to get online and move it to an "in camera" section.

First answer: some do, some don't. Many of us at one time or another have ben the objects of his comments.
    Second answer: The issue of transparency is fundamental to good governance.
    Third answer: You are correct. The information is available to anyone who asks for it.
    Fourth answer: You brief Governors on what issues are confidential ones. Land, labour and legal are the usual ones for our City Council.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234